Sign in to follow this  
weaponsfree

ALPHA Campaign - OPERATION DARDANELLES

OPERATION DARDANELLES

Updated for BETA. This is a 6 mission campaign for Stratis. It is intended to be an introduction to an eventual full campaign on Altis. You play as Voodoo squad (in some missions you can play as an alternative squad) taking part of the invasion of Stratis.

The focus is on action, and the difficulty is high. There is a mix of behind enemy line missions and full company sized operations. The former require very focused player action, and the latter play out mostly on their own, but will most likely fail if the player is not actively pushing the objective. They are all offensive missions, as I preferred to keep the action focused on taking/destroying objectives instead of defending them.

They are all playable in either Coop (some missions allow for more players, but at least 4 for each level is good) or SP. Coop is recommended for many given their difficulty.

A quick breakdown of the missions :

1. Preparation - Stratis is held by an enemy battalion. In order to prepare for an amphibious assault on the southern edge of the island, your squad must take out a recon helo to avoid it being used to detect the attacking NATO force.

2. Invasion! - Several squads will hit 3 separate beaches to take and hold the southern edge of the Island.

3. Consolidation - NATO forces must take Air Station Mike to neutralize OPFOR's long range air radar, and to secure the high ground at the center of the island.

4. Sabotage - In order to weaken OPFOR's ability to resist, your squad will insert behind enemy lines and take out an ammo dump, then ambush enemy motorized infantry.

5. Knock Down - The enemy HQ is located inside the fortified village of Agios. Break through the front line, and push deep into enemy territory to take out the HQ.

6. Rout! Enemy Forces are in full rout, using boats and helicopters departing from the airfield. They have a strong fortified bottleneck protecting their egress, so a sniper team will seize the heights overlooking the airfield, and track and kill the OPFOR battalion commander before he escapes.

There is of course no campaign system in the game yet, so you'll have to play the missions individually and in order if you want the progression.

Features :

• Playable in SP and Coop (4 players, 8 in bigger missions)
  • Instant respawn after 60 seconds. I tend to prefer this over group respawn so all players make it to the end, the long wait time should be the needed deterrent for overly aggressive/stupid actions. If feedback on this is negative, I can change it.
  • Uses on screen objective update system
  • Random enemy placement and patrols when possible (last sniper mission has a lot of randomness for your target location)
  • Full briefing with map icons
  • VAS in starting vehicles
  • Respawn with kit

Changelog:

v102

• Added =BTC= Revive script
  • Few minor tweaks

v101

• VAS added (Thanks to Tonic-_-) Check insertion vehicles for the ammobox. Last mission doesn't use it, snipers only.
  • Respawn with previous gear (aeroson scripts)
  • Updated for BETA

v100

• First public release

Edited by WeaponsFree

There is of course no campaign system in the Alpha, so you'll have to play the missions individually

I have tiny config addon that adds the campaign menu so you could make this a real campaign and not just single missions?

Define this in a config to get the campaigns menu:

class CfgMissions
{
class Campaigns
{
 class YourTAG_Dummy {};
};
};

Or define your campaign as addon campaign altogether (so not to A3\campaigns but A3\@Modfolder\addons).

Thanks guys. At work now, but will take some time to look at the configs. Would be ideal!

Updated to 101.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tvg7vhfbxsltzx/Operation_Dardanelles_v101.rar

- VAS added (Thanks to Tonic-_-) Check insertion vehicles for the ammobox. Last mission doesn't use it, snipers only.

- Respawn with previous gear (aeroson scripts)

For now I have not been able to setup a campaign system, but if it is possible, will down the line.

In the first mission, the extract boat was destroyed by the time we got there... I think it was beached or something.

Good missions WeaponsFree.I played them in SP and really enjoyed them.Well worth a play through.

Cheers,keep up the good work pal,

Mick. :)

Firts mission the boat didn´t extract, even using the command in radio or support.

Also, maybe you should down the AI precision a bit. Had to lower the enemy skill to regular to be playable for me.

Thanks for the positive feedback 3instein :)

@Cvirtuoso and Geraldus : Thanks for the bug reports, and yeah, that first extraction boat gave me trouble before. I think it's destroyed by the recon chopper if it takes off before you can destroy it. As for it refusing to extract, I'll check it out. The move to BETA may have caused a few issues (for example, in mission two, I think some of the other insertion boats don't land properly anymore)

As for the AI precision, I noticed the same thing. Again I suspect the switch to BETA, since some of my playthroughs since have been met with some pretty insane enemy accuracy at range compared to when I first built the missions. The enemies are already all set to zero skill in the editor, so I'll have to look for some other alternatives.

Cheers

How about adding a no-respawn version? This sounds very interesting but I don't like respawn. Takes away the atmosphere for me. :(

How about adding a no-respawn version? This sounds very interesting but I don't like respawn. Takes away the atmosphere for me. :(

I figured the 60 second INSTANT respawn would not be popular with everyone. My buddies and I tend to prefer it to avoid players being killed within 2 minutes of the start, then being out of the game for 45 minutes. I sometimes impose a 120 second cool down to further force players to reconsider rambo style action.

I'll consider making a seperate version, but it's extra "paperwork". So for now I think the 60 second INSTANT fits with these kind of missions (high enemy/friendly ratio). If others want to chime in, it will help me decide if it's worth removing respawn (I don't think GROUP respawn will work because the player squads are small to begin with)

Sure, maybe I'll look into it even with respawn. :)

I figured the 60 second INSTANT respawn would not be popular with everyone. My buddies and I tend to prefer it to avoid players being killed within 2 minutes of the start, then being out of the game for 45 minutes. I sometimes impose a 120 second cool down to further force players to reconsider rambo style action.

I'll consider making a seperate version, but it's extra "paperwork". So for now I think the 60 second INSTANT fits with these kind of missions (high enemy/friendly ratio). If others want to chime in, it will help me decide if it's worth removing respawn (I don't think GROUP respawn will work because the player squads are small to begin with)

I tend to prefer revive where one of your mate must get close to use a medikit. I feel that as the most realistic approach.

I too vote for a revive script.

-Having to eliminate the threat and rely on your buddies to save you adds an element of fun I think.

Also, we got to the extraction point to find a destroyed boat.

- Could you script it so the boat only spawns after the "destroy chopper" task is completed?

Otherwise a very good mission!

Looking forward to the other chapters.

Hoobie7

I have yet to play around with revives, but sounds like a good suggestion. I am not sure which are best. INS_revive seems like one that's regularly updated. Any other suggestions?

@Hoobie7 : That destroyed extraction boat in the first mission seems to be a recuring issue. But I prefer keeping it as a viable extraction point even if the chopper is not destroyed. It's the same with the 4th (Sabotage!) mission, which you can extract from at any point to end the mission. The reason being that I've enjoyed many failed missions, being forced to sprint wildly to the extraction boat while being chassed, shot at, etc (regular occurance on Sabotage if I am not fast enough in completing the objectives and my position gets swarmed). I find that more fun than having a mission failed prompt the moment an objective is failed. That being said there is surely a way to keep the boat from being destoryed. I'll either do a spawn upon the player getting close to the extraction zone, or do some testing to see who is destroying the boat and make some corrections.

And thanks for the positive feedback :). You mention good mission in singular. You tried the other missions in the pack?

Very nice, I'll try the missions ASAP...

Yay!

You got me - I just played the first mission (failed hard in the end). I did not notice any respawn. If I died I had to restart/revert and team mates didnt come back either.

However, this looks very nice and is fun to play. :)

How about putting the missions in a folder? If you have a folder in the Arma3\Missions dir then it is shown as one folder with the missions inside ingame, maybe as a placeholder for real campaign.

tvj12

Edited by SeiFe

Great laugh had on the ck and some guys today, we only did mission one, any chance of a revive as well as the respawn?

Thanks for the missions.

You got me - I just played the first mission (failed hard in the end). I did not notice any respawn. If I died I had to restart/revert and team mates didnt come back either.

However, this looks very nice and is fun to play. :)

How about putting the missions in a folder? If you have a folder in the Arma3\Missions dir then it is shown as one folder with the missions inside ingame, maybe as a placeholder for real campaign.

No respawns? Well, are you playing in multiplayer? Sorry for the dumb question, but I ask just in case since the respawns only apply for MP.

As for putting the missions in a folder, I've been looking at ways to make a genuine campaign. There is a way to create it as an addon, which should add the campaign button in the UI, but I have to get down to making it work. In the meantime, I think your suggestion is a good idea.

Great laugh had on the ck and some guys today, we only did mission one, any chance of a revive as well as the respawn?

Hope the laughs were laughs of joy and wonder :) And yes, revive has been asked a few times, so I'll be adding some in next version. Checking out the options out there (BTC and INS mostly).

No respawns? Well, are you playing in multiplayer? Sorry for the dumb question, but I ask just in case since the respawns only apply for MP.

As for putting the missions in a folder, I've been looking at ways to make a genuine campaign. There is a way to create it as an addon, which should add the campaign button in the UI, but I have to get down to making it work. In the meantime, I think your suggestion is a good idea.

Oh, I didn't start as multiplayer and if there's no respawn for SP… well… i won't. :icon_twisted:

I think I'll try the mission again today.

Thanks for the missions.

Yeah, missions look fun! Only played the 1st so far, me,Jeza and the lads were pinned down in a building!

Kept dying so would've been nice to drag their asses and revive lol

Awesome campaign. Been having a blast playing it. Thanks!

And BTW, I think the 60 sec instant respawn is good for Arma noobs like me.

Maybe you could just offer a "pro" version as well, with no respawn :P

Good campaign man !

Nice missions mate! Thanks! :) Had fun! Although in 2nd mission the ai tends to get stuck in the boats.

Edited by Byku