Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

"Combat Stance 3 seconds" - will I need this?

Has anyone seen the "Combat Stance 3 seconds" setting in the key binding screen? What's the idea/discussion behind this, I have missed it...

Nope, haven't seen that and can't think I'd ever need it. I never use "combat ready" stance anyway. Just go to optics non scope.

I never use "combat ready" stance anyway. Just go to optics non scope.

This is what I do - but that may be because I'm old fashioned ;) Personally I see the combat stance as a rather useless/weaker non scoped optics mode.

I'm a bit surprised we have a setting with a timer now. Well, people could come up and ask for "Combat Stance 5 seconds"...

Well I guess its good to have so that people can set it up the way they want... More options = better

I think its for people who play with cross-hair on (most unfortunately)

In my opinion playing with cross-hair and 3rd person ruins the unique experience of ARMA but each to his own I guess.

Basically "combat stance 3 seconds" is exactly what it looks like: causes the character to temporarily go into combat pace with a click instead of "combat pace temporary" ("temporary" in the Controls basically meaning "hold down the keybind to get this function" instead of toggle).

The only time I saw it bound was with the Arma 3 Alternative preset, but of course, that won't force anyone to actually use it. As EDcase said, more options.

For the benefit of anyone reading this at a time when the Feedback Tracker might be down for whatever reason:

So, the new behaviour is:

1.) with Arma3 default key preset

if you press LMB while runnign, nothing happens

2.) with Arma3 Alternative key preset

if you press LMB while running, you are switched to combat pace temporarily, allowing you to fire your weapon

also if you have custom key mapping, you can associate "Combat Pace 3sec." with LMB - in options - controls - infantry movement

And this is another missed opportunity to give some differences to the weapons.There should be differences in the time it takes to raise a weapon to firing position so that when running with weapon slightly lowered the lighter weapons are better.Off topic?:p

In my opinion playing with cross-hair and 3rd person ruins the unique experience of ARMA but each to his own I guess.

This times infinite. I cannot emphasize enough how much of a waste it is to try and get someone playing Arma and they instantly start playing in third person :mad:

I have "3 seconds" bound to my primary mouse button. It lets you shoot even when running by automatically slowing you down to combat pace.

Combat pace by the way is quicker than walking is but less exhausting than running.

I have "3 seconds" bound to my primary mouse button. It lets you shoot even when running by automatically slowing you down to combat pace.

Sounds very! interesting, will try this... though I'll probably more often go for optics, if in combat. Anyway maybe its an option...

Edited by tortuosit

Combat pace by the way is quicker than walking is but less exhausting than running.

Wow, that's a very cool idea. Must try that aswell. :)

If you switch to the Arma 3 Alternative preset you can try it out since the preset already has "3 seconds" bound to Prim. Mouse Btn. and usable in the manner that Sneakson described. :D Just note that on semiauto it basically acts as "go to combat pace and raise the weapon from low ready" on the first click while actual firing would be on the next click... but on full auto the first shot actually happens before the weapon is shouldered/in the raised position and thus will go wide (downward and leftward) though the subsequent shots occur while the weapon is raised and thus are "normal" full auto fire. The main benefit intended seems to be that you don't have to use the left thumb 'just' for combat pace/crouch/stepover/maybe-prone/binoculars or at least you could take combat pace out of that rotation by using "3 seconds" instead...

This times infinite. I cannot emphasize enough how much of a waste it is to try and get someone playing Arma and they instantly start playing in third person :mad:

I love the player models way too much that I could always play in first person. Also I like it much better for running a long distance.

However, I understand that there a people who don't like 3rd person. Just don't use it and avoid servers that offer it (it is still a server setting, isn't it?).

Jogging in not combat pace -> Leftclick -> Going into combat pace 3 sec. - Feels natural and perfect. Could even be a builtin behaviour.

The annoying thing though is that you can't go immediately into a sprint after initiating it. You have to wait until the 3 seconds are up. Although you can slow to a walk during that time.

Sounds very! interesting, will try this... though I'll probably more often go for optics, if in combat. Anyway maybe its an option...
Wow, that's a very cool idea. Must try that aswell. :)

I thought everyone knew. I guess I thought it was default ever since I switched to Alternative when I redid my keybindings a while back and I'm still stuck on Alternative whenever I clear them again.

It’s practical though. More practical than LMB not doing anything while running.

The annoying thing though is that you can't go immediately into a sprint after initiating it. You have to wait until the 3 seconds are up. Although you can slow to a walk during that time.

Can't you run though? I didn't try sprinting but I think you can increase to running.

If you're going to use a feature that calls itself a 3-second tactical stance, I'd say it's going to take 3 seconds for it to finish :)

No, it should put you in combat pace for three seconds until you manually change speed. You can decrease to walk at any time during those three seconds. You should be able to run or sprint.

I can immediately go to sprint. It is on shift+w here and development branch.

If you're going to use a feature that calls itself a 3-second tactical stance, I'd say it's going to take 3 seconds for it to finish :)

It doesn't though hahaha! It only takes barely 2 seconds, at least it did yesterday and since it was implemented!