Sign in to follow this  
fersher

Suggestion to iron sighting

Hi, i just tought i would say whats on my mind when it comes to iron sighting in arma 3.

As arma is a very realistic game i dont find iron sighting the way its used to day very realistic. What im thinking about is that when you use iron sight the whole gun covers your line of fire, making a low bullet impact invisible. Thus making adjustments if the bullet hits low basically impossible, cause if you by some chance see where the bullet hits, adjusting higher makes the gun cover your target. When shooting a gun you use both eyes, maybe not so much when actually using the iron sight but when using a aimpoing/red dot, using only one eye is an disadvantage. Cause as long as one eye is going through the scopes and spots the red dot it is still visible for the other eye which isnt looking through the scopes. It might be hard to understand or visualize if you havent used an aimpoint/red dot sight before. But this makes adjusting for bullet drop much easier, and it gives you a much bigger field of view which also gives you an advantage.

So my suggestion is that the gun sort of lays to the side, and when shooting with iron sight maybe the eye not looking through the sights closes when shooting and opens when observing. And when using a aimpoint/ red dot both eyes are open. I understand that this might be hard to create, cause a monitor isnt exactly like eyes. But i thought i would share my idea anyways as i think this would make the game much more realistic and easier, cause imo its quite frustrating not knowing where my bullets hit.

Please come with your thought :)

A way to simulate keeping both eyes open on a monitor screen would be to have the weapon semi-transparent. Hmm, no thanks

What I do is shoot and then move the weapon down a bit to see the impact point. It doesn't need much movement to clear the view. You just have to remember where the sights were aimed when you fired.

Sorry but I think its good the way it is

Must say, I like it the way it is now. I tend to watch above the victim, if I don't see any impact and he's still alive it went low, raise your aim.. Besides, you'll soon get used to ironsights/distance etc..:)

I believe VBS did this by making the weapon semi-transparent, as stated above. I'm not a big fan of it visually.

Man, just another topic that's solved by the Rift. Been trying out some shooters with it and finally shooting with both eyes open in a game is... well... real. Using my hydras as the weapon it's amazingly immersive. Can't wait for rift/hydra support in A3.

Man, just another topic that's solved by the Rift. Been trying out some shooters with it and finally shooting with both eyes open in a game is... well... real. Using my hydras as the weapon it's amazingly immersive. Can't wait for rift/hydra support in A3.

It will be solved by the Rift.... if it's possible to specify eye separation per eye :) otherwise, you'll have the ironsight aligned with your nose. The Rift's drivers need to be able to specify that all the eye separation be done by moving only the left eye. (The IZ3D driver could do this, and it worked :))

I generally agree, but its hard to simulate.

Also, this game is dominated by scoped weapons and I think that any addition like this would only further hurt iron-sight users against their scoped comrades/enemies.

All you have to do is pay a little more attention to the ranges you are engaging at so you can properly zero the rifle.

It will be solved by the Rift.... if it's possible to specify eye separation per eye :) otherwise, you'll have the ironsight aligned with your nose. The Rift's drivers need to be able to specify that all the eye separation be done by moving only the left eye. (The IZ3D driver could do this, and it worked :))

Yes, you can do this with vierio currently. You have to use a "dominant eye" however, which is slightly more clunky than the IZ3D method, but it achieves the same thing, using left eye offset you get perfect alignment in the right eye with the left eye... off to the left ;)