Sign in to follow this  
Michaelp800

Serious injuries (graphic) - gore/violence

Will there be realistic human body damage? E.g. serious (graphic) injuries? I think there is not a complex medical treating system... so the heavy injuries means the player is dead instantly. But it will give the other players around a better combat feeling.

But will there be a better medical treating system than in ArmA 2? For "minor" injuries like broken bones (e.g. hit by bullet)? And can we see the injuries in details?

Don't worry about USK or PEGI 18. For sensitive users the gore and violence should be selectable. But I really miss those side effects. Sure, it's not the focus of the game. But a nice effect.

Gore and violence are big and realistic components of war!

Edited by Michaelp800

The devs said that there will be no gore ( blown off limbs, gushing wounds, etc)

As for the medial system, it's still an open subject, however the system will stay the same in the BETA.

OK.

Maybe in a further version (if more players would wish that feature)?

OK.

Maybe in a further version (if more players would wish that feature)?

I wish this

+1. Really, it's a sim, and the maiming in VBS2 looks really good. It's bad enough that .50 cal rounds won't penetrate paper, they should at least start showing they've been there, so to speak.

They could at least add something like limping around when shot in the leg from VBS2, that'd be very nice.

+1. Really, it's a sim, and the maiming in VBS2 looks really good. It's bad enough that .50 cal rounds won't penetrate paper, they should at least start showing they've been there, so to speak.

They could at least add something like limping around when shot in the leg from VBS2, that'd be very nice.

Eh, when the snipers were released the first thing I tested was penetration. The GM6 can easily kill a soldier in one shot through a wall at 1700 meters. You can get it through 2 walls and a door below 600m if you're lucky. The only one's lacking are the .408 and the 7.62 rounds. the .408 needs to be within 300-600m to penetrate a hard surface and the 7.62 needs to be within 50-100m.

I do agree though that the wounding visuals could be improved.

For the simulation proposal the existing graphical injuries it´s fine. I think the use of bigger stains and splashing of blood would not be harm like OFP has them, a big stain covering the model face indicating damage.

Really, it's a sim.

Nop, it's a game, with simulation elements. VBS is a simulator. :cool:

I dont think adding gore to this game would add anything more to the table, the pace the game is at combined with the size of the enviroments would basically mean all that gore is wasted on all but a select few that would be running up to every body to see the gore. blood stains are to convey that someone is injured or dead which is all they are needed for really.

omg i wish this was on the box.

No Rabbits were harmed during the making of the game

WVMYoNY3GNQ

I suspect Arma 3 would start falling foul of various censorship laws in certain countries if they added dismemberment.

Doubt BIS want the hassle of having to sort out things like a separate "reduced-violence version" of the game for e.g. the German distribution market, when they've made it very clear that producing multiple localised versions and patches for the game was something they wanted to avoid for Arma 3, and was casus belli for the whole 'Steam only' distribution.

VBS2 mainly has it because it has an impact on how trainees respond to wounded comrades and then go about conducting Battlefield Casualty Extraction drills. It's not there simply because it looks 'more realistic'. To this end I can't say I even notice it as a feature when I'm playing VBS2 most of the time, because as a gamer and not a military trainee; doing battlefield extraction drills aren't conducive to the way I play VBS2. There's no way I can make those units fully combat effective again like I can with a wounded comrade in Arma, so whether a guy is missing a limb or not becomes rather by-the-by.

blood stains are to convey that someone is injured or dead which is all they are needed for really.

As I said it would be a nice side effect. If I take look on the injured body parts I wanna see some blood and structural damage (depending on kind of injury). Or a SABOT hits a body... there I wanna see the physical reaction. It's not beautiful, but gives a good game feeling.

Last but not least, I hope the characters will be modifiable for realistic gore and injuries mods.

//EDIT

In all ArmA version I miss detailed injuries like staying too close behind a weapon with back blast.

Edited by Michaelp800

C'mon now man, the game's motto = "This is war."

On top of that gore and dismemberment has been a factor in gaming since the days of Quake and perhaps before I can't recall any titles offhand.

Could You please confirm that dismemberment/realistic woundings will be possible to mod in or it will stay spawn body model like in SLX?

Just seen the video that Thromp put and it seems that it is possible but im not sure if these are particles or real bodies?

Anyway harming innocent rabbits in such cruel way should be banned - not untrustworthy human-like characters! :eek:

In my eyes it should be modifiable. But why not implement in the vanilla version anyway? Then nobody needs to mod. For sensitive ppl there can be a button to disable or something like that (or a button to enable).

In my opinion it would be nice as mod, but not in vanilla (even if switchable).

It could really harm more in some countries than it is worth it.

And to be honest, I never felt a need for more gore in ArmA / Ofp.

It is something you watch one or two times in the editor and then you ignore it.

The only reason hardgore should be used is when the story needs it to reflect specific situations (like in ArmA 2 the massgraves).

Opposite:

Will female soldiers exist? Can 2 soldiers have triple X?

Same story, it is something you watch one or two times because it is something new and then you ignore it.

Also here the only reason would be if the story needs it to bring a specific emotion.

In germany no gore, but sex ok.

rest of the world, no sex, but gore ok.

Do we really need to touch the edges?

I wouldn't mind them, but I don't really see what they add to Arma. I love blowing the guys dick off in Soldier of Fortune or watching the enemy in Quake and Unreal turn in to a crimson cloud of gibs; but it's just there to look cool/funny, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay. The current blood effect does the job of showing if you're injured just fine, so I honestly don't think I would pay additional gore any attention what so ever. Basically I think this should be left to modders while Bohemia work on things that have an impact on the game. Unfortunately the only impact I really see this having is lowering performance further and possibly getting it banned from a few countries. (Thanks, benign fascism!)

And trust me, I really enjoy gore in games, I just don't see the need to add it to vanilla in this particular type of game.

I love blowing the guys dick off in Soldier of Fortune ...

You might want to reword that :rolleyes:

That 'shot thru the eye' texture from Arma2 was pretty brutal so Im not sure what all the fuss is about. Personally I'd like more blood as in splatter on the wall (aka slx mod) and splatter behind the point of impact on the ground (for the CSI/forensics minded among us).

Eh, when the snipers were released the first thing I tested was penetration. The GM6 can easily kill a soldier in one shot through a wall at 1700 meters. You can get it through 2 walls and a door below 600m if you're lucky. The only one's lacking are the .408 and the 7.62 rounds. the .408 needs to be within 300-600m to penetrate a hard surface and the 7.62 needs to be within 50-100m.

I do agree though that the wounding visuals could be improved.

To explain in more detail: .50 cal rounds IRL go through people, walls, etc. several times over, killing and/or penetrating things on the other side. In Arma, they stop at once, of course killing whoever they hit, but never going through the guy they hit. That's one of the reasons MILES and similair systems are quite lacking when it comes to simulating reality.

To explain in more detail: .50 cal rounds IRL go through people, walls, etc. several times over, killing and/or penetrating things on the other side. In Arma, they stop at once, of course killing whoever they hit, but never going through the guy they hit. That's one of the reasons MILES and similair systems are quite lacking when it comes to simulating reality.

If thats the case we should also have to calculate the effect of blood on the round as it passed though the body and then add the effect of wind resistance dynamically has on the bullet as it spins and the blood is flung off of it due to the change in mass..........

This is a game, its not VBS its just built with VBS technology which has stuff like blood flow/loss and wounding and dismemberment. At what point does it have to be simulated for sake of accuracy?

You have to ask your self how does this add any sort of value, mission makers can add in items which can be penetrated by bullets, its really up to the mission maker to provide accurate forms of cover for the players.

Personally I'd like more blood as in splatter on the wall (aka slx mod) and splatter behind the point of impact on the ground (for the CSI/forensics minded among us).

Again would this add value? in an assasination mission maybe, in a cut scene maybe, in which case this can be scripted with textures and a custom model if needed. but if your playing A&S or TDM does blood splatters everywhere add anything of value when you consider how large the enviroments are? I doubt i would spend more than a few moments of where i was required to be due to sitting in any one place for too long makes you a target.

To explain in more detail: .50 cal rounds IRL go through people, walls, etc. several times over, killing and/or penetrating things on the other side. In Arma, they stop at once, of course killing whoever they hit, but never going through the guy they hit. That's one of the reasons MILES and similair systems are quite lacking when it comes to simulating reality

Pretty sure that bullets can penetrate multiple people in arma. I was playing around with the sniper rifle and at 800 metres I shot a civvie. directly behind him was another civvie. Both went down from the single shot. And I often notice bullet impacts behind the guy I just shot indicating the bullet went through him and hit the ground.

Again would this add value? in an assasination mission maybe, in a cut scene maybe, in which case this can be scripted with textures and a custom model if needed. but if your playing A&S or TDM does blood splatters everywhere add anything of value when you consider how large the enviroments are? I doubt i would spend more than a few moments of where i was required to be due to sitting in any one place for too long makes you a target.

I love going to a spot and seeing seeing the aftermath of an ai battle I was not present to witness and trying to piece together what happend via dead bodies, blood stains, bullet holes and blood splatter. You're right it doesn't add much for gameplay but it adds tons to immersion imo.

• Like 1

If thats the case we should also have to calculate the effect of blood on the round as it passed though the body and then add the effect of wind resistance dynamically has on the bullet as it spins and the blood is flung off of it due to the change in mass..........

This is a game, its not VBS its just built with VBS technology which has stuff like blood flow/loss and wounding and dismemberment. At what point does it have to be simulated for sake of accuracy?

You have to ask your self how does this add any sort of value, mission makers can add in items which can be penetrated by bullets, its really up to the mission maker to provide accurate forms of cover for the players.

Eh, why would you have to add such ridiculous things as "the effect of blood on the round"? It's pretty common knowledge that one of the main virtues of .50 cal rounds is their ability to penetrate cover, and not representing that in any way at all isn't what I'd expect of Arma, at least not any longer.

And I'd hardly agree that Arma is built using VBS technology, because it's really the other way around.

Might not want to do this for the A3 box then: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/4/8/1/952481_111047_back.jpg

I think 'THE authentic tactical shooter' or similar would be a little more accurate...

Ah, touche.

I personally would like to see serious, graphic injuries. To anyone who has played Red Orchestra 2, you know what I mean when I say it just makes the overall experience more visceral. Seeing a buddy's leg blown off when a grenade is chucked into your bunker really has a huge affect on how you play and react compared to seeing a body slump over.

Seeing a buddy's leg blown off when a grenade is chucked into your bunker really has a huge affect on how you play and react compared to seeing a body slump over.

Exactly!