Sign in to follow this  
Muffinz

Arma 3 Gun license?

Hey, my friend bought arma 3 alpha and he noticed that there's fake gun names like mxm, mrx and so on. Will it be different on full version?

Probably not.

Those specific guns as they are presented in ArmA 3 do not fully exist in real life anyways, don't they?

guns in arma dont exist in "real life", also arma takes place in the future so dont expect em to use some old stuff

of course, theres always that license case, no intel on that

oh ok

is it me or theres no MX in this thread? kinda strange since its as real as it gets

also i know arma weapons are based on real weapons, i meant 1:1 (with names)

Edited by FeltHat

Note, those weapons are often different from the real ones in some way. TAR assault rifles are real (and, IIRC, have real name), but all 6.5mm rifles aren't (the cartridge is real though, it's probably 6.5mm Grendel), neither are OPFOR rifles using caseless ammo (the technology was used only once, in the G11 rifle, and didn't really work out).

And most of them have some reference to the "predecessor" in the field manual. Like for example:

Mohawk:

A successor to the wide-spread Merlin....

Ghosthawk:

Some pilots say the stealth design hindered the versatility of the helicopter compared to it's predecessor, UH-60....

And the Zafir even mentions "license disputes". :P

Sure, it's a bit of "a wizard did it" but well, there's some explanation behind the minor differences from the real life stuff.

Actually, the Ghosthawk is based on a real helo, though with some guesswork on how it really looks like. It's pretty much what SEALs used in the raid that killed Osama-bin-Landen.

Though the "Blackfoot" helo pissed me off a bit. It's a friggin' Commanche, so call it Commanche. Wouldn't be the first time DoD un-canceled a project. Or at least use another Indian tribe name. Those names sound cool, and it's an established pattern in US Army helo naming (Kiowa, Apache, Cheyenne... just to name a few). "Blackfoot" sounds goofy. "Nawaho" or "Cherokee", for example, would be much more fitting (they're still unused for a helo, IIRC). Or if you really want those guys, try "Niitsitapi". That's not really a single tribe, but I guess this could work. Or you could use "Siksika", which translates to "Blackfoot".

Also, the Commanche is famous. Even if it isn't officially a Commanche, I imagine that if it was made IRL, it'd be called "Commanche" by just about everyone besides officials, especially with a name like that. That's how we all call it already, BTW, this is just how it works.[/rant]

Edited by Dragon01

Incidentally (or not?) Ghost Hawk was also the purported name of a supposedly even-stealthier helicopter design mentioned in SEAL Target Geronimo as having been kept from the raid for fear of it being lost, hence the so-called "Stealth Hawks" being used instead.

Dragon01, if you can get past the non-use of the real-world name (a tendency in Arma 3) then Blackfoot is no less appropriate.

It's inappropriate, because it's not a tribal name. It's an (English!) name of a loose tribal confederacy that called itself "Niitsitapi". Now, the Siksika tribe (actually translates to "Blackfoot") were a member of this confederacy that the English encountered first. Hence, the assumption that all Niitsitapi were Siksika, which they weren't. Now, Army helos use actual, untranslated (but anglicized) names of Native American tribes, so the helo should've been named "Siksika" or "Niitsitapi". They're rather obscure though, so I think Nawaho/Nawajo would actually be better.

Army helos use actual, untranslated (but anglicized) names of Native American tribes

Well, except 'Black Hawk' who was an individual if I recall, so there is a little bit of leeway there.

Anyone noticed that the Op-For/Indy trucks in the Dev/Beta are named Zamak? I'm sure someone at BIS is chuckling about that one.

I think this is all a little odd considering they've always used the real names before. Maybe it's because Arma III is so much higher profile than A2/OA was at launch. (Or Ivan and Martin's detention...)

Fictional names = fictional variants = more leeway for stats than if they were to use real names. (As for Ivan and Martin: I noticed that the devs do tiptoe their way around talking about "the incident", I noticed RiE having to hold himself back at the E3 stage demo this year when asked and switch gears to a quick "we're just happy that they're back"...)

I get why they would tip-toe around it, I sure wouldn't want to talk about it.

I suspect ACE will come around and change all the names back for the non-fictional equipment. It only bugs me a little personally.

Well, I believe Iraq had differently named versions of imported scuds like the Al-Hussein so there's no problem with calling the KAMAZ a Zamak, or a KA-60 a PO-30 Orca.

Heck, in Arma 2 OA you saw the same helicopter designated as AH-1 and AH-64 depending on BAF or US.

They actually do

The MX series was designed by a gun manufacturer/designer specifically for Arma 3. :)

Also don't forget about the new LMG that's actually the 7.62 Negev NG7! :)

Heck, in Arma 2 OA you saw the same helicopter designated as AH-1 and AH-64 depending on BAF or US.
It's not the same helicopter, it's a built-under-license version of the Longbow (AH-64D) that the MoD designated "Apache AH Mk 1" / "Apache AH1", even if OA didn't necessarily simulate the differences from the Longbow (i.e. different engines, sensor/avionics, connectivity with the Bowman, different rockets and so on).

An interesting thing about the Negev in the game is that it's described as a mass produced Chinese LMG which has caused some legal issues over design. Like this if you look at weapon info in the menu's handbook you can see that they actually explain how the weapons are based off/modernized versions of existing weapons,sometimes mentioned by name.

If we're going to get nit picking they're technically not guns, Gun are pretty much artillery pieces or tanks, You guys are talking about Individual Weapons (I.W) Rifles or Assault weapons.

Most of the weapons used in the game are legitimate, a few are weapons discontinued because they would have cost to much per piece for any army, Some are in development and can be released.

In short a lot of the weapons in game exist or are in production or produced but never implemented un reality.

i am wondering about this too why not use the real names for the real weapons like the m14 ebr and the commanche also the strider is the german fennek it would be cool if they stuck to the real names where it's possible as a game it's ok to make up names but as a simulator like arma it needs to be authenthic

The names are different but they are still the same vehicle. The licenses to use the actual names cost BIS a lot of money. So, they are the same vehicle only the in game name is different to avoid the legal issues from the manufacture.

Military organisations don't always keep the names and designations given to them by their manufacturer or country of origin, so it's completely reasonable for the fictitious factions in Arma 3 to have their own designation and naming conventions rather than copying real world ones.