fromz

Diaoyu Islands by Fromz - New Terrain simulation for ArmA3

The error I got was some kind of addon I think. It worked when I stripped everything down.

Hey what you think about this. :D

Thanks to fromz for the great Island. :)

cheers

Sc0rc3d

Love it - Great work especially the music:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Hey Fromz, love the map, great job, have modded a few missions to use island(s). If only stratis was linked to these would be fantastic.

Many thanks for this lovely Island, Fromz, can´t wait to take a walk/flight/boatride around !

Although there aren't many available custom terrains on Armaholic for ArmA 3 right now, I'd have to say this is the best one on there at the moment. I've been playing around in the editor on this map and testing how the A.I. works, and the A.I. works seamlessly so far, even in the jungles. They take cover behind the trees and rocks, they know how to navigate around the terrain, etc.

Only issue I've run into so far is that A.I. (haven't tried using one myself) armored vehicles have a tendency to not move or spontaneously get destroyed in dense vegetated areas.

[EDIT]

There's a lot of potential for this map, especially with infantry-versus-infantry scenarios. Fighting in the jungles is fun at all times of day and weather settings (early morning, afternoon, pitch black nighttime, dense fog, etc.) and can really challenge one's awareness, in all aspects.

GJ and hope to see you work on this map more or other maps in the future! :yay:

Edited by Phronk

I love this map to pieces. My only issues with it are the somewhat jagged/squared off peaks, the very limited amount of flat terrain (which wouldn't be an issue at all had we an editor that allowed us to adjust the level of buildings in addition to their height and orientation), and the performance hit, which, I'm assuming, comes from the massive amount of trees and vegetation. Currently, I get 50-60 fps on Stratis with all video settings maxed, VSync enabled, and draw distance about 3/4s of the way full Overall/Objects/Shadows. In Daiyou I get 24 with Vsync enabled, and around 30-40 with it disabled. It's still very playable, and looks ABSOLUTELY FRIKKEN' GORGEOUS, but I hope BI's optimization attempts will carry over to this map as I've been working on my first proper mission using it (waiting for the PLA mod to get updated, though, so that may be an issue!). Great work! :)

I love this map to pieces. My only issues with it are the somewhat jagged/squared off peaks, the very limited amount of flat terrain (which wouldn't be an issue at all had we an editor that allowed us to adjust the level of buildings in addition to their height and orientation), and the performance hit, which, I'm assuming, comes from the massive amount of trees and vegetation. Currently, I get 50-60 fps on Stratis with all video settings maxed, VSync enabled, and draw distance about 3/4s of the way full Overall/Objects/Shadows. In Daiyou I get 24 with Vsync enabled, and around 30-40 with it disabled. It's still very playable, and looks ABSOLUTELY FRIKKEN' GORGEOUS, but I hope BI's optimization attempts will carry over to this map as I've been working on my first proper mission using it (waiting for the PLA mod to get updated, though, so that may be an issue!). Great work! :)

What do you mean by level of Buildings? Pitch? if so check out: this setVectorUp [0,0,1]

What do you mean by level of Buildings? Pitch? if so check out: this setVectorUp [0,0,1]

OMG, if that does what I think it does, you are now officially my new bestest friend! :P

Is this something BI just doesn't want to make part of the 2D editor? It'd be so great to have that alongside the height/spinny-doo-dad (can you tell I know NOTHING about this game and it's editor?) rather than be something I'm assuming would have to be placed in the init field (or am I wrong about that?).

After a busy time, finally taking time to update Diaoyu. Diaoyu Islands Upgraded: Version Beta 0.7

>>>>> VERSION

Version: v0.7 beta

First Release: 2013-06-18

Release Date: 2013-07-19

Version Beta 0.7

#Fixed: Splash error message

#Fixed: Small elevation error on bottom of the sea

#Fixed: Compatible with the Beta version of ArmA 3

#Improved: Mid-range texture

#Improved: Excessively sharp peaks

#Included: Berghoff's African Foliage v1.24 files

#Upgraded: Server key

>>>>> REQUIREMENTS

None

(African Foliage are included in package with permission, You don't need a separate download anymore)

>>>>> DOWNLOAD

fromz_diaoyu_beta07.7z 174MB

Heh, the island together with the Cessnar mod is super awesome. It gives a kind of holliday / vacation vibe.

I love the new midrange textures. Island looks even more organic.

Thanks it looks cool

Edited by baaaard
brokenmirror

Map author's download link dies not even half way through the download and the other guy's download mirror is corrupt. Reupload.

it looks great. but i hope you will add some custom environment sounds. the sound of the cicades just doesn't fit the climate. another thing that would add a lot to this and make it much more useful is adding more areas of intrest. i know there isn't much on the real life thing but it would help the usability of this for some missions.

other than that it's really nice.

The Senkaku Island is quite an eye catcher. Well done!

What the island needs is a little more detail in the woods. Right now, it's a "flat" terrain with trees every x meters. It's lacking rocks / rocky places and other objects to spend some more cover (and add to the look). One example being the huge cliff sides, which are plain terrain right now (and you can even walk them up). Placing huge rock formations on these should make it look a lot better and detailed. Also I'd say the island needs a bit more variation when it comes to the tree placement. Right now it feels to me like 1:1 taken from a random tree placement generator. A few open grounds with rocks and closer / wider tree placement and such here and there would probably help giving more diversion. A good example for this is the coast line on various positions.

I made some screens to show what I mean:

LwUupO.jpg

pqitQS.jpg

jqoL66.jpg

Other than such things, I find the island to be pretty great looking.

@Bad Benson, about the custom environment sounds, In fact I have already started to do so, if you one of the old players, should able to remember my FFAMM sound MOD in ArmA1 times, it needs more time and testing, time is a little luxury to me now. I'll try.

@Lexx, suggestions are well worth considering! I may try to improve the project according to you in the future upgrades.

Thanks to all the suggestions and kind words.

no rush it was just a suggestion. i didn't really use much mods in ofp and arma 1 but i remember several of you mods. glad to hear that you are planning to do it. the effect of sound in general tends to be underestimated in games. this will make a lot of difference.

how do i edit this in the 3d editor? i have problems with that.... any suggestions?

how do i edit this in the 3d editor? i have problems with that.... any suggestions?

make the end of you mission file read .daiyou instead of .stratis - then you should be able to load in editor.