Sign in to follow this  
Mirudes

‘Simulation fever’ - No bipods without weapon resting?

Has anyone seen the physics in this before? Those terrain effects.

While that is very neat I'd rather leave it until ArmA 4 or even 5. It's very new tech which means there is no way BI could implement it effectively at this point (they would have to remodel the whole terrain to make various ground types have physical qualities, plus debugging, plus AI, plus there's a good chance it wouldn't work as intended, plus it would probably be crushingly CPU intensive in large vehicle battles)

Overall I could very well hope to see BI implement weapon resting so that when the weapon is relatively close to any surface (not precisely on it because in real life you can adjust your stance much more precisely than in ArmA3) you would have some visual indication (an icon on screen for example) and a removal of weapon sway and significant increase in full auto firing. Also when before the weapon starts clipping through something it would first be stopped by the object for a small time (a second maybe?) and then it would be held close to the body. This way you wouldn't hide your weapon by accident so easily in a firefight.

Now the main problem with this would be AI implementation, which I suspect would be next to impossible. But then again AI already has sniper like precision at times.

Bipods should be modeled so you have a button that deploys the bipod (just locks it to a point on the ground), at which point the swivel point is the bipod, aiming would be like a stationary machinegun (limited firing arc) but when you would move left or right (A and D keys) the soldier would crawl left or right rotating on the bipods axis. Pressing the bipod deployment key would unlock you so you can move about freely. While resting the bipod would have increased performance compared to no bipod, but would function identically (when close to surface).

This would probably be pretty easy to implement and would give the least problems if you ask me.

Bad Benson sent me a proof-of-concept that bipods are completely do-able. He had it so you can rest your weapon on any surface that your weapon could touch, and he had an actual bipod attachment that you could put on your guns which reduced recoil even more when the weapon rested. I'm starting to think that BIS is getting very lazy.

Bad Benson sent me a proof-of-concept that bipods are completely do-able. He had it so you can rest your weapon on any surface that your weapon could touch, and he had an actual bipod attachment that you could put on your guns which reduced recoil even more when the weapon rested. I'm starting to think that BIS is getting very lazy.

Well seeing as VTS weapon resting came out so quickly, ACE did it in Arma 2 etc etc it's obviously not the hardest thing to implement, and I'm going to hazard a guess that it would be easier to implement this than the some of the diving elements.

I think it's the small things that stop BIS from doing it, because if it's officially part of the game, no weird things are to be expected.

It's the same thing with jumping instead of vaulting when running. As long as there is the possibility that this can lead to you jumping through walls, BIS won't add it. And I guess there are similar things with bipods.

Both of this features have been done by the community rather quickly, but as long as it's not perfect, it will stay a mod.

I think it's the small things that stop BIS from doing it, because if it's officially part of the game, no weird things are to be expected.

It's the same thing with jumping instead of vaulting when running. As long as there is the possibility that this can lead to you jumping through walls, BIS won't add it. And I guess there are similar things with bipods.

Both of this features have been done by the community rather quickly, but as long as it's not perfect, it will stay a mod.

Well ArmA has a lot of features that are not perfect. Namely almost the entire vehicle part of the game.

Well ArmA has a lot of features that are not perfect. Namely almost the entire vehicle part of the game.

This.

Btw it was possible to vault through wall in Arma2 also :P

I wouldnt say devs are lazy, but from what i have seen (and have been in contact with some of them on another forums), its more like a lack of dedication due to doing basically the same game for fourth time now...

I wouldnt say devs are lazy, but from what i have seen (and have been in contact with some of them on another forums), its more like a lack of dedication due to doing basically the same game for fourth time now...

That shouldnt be a reason, since they get paid to make this awesome game + most of the devs are arma fans so... There might be another reason, but there is lack of communication when its about "Most wanted features for years" so cant really figure out why implementing a simple weapon resting, has to be so mysterious. I mean if there is a legit reason why they still havent implemented weapon resting then why wont they tell us? If there is no legit reason then why is it still not in the game?

That shouldnt be a reason, since they get paid to make this awesome game + most of the devs are arma fans so... There might be another reason, but there is lack of communication when its about "Most wanted features for years" so cant really figure out why implementing a simple weapon resting, has to be so mysterious. I mean if there is a legit reason why they still havent implemented weapon resting then why wont they tell us? If there is no legit reason then why is it still not in the game?

I don't want to put a tombstone on this thread, but I want to answer the question:

The developers have to rely on a functioning single-player mode. The SP mode is still a cash cow. In my opinion there could be problems in the single-player campaign when major changes are made. Only as an example: The AI is not good at lying with Bipods. This could discourage the developers to complete all these functions that are so strongly demanded here.

I also find it sad: You will not be able to play ArmA3 without mods if you have the normal standards of a simulation. The complexity is growing due to the fact that every function is somehow connected and interacting with the other. All the players have different hardware and some are already at the limit, even without additional features. Some players simply do not need a working AI, because they never play these missions, they simply don't want to waste processor power for that.

When I think about it, it looks as if BIS supports the user-mods from the beginning. One can see it through the early support of mods in the Alpha/Beta stage. The basic program acts as a framework that is well prepared and can be easily extended by Mods/scripts. There are dozens of evidence for functions that are already integrated but not work (yet) but can be extended with mods. I believe the company will force the user to use mods.

:icon_confused:

Back to Topic:

Works the AI with the weapon resting and bipods?

Is it better to realize this missing feature in the future with a mod?

Sounds really cool. Are you able to weapon rest if you don't have a bipod? I suppose if bipods being useable is featured as you say then weapon resting would be implementable also.

if BIS are lazy.... you make the game then... go on

people forget how hard these people work!

have some respect

Not lazy at all, they are some badass workin dudes, and doin good stuff.

Still they should let 1 guy work to implement some new "GAMEPLAY relevant" features for a bit, and not all just on bugfixing and creating new vehicles, weapons and fancy graphics / physics.

I mean there are already some nice addons for:

- Weapon rest

- Shooting from vehicles

I dont understand why they dont just put this addons in as default and overhaul them a bit.

Actually I think ACE got it spot on, except there's no bipod animation. Also resting a rifle on the hood of a humvee etc. works great with no bugs.

Actually I think ACE got it spot on, except there's no bipod animation. Also resting a rifle on the hood of a humvee etc. works great with no bugs.

Agree, ACE does it without problems

Sometimes ACE is a little slow on loading the fact you have your bipod down. Sometimes it's dodgy when it can't detect the object below you. The whole 'symbolization' to say 'you have your weapon rested' is like when you used to get bumped with a 'shoulder tap'. I think if those things got improved... and that 'bump' thing removed it would be better within a vanilla ARMA3. It's certainly a thumbs up and something that would be great to replicate to a degree in ARMA3 but not exactly as the ACE team did it.

Bipod resting has worked perfectly in Iron Front: Liberation 1944 since the beginning. Works when prone, in trench, and on hood of a vehicle. See video:

If it worked in 1944, why not in ~2035? ;)

Will AIs benifit from the bipod-deploy feature, if we finally get it?

Probably not, but given how lethal people say they are, do they really need it?

Bipod resting has worked perfectly in Iron Front: Liberation 1944 since the beginning. Works when prone, in trench, and on hood of a vehicle. See video:

If it worked in 1944, why not in ~2035? ;)

Your Honor, you rest our weapon case.

We shall not be quiet about weapon rest feature guys.

This game should be something like a milsim - ego shooter mix, and for a year of 2013 it is not acceptable that you cannot really use cover like sandbags, walls, stones, fallen trees, car hoods and so on as nice cover and shootin position for weapon rest.

If BIS doesnt know how to do it, look at some addons, look at ACE2, lookt at Iron front, or the already released Arma3 Weapon rest addon. Check out games like Red Orchestra or whatnot. Its not soo hard..

GO Dwarden, GO BIS, give us some good newwws :)

Seriously. Don't bother releasing until we have this. We shouldn't have to have it modded, it should be standard.

Indeed.

Can we actually, eventually get an answer from some DEVs, why its not in yet?

Why Dwarden has to fight since years for this basic, easy to implement feature? Its the most wanted feature by the community: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=432

Are there are some kind of "company political" thingies behind it? :292:

i could imagine, that the devs would want a "proper" implementation with complete animations. that would take time of course.

that makes sense. BUt I havent sth. against a placeholder - like implementation. The function itself is needed badly. It gives "positions" more stability. and makes twowers a deadly spot, and a precious place to conquer! it will change the whole battlefield.

the devs mentioned several times, that they are aiming for a release without placeholders. a.k.a. a polished release.

although i doubt they succeed! ;)

to be fair though: many aspects of arma 3 are already nicer and smoother than any previous title. and it is still some time till release.