Sign in to follow this  
Mirudes

‘Simulation fever’ - No bipods without weapon resting?

So lets better all together tell BIS that we want it in, reasonable working, instead of a 100% working weaponrest which most likely we wont see in another 10 years.

Right on. I agree totally.

Sure, and now tell the nice public server hosters which lot of people like to play on, to use the addon aswell.

Immidiatly it wouldnt be that public anymore, because when you try to join u get a nice error message and you would have to search for theyr homepage, find out which addons in which versions are allowed or a must-be and then find the addon in the correct version to download and install it.

Again, right on.

The implementation of bipod use in A2OA-based IFL44 (

) was a scripted solution, I assume. While such a solution may not be optimal in terms of performance and/or BIS policy for such features, it nevertheless worked perfectly in terms of gameplay, and is all most players would ever want. IFL44 (and ACE*) prove that the feature is possible in RV engine games. I hope that BIS could someday implement a scripted solution in a dev build for testing and evaluation, just like the recent WIP rain feature. If it works well, perhaps they could work on an engine solution for the feature.

But based on experience watching A2 development, it appears highly unlikely that BIS would ever implement weapon resting themselves. I think it would be simpler for them to leave this to the community, especially now after the full release of A3. Hopefully I am wrong.

* I never tried weapon resting in ACE, so I assume it works well based on some posts in this thread and in the feedback tracker.

Edited by OMAC

for some reason i reckon BIS might well put weapon resting in. it'd a friggen smart move on their behalf, especially as such a fudmental features popularity is quite off the hook. but they gotta do it right, support, weapon sway,limitation of movement, point of pivot, proper stance, time to get set, etc.

for some reason i reckon BIS might well put weapon resting in. it'd a friggen smart move on their behalf, especially as such a fudmental features popularity is quite off the hook. but they gotta do it right, support, weapon sway,limitation of movement, point of pivot, proper stance, time to get set, etc.

And AI, don't forget the poor AI... they still don't know how to use stance adjust

My fingers are crossed that Dwarden's continued urging will get management to buy in. :argue: Again, the IFL44 implementation addressed all the issues you mentioned, including time to get in, point of pivot, etc.

However, resting of weapons not having bipods was not implemented in IFL44. But if BIS could implement an IFL44-like solution for all infantry rifles and MG, that would be getting like 80-90% of the way there. If prone, resting would work only if weapon had a bipod. In crouch or standing, resting would work only if there is an object of suitable height in front of player within 1m distance, whether weapon had bipod or not.

Edited by OMAC

My fingers are crossed that Dwarden's urging will get management to buy in.
Pffft, at this point if it isn't in, then that's not for want of Dwarden's urging but rather in in spite of Dwarden's urging, presumably with DnA and RiE being the ones with the axe... (yes, this is an "abandon all hope" post)

My fingers are crossed that Dwarden's continued urging will get management to buy in. :argue: Again, the IFL44 implementation addressed all the issues you mentioned, including time to get in, point of pivot, etc.

However, resting of weapons not having bipods was not implemented in IFL44. But if BIS could implement an IFL44-like solution for all infantry rifles and MG, that would be getting like 80-90% of the way there. If prone, resting would work only if weapon had a bipod. In crouch or standing, resting would work only if there is an object of suitable height in front of player within 1m distance, whether weapon had bipod or not.

The ACE System worked even better than the IFL 44 model since you could rest every weapon on elevated surfaces (Car hood, low all etc.) and on vertical objects (house corner, tree, pole)

Pffft, at this point if it isn't in, then that's not for want of Dwarden's urging but rather in in spite of Dwarden's urging, presumably with DnA and RiE being the ones with the axe... (yes, this is an "abandon all hope" post)

Highly doubt it. A3 is not even a toddler yet, it can learn many tricks.

That was just me commenting on how much "Dwarden's urging" actually helped during pre-September 12th development (the answer is "no"), in the context of "lack of weapon resting is something that the other devs were fully aware of but it got omitted anyway -- meaning that even if it was because of time and resources, Dwarden's urging wasn't enough to get it take precedence in the development hierarchy presumably according to DnA" (by 'virtue' of DnA being project lead).

Sure, and now tell the nice public server hosters which lot of people like to play on, to use the addon aswell.

Immidiatly it wouldnt be that public anymore, because when you try to join u get a nice error message and you would have to search for theyr homepage, find out which addons in which versions are allowed or a must-be and then find the addon in the correct version to download and install it.

Part of the joy of playing in a small group/clan (private server), have a set mod/addons list, tuned for the best in everything, performance, quality of game-play, immersion and the rest, can’t beat it.

Also it would show you how arma is supposed to be played, judging from reading the forums here over many years, it seems probably 75% of players have never played it at its fullest, that’s really bad, because it’s a really outstanding game when played with like minded players with a great mod/addon setup. Maybe the reason why so many have found it easy to move along to a poorly equipped, pretty badly setup A3, if you haven't managed to play A2 at its best, then you would find it easy to move over. On the other hand there are many of us finding it hard to move over to A3, A2 still offers so much, even with its drawbacks.

Public servers!:butbut: the last of your worries is weapon resting:p.

That was just me commenting on how much "Dwarden's urging" actually helped during pre-September 12th development (the answer is "no"), in the context of "lack of weapon resting is something that the other devs were fully aware of but it got omitted anyway -- meaning that even if it was because of time and resources, Dwarden's urging wasn't enough to get it take precedence in the development hierarchy presumably according to DnA" (by 'virtue' of DnA being project lead).

so they implemented this for that old ass unreal 3 engine but somehow bis, government contract receiving expert on realism and authenticity cannot do this?

if realism, tactics inducing features like this are ignored, i'd like to know what exactly is higher on the bis priority list. light shafts? tweaking the arm patches over and over again? fiddling with vest weight values?

LOL

Still hoping this will get fixed at some point.

Edited by -Ghost-TF

Those videos are great!

I dream of bipods every time I fire up the game. It is one of those basic essentials. I guess we can hope. But I doubt any new features are going to come before the campaign runs its course. I am crossing my fingers that the Arma 3 OA equivalent will do the job... but that is along ways away.

Guess this, is on topic enough. Couple more days and it'll be public. Just need to finish adjusting the barrel mounted versions positioning (as this is needed for the current array of weapons in-game). The image is one of the rail mounted models (which works on the few weapons with bottom rails.. then theres the GL's, and then the.. and the..). Anyway, Robalo should have the configs done soon after I get things to him. ;)

Here's an official screenshot of what appears to be a deployed bipod on the right side:

Yeah there was a time during alpha when all bipdos were delployed (visually only). Then they switched it to how it is now.

LOL

Still hoping this will get fixed at some point.

LOL that vid was Fuckin brilliant.

Funny, and instructional. All noobs should be pointed towards it.