Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Full Multi Mat + one "normal" Mat..?

Hi all,

For some of my houses, I'm using each of the four slots to be had with a Multi-Mat. Now if I added say a door to the house and put the door texture onto it's own "normal/standard" material would that sort of increase the FPS hit some?

The only downside I can see is that the house would then require two drawcalls instead of one?

Is that correct please?

(And I can't really include the door texture to be in most of the Multi-Mats as they're all taken up by the house textures themselves fyi...)

Thanks for any feedback about this, as I read/remember somewhere that by itself Multi-Mat is a great way to go, but once you add another Mat to its object it really takes a hit?

Marc

Forgive me if i misunderstand, but you can simply make the door a separate selection in both your modelling software and oxygen, there wouldn't be an fps hit if you keep the texture res down, doors don't need any really high textures, so if you keep the resolution down and have separate mats for the doors you should be fine. try 128x256 as the size.

Hi mate,

aye I know it can be another section, that's what I'll probably have to do as the entire structure itself fills x4 textures in a multi mat, I was sort of asking if that's still an exceptable way of doing things?

As opposed to having it ALL within the multi mat x4 textures..?

I remember (some time ago) i have used 1 of 4 MultiMat slots so i can have a 'wood slot' for my doors and window cases-although 1 extra separate material

wouldn't bring destruction (section wise).

*The A-10 of BIS (if i m not mistaken) had 21 sections

Anyway i don't think 1 "extra" Material would hurt so much the performance-basically i myself thinking to adjust my work in same way for having detailed doors.

Edited by GiorgyGR

Although I have no experience with buildings so can't comment on what counts as an efficient model/design, generally speaking, the higher the section count, the bigger the performance loss is gonna be in game. As long as it oesn't become a habit of adding "just one more section" then having an extra one for the door probably wouldn't be an issue.