Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy123

Mask Mapper Difficulties

Unfortunately rockets tutorial listed on the BI site is no longer around, so I unfortunately I'm stuck with quite a few questions on this subject. I downloaded the tool and tried importing my att map as grey scale image, but I first realized that the sample image on the BI site had only the white zones as vegetation, and black zones as blank, so I may need to use the magic wand tool to cut out my vegetation areas and past them onto a black bacground, but I'm not sure at the moment.

I also wondered what resolution I should be using, since 16384 seems to be too large for the program and it crashes, but that may be due to another issue.

I'm also confused for the parameters and information settings, is one just for using one objects and the other used for mixing multiple (r g b channels?)

Sorry for all the questions, but any guidelines for using this program woould save me hours of frustration

Thanks for any help!

Andrew

Any particular reason why you're not using World Tools Forest Generator?

Rockets tool was more or less the "first of the bunch" on the Community Random Placer tools front, but Forest Generator (not limited to forests if you have a pressing need to randomly place, say, rocks instead) generally superseded Mask Mapper when it emerged - especially now with all the refinements that have been added to it by Shezan74 right up to the current WT 1.8 version...

The one major "limitation" of the WT Forest Generator is it's mask limit of 5120x5120 pixels, but thats not actually much of a limit at all...

Lets say you have an 8192x8192 - 8x8km terrain - you might perhaps only use a 4096x4096 "Forest Mask" for World Tools...

If you think about it - if you actually could use an 8192x8192 pixel mask, the Forest Generator would end up "rolling the dice" and possibly planting a tree in two of those pixels side-by-side... it's not often you'd actually want to allow the possibility of two trees only 1 meter apart! - That's a Very dense forest, and it's likely to look ugly if the trees "overlap"...

By using a 4096x4096 mask with x2 multiplier setting for your terrain in WT, and only allowing the possibility of one object per "mask pixel" - (which is actually 2x2 realworld meters), then you're basically guaranteeing a minimum spacing of 2 meters between items - much safer for Forests..

In fact, sometimes in a situation like above I'd use a 4096x4096 mask for my bush and small rocks areas, and seperately use a 2048x2048 mask - just for my big Forest trees - guarantee them that minimum 4 meter spacing between them...

B

Never heard of World Tools Forest Generator til now, i'll give it a shot asap!

**Just finished using world tools, perhaps the handiest/most straightfoward tool i've tried yet! Should save me hours of time

Edited by dinoboy123

I use world tools, and its about the only thing in my terrain making process that a monkey could do! Its really intuitive, and hardly ever causes problems, it is a bit like visitor in the sense that when your creating large areas of vegetation it looks like its going to crash. But it does get there eventually, i would suggest doing small parts of vegetation at a time though, because i have yet to find its limits :P