Sign in to follow this  
Amaroq

Game won't start (non-steam version, Error log inside)

I downloaded Carrier Command today and installed it but it won't launch. Sometimes there is a flicker of a system window, but most of the time there is simply no visible reaction at all. It does however create ccsettings.xml in /My Documents/CarrierCommand/, although the document is empty.

Error log is as follows:

---------------------------------------------
Log C:\Users\[...]\Documents\CarrierCommand\error.log started at 16.06. 15:27:04

IFileSystemWin32::RequestPage->ReadFile failed with >GetLastError 87
Can't load config 'ccsettings.xml' because of 'Error document empty.'
Can't load config 'ccsettings.xml' because of it's empty
Can't load config 'ccsettings.xml' because of 'Error document empty.'

I have run as admin, reinstalled, run it at different patched stages (1.02, 1.03., 1.04, 1.05), run with -nosplash, run in various compatibility modes, reinstalled DX9 (feb. 2010) and C++ redist. You name it.

Going from the error code (empty ccsettings.xml) I have copied over ccsettings.xml from the main game folder to /My Documents/. Same error message. I have replaced the path description of the copied ccsettings.xml file from "./" to read the main game directory. That had some effect, in that it changed the error log to this:

---------------------------------------------
Log C:\Users\[...]\Documents\CarrierCommand\error.log started at 16.06. 15:35:56

Cannot open resource file E:\Games\CarrierCommand\patch00.pak
Cannot load entity definitions 'scripts/entities.xml'
Cannot load entity definition file scripts/entities.xml

But the game still won't start. If I start workbench and it says it's unable to start the engine, that there is most likely a problem with ccsettings.xml.

I've checked folder and file permissions too. I have no idea what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 8 64bit, latest drivers (nVidia GT630)

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling everything but leaving all default paths fixed it. Buggy installer?

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling everything but leaving all default paths fixed it. Buggy installer?

Not sure if that's the problem, as I don't have the game installed in the default path either. Well, I have it installed on a different drive letter, but the rest of the install path is same as default.