Sign in to follow this  
Mirudes

‘Simulation fever’ - No bipods without weapon resting?

I don't think the recoil should reset back to fire position. The climb is there to make it more interesting and skillfull to stay on target.

The problem is that the climb is a bit too strong when standing and should reduce with lower stances. Then it would be more effective while still challenging.

I wonder how difficult it is to make the weapon resting work on all those rocks!?!??!

I'm talking about after a single shot. When I fire a rifle or a shotgun in real life, recoil kicks up and back and my muscle memory and gravity return the weapon to my original aimpoint with accuracy depending on my shooting stance. Now If I start rapidly popping off shots or firing full auto, I quickly lose my original aimpoint from muscle memory and that is when you start drifting upwards and have to fight the recoil.

It doesn't have to return your aim exactly 100% to your original aimpoint, but it could better simulate both gravity and muscle tension/memory, especially for single shots.

everyone knows i'm fighting for weapon resting, mantling and bipods for quite some time :) ... cause I like it since ... always (UT:I, AA, RO1/RO2 etc.) ;) )

everyone knows i'm fighting for weapon resting, mantling and bipods for quite some time :) ... cause I like it since ... always (UT:I, AA, RO1/RO2 etc.) ;) )

Well try harder :icon_twisted:

Not the first time I've said this, but BIS could use some more scripters on their team (atleast it seems like it anyways) :P

I don't think the recoil should reset back to fire position. The climb is there to make it more interesting and skillfull to stay on target.

The problem is that the climb is a bit too strong when standing and should reduce with lower stances. Then it would be more effective while still challenging.

I wonder how difficult it is to make the weapon resting work on all those rocks!?!??!

I agree completely, recovery from recoil should be down to the player and not just letting go of the trigger for the alloted time while it auto recovers like most other FPS shooters.

Adds a little more effort and skill into using a weapon. Like it should be.

Bipods still need to function though, go Dwarden.

Go Dwarden!

Seriously we need Bipods. Currently you can´t really set up a MG position on a balkony, or a window, or a low wall. This all becomes possible with weapon resting (and yes, I think you should be able to rest all weapons, just like in ACE)

FFS even the very first COD (well ok, the expansion) had proper Bipods

Edited by Tonci87

Go Dwarden!

Seriously we need Bipods. Currently you can´t really set up a MG position on a balkony, or a window, or a low wall. This all becomes possible with weapon resting (and yes, I think you should be able to rest all weapons, just like in ACE)

FFS even the very first COD (well ok, the expansion) had proper Bipods

I still can't believe this ISN'T a feature yet. Being unable to shoot your MG because there's a perfect wall for resting it on but oh, oh no if you try and shoot over it the recoil is far too much.... what the hell!? Battlefield 3 (arguably an extremely arcade game) has this, Red Orchestra has this, so why doesn't *the* milsim have it? This should be a core feature, like being able to sprint or having helicopters, it should be part of Arma.

Bipods still need to function though, go Dwarden.
Go Dwarden!

What can i add ? Go Dwarden :moto:

Hello there

i like the i44 way which can be set to automatic deploy for all weapons, but I would also like an "action" to deploy bipods/sticks on Rifles and LMG's

Make it so. Chop, chop!

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

i like the i44 way which can be set to automatic deploy for all weapons, but I would also like an "action" to deploy bipods/sticks on Rifles and LMG's

Make it so. Chop, chop!

Rgds

LoK

Yes, this seems to be the way to go. Automatic weapon resting with no loss in sensitivity (otherwise it would take control away from the player) if the weapon is held relatively still near cover for x.x seconds (0.5 seconds perhaps?), if weapon is rested it can be deployed (bind a control to it, much like shift+space in ACE2 or Ctrl+Space in VTS' weapon resting, which doesn't work in the beta! GRRRR) which plays an animation and takes control away from the player. The animation doesn't have to be good, it could just be a shake like in VTS, nor does the rotational point of the weapon have to change a la Ro2 but I think this really must be implemented.

Just a funny note, in the "supports" showcase the introductory picture shows the soldier "resting" his sniper on the wall (in reality just looking over the wall), of course trying this in mission the sway is too high to shoot out to 350m, the minimum infantry distance at that area. The sniper in the mission also has an always stowed bipod. It's as if the mission was designed with weapon resting in mind but... it's just not there!

EDIT: Should read first. What he said ^

Just look at the new showcase mission "Support", combined with the stance adjustment it would make all the diference there.

I think the devs love to see functional bipods/weapon resting in their game, but -that all we know- they have limited resources and engine limitation.

Yeah, Im sure BIS got the message now....

They are undoubtedly working on it.

I think the devs love to see functional bipods/weapon resting in their game, but -that all we know- they have limited resources and engine limitation.

There's a mod that even lets you rest your weapon on the shoulders of your crouching teammates from what I've seen in videos.

Saying it is a minor feature is a massive understatement. Lack of weapon resting makes many, many areas that would be ideal firing positions completely useless. I have cursed the lack of weapon resting more than any other feature in the game.

Go Dwarden!

When beta first came out I played one MP game and then called it quits as I just cant stand the default sway and recoil when prone or against objects(simulation fever).The next day CBA was fixed and I was right back into MP.I also cant understand the devs thinking on this and lately I find myself wondering if the devs actually play their game. Add in the fact that out of few servers that are full I can only play on one or two of them because of the VTS weapon mod and again I wonder if the devs actually play the game??

At the least add in what VTS weapon resting has and fix the sway when weapon is resting...plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for the love of all that is Arma.:pray:

And coupled with the current recoil model, it makes any machinegun totally useless except as CQB weapons, because you can't fire a reasonably accurate burst at anything 200m+ even when prone, while cursing at the nicely modelled bipod stuck to your barrel...(M249 officialy claimed reasonably point accurate to 600m on bipod. Try that in A3 while prone - your shots will be 100 meters all around with even a small burst)

while cursing at the nicely modelled bipod stuck to your barrel

i will never understand why the models have these and ontop of that in a folded position. i mean wtf?! just leave them out if you'Re not gonna make them functional. kinda obvious one would think.

i honestly would prefer them removing the bipods now and get it over with. i mean if they don't plan on even unfold them and give weapons that have them super low prone recoil, then what'S the point?

Something I noticed is that the recoil is very manageable when using iron sights and just gets worse and worse with the amount of zoom even with just zooming in the normal eye view.Is this an engine limitation?If this could be fixed it would make the weapons feel rather nice IMO.

Are you sure it gets worse and that it isn't just the zoomed camera making it appear worse? Like the shaking of a recording in a video camera, far more difficult to hold steady when fully zoomed in without a tripod.

I am judging this by the amount of mouse movement I need to keep bullets on target.Iron sighted and its a comfortable downward pull and then gets worse from there.Its a negative aspect that comes from the way the mouse speed decreases when you zoom in.

Go in game and point at object and do a 360deg turn.Then do the same with eyeball zoom and then with an optic.It takes me one travel of my mouse pad to do 360,2 travels of mouse pad to do 360 with eye zoom and a full 6 mouse pad lengths with MRCO optics up.

So a weapon that feels good when iron sighted is terrible when using an optic and this hopefully is what is being changed with the recoil enhancement.

I am judging this by the amount of mouse movement I need to keep bullets on target.Iron sighted and its a comfortable downward pull and then gets worse from there.Its a negative aspect that comes from the way the mouse speed decreases when you zoom in.

Go in game and point at object and do a 360deg turn.Then do the same with eyeball zoom and then with an optic.It takes me one travel of my mouse pad to do 360,2 travels of mouse pad to do 360 with eye zoom and a full 6 mouse pad lengths with MRCO optics up.

So a weapon that feels good when iron sighted is terrible when using an optic and this hopefully is what is being changed with the recoil enhancement.

If sensitivity didn’t decrease when zooming you wouldn’t hit a wall. Or the sea while underwater.

Could definitely be an option... along with "hold to decrease sensitivity by x%".

If sensitivity didn’t decrease when zooming you wouldn’t hit a wall. Or the sea while underwater.

Could definitely be an option... along with "hold to decrease sensitivity by x%".

I know it has to be done for a reason but the fact that the recoils are affected when zooming should be fixed.I think a lowering of each weapons individual recoil model needs to be implemented for each of the various zoom levels.Talking out my ass here so I may be way off course.Hopefully it can be fixed and we don't hear the dreaded engine limitation.

I noticed that as well, recoil is amplified by the amount of zoom. At first I thought it was just because you could see your target with better precision but I did a couple tests and sure enough if you go between the red dot on the RCO or ARCO and the magnified optic, there's a difference in recoil.

I am 99% sure that zoom has zero effect on recoil. If you shoot at at a rock with zero zoom and then shoot at it with "eyeball zoom" the reticle will end up approximately the same ingame distance from the rock. On the screen It will appear the rifle raises more because you are zoomed in and everything appears bigger, but in actuality your gun moves the same number of degrees/MOA.

It is worth mentioning that recoil has a random factor to it. Sometimes you will take a shot and it will result in far more displacement than the next shot. But this has nothing to do with zoom.

Wolfstriked made a very good observation about zoom and mouse sensitivity. Basically the higher the zoom the lower the sensitivity. This makes it so that even though the the recoil is the same at higher zooms, the mouse control you have to deal with that recoil is not. The more zoom the less sensitive the mouse, and the more you have to pull down. I think this is a problem.

To solve it zoom should simply have no effect on mouse sensitivity. this means the amount you pull down on the mouse is consistent. As Sneakson says, this will make it harder to shoot with magnified optics but honestly I think this is a good thing. It is not easy to line up a shot with a 12x scope at far range.

Edited by -Coulum-