Sign in to follow this  
Fragmagnet

What's up with all the people using snipers instead of regular rifles.

If you're sniping legitimately from 1km and up, then I'm fine with it. But if you're just 300 meters away from your target, you should just be using a regular infantry rifle. Not a sniper.

It's this "should" part that bothered me. I'm not trying to be disagreeable, it's just that... I'm not sure why you'd tell someone else how they had to play a game. Now, if the rifles are overpowered, if you think they should have disadvantages to offset their advantages, that's a legitimate criticism, I'd think. But that's just me.

I've only used the sniper rifles twice, I think, but both times, you couldn't even see a kilometer in the game - too much fog or haze. I wouldn't have chosen the sniper character going in, if I'd known that in the first mission. (The setting wasn't suited to it, either.) But in the second mission, at the airport, it worked great. It helped conceal me, as long as I targeted enemy soldiers I could just barely see through the fog (500-600 meters, I suppose - I didn't have a rangefinder in that one). Any closer, and I'd be toast.

I thought it was fun. And that happens to be why I play these games. :)

Bill

AT-Sniper-SpecOp-Medic-Pilots are a well known sight for years.

Sometimes the game wants everything from you, and you want to give it that (w/o relying on a team, as maybe they´re all dead, or maybe publics don´t listen)

Because you can use sniper rifles like carabines in this game. Now with the CQB sights on the scopes it makes it easy.

Love 12.7mm with Eotech :D

Disadvantages of large and heavy weapons are not properly simulated in this game, while the advantages are simulated. That's the main reason you always see people preferring the "heavier" weapons.

Limiting the weapons in a mission only partially solves the problem, as even when limited they are still not realistically simulated. You're basically limiting the severity of the problem, but not getting anywhere near solving it.

Hello there

Given the choice, if it's available, Ill always choose a weapon that I can reach out and touch someone from the longest distance possible. It makes it safer for me. As others have said, its down to mission makers to create "reasons" to use other systems.

Many players if they could, would all have Multiple Javelins with a silenced 50 cal and an LMG in their sidearm slots. (ok, a little over exaggeration, but you get my drift). I personally prefer "ranked" missions, or missions which give you a set load out. One can always improvise in the field if one needs a different weapon.

Lastly, most servers I play on, most people seem to use the mX scoped and silenced still.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Many players if they could, would all have Multiple Javelins with a silenced 50 cal and an LMG in their sidearm slots.

LoK

Yepp- they'd carry an assault rifle,Javelin/LMG and sniper rifle in their backpack ;)

Yepp- they'd carry an assault rifle,Javelin/LMG and sniper rifle in their backpack ;)

is this the new arma your talking about ;):cool: here comes ole painless

In terms of machineguns, they're used as carbines as well, and they always have. It's another expression of the same problem- there's simply no real disadvantage.

Honestly, without wind factors and a hardly noticeable bullet drop... sniper rifles are instant wins.

And it really sucks, they should be ether limited or realistic ballistics put in.

In terms of machineguns, they're used as carbines as well, and they always have. It's another expression of the same problem- there's simply no real disadvantage.

Hence, the assault rifle is redundant. Just like the handgun (which even with the new animations, is just not worth the time it takes to switch due to how weak it is and how quick you can reload).

Try use a machinegun like a carbine IRL, and while you'll notice it's not at all impossible, you'll definitely see how extremely wrong their in-game simulation is.

AFAIK there is already a internal config command to make each weapon move slower due to its size is right there. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Weapons_settings

dexterity = 2; How fast the gun chamber changes direction shown by cursor. The bigger value the faster.

the dev team probably haven't differentiated the settings yet.

You do realize that the blufor sniper rifle that fires the .408 is accurate up to 2300 meters right.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's accurate even past that. But the SOS scope only ranges up to 2300 anyway. Although you can just use the dots to aim farther.

here you go. I miss the first shot at 3:35 , but the next 2 shots hit and kill their targets. Which were the teamleader and the grenadier. The rest of the fireteam runs away.

From 2.2km.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9tNRFQvAfE

Dude im talking about RL. As this claims to be a simulation i find your vid ridiculous. even good is not accurate at 2200 meters, in RL. in fact world top sniper have problem to hit a target of 30x30cm@1000 meters with a cal50.

Dude im talking about RL. As this claims to be a simulation i find your vid ridiculous. even good is not accurate at 2200 meters, in RL. in fact world top sniper have problem to hit a target of 30x30cm@1000 meters with a cal50.

well at that distance IRL you need to deal with bullet drop, air humidiity, rain, wind, coriolis effect, target elevation, target speed, your speed, your elevation, bullet travel, the list goes on.

Hitting the head is never going to happen, which is why you aim for the chest.

I only used the sniper rifles in the showcase and in a basic mission I created to test them, with enemies at different distances from 500 to 1500.

I never take them when playing coop, I think there are too many "snipers" in the team, and we need other roles, when playing coop missions with VAS I take most of the time a mk200 LMG, suppresor, RCO and a Holo(I change them depending on the engage distance), and tracers so people know where I'm shooting.

Slower turning speeds from the config is not anywhere near enough to simulate the missing realistic effects.

Currently, the downsides would be:

• no suppressor/lack of stealth
  • limited personal defense, particularly when lonewolfing
  • shunned by entire community

We do need a wind factor for all weapons, this is true.

The "fix" for the originally stated issue is in Terox's post.

(1) One shot, one kill. See my item (2).

(2) MOVE! Change location, the AI guys are not stupid. A 1500 meter shot with the .408 rifle, I am far enough away that the enemy AI's rounds to me drop short, so there is no need to move. I use the SOS scope, the 4th dot below center of the scope's reticule for elevation at 1500 meters. The Beta has added kick-back after a round is fired. Lonewolfing does have its disadvantages and why a wingman would be useful. The AI guys will try a flanking maneuver to get behind me, so beware of that---LOL! Do not get too cozy in your sniper perch. I do not like the other sniper rifle as it drops too much, but that rifle has a different purpose than the .408 .

(I was a M-60 machine gunner and we had a crew of guys of ammo carriers, and 3 guys carried the weapon in breakdown pieces. We all had M-16 rifles as a semi-defense backup. Yet, life expectancy on that weapon in an all out enemy charge was about 2 minutes, if that. A M-60 crew is not stealthy, I know, just saying.)

(3) Being shunned? I have not found this to be true on the servers in ArmA 3 Alpha or Beta running Annex or Domination, but who cares? I do not. I am not much of a team player and why I like the sniper scenario. If I cannot find a Multiplayer server to my liking, I just move on and find another one. I play wee hours NY time zone, most of the servers are not very populated.

(4) I agree, a wind factor would be a challenge and interesting. Ditto with flying the helicopters and also add Vortex Ring State for the hotshot 'copter pilots that think they can fly toy helicopters.

When I go out as sniper I add satchel charges and a rebreather to add to my versatility and usefulness. In real life, I doubt that .408 rifle is friendly in sea water.

As sniper, whether as Ranger or SEAL/UDT, ArmA 3 is fun!

ArmA 3 is the only infantry type "game" I have tried since 1985 when I started PC gaming. I would like to find a USA-football game this good.

And thanks to the guys that host 24/7 servers.

Edited by DieHard109

Even if all the disadvantages of a real sniper rifle were simulated, almost everyone would still want to use it because sniping is considered cool as hell. That's why controlling this nonsense should rest with mission design.

Most infantrymen don't use sniper rifles IRL, and it's not because sniper rifles are in limited supply. It's because in most situations assault rifles are more effective.

Of course, even if the act of sniping itself would have been made more realistic, there is still the problem that the average engagement range in ArmA is huge due to the terrain detail (which is unrealistically low on an extreme level).

Edited by galzohar

I recommend playing on servers that has disabled the range-viewer when scrolling.

Even if all the disadvantages of a real sniper rifle were simulated, almost everyone would still want to use it because sniping is considered cool as hell. That's why controlling this nonsense should rest with mission design.
This right here lies all the problems with people's suggestions for "nerfing" sniper rifles with intent to try to force players away from sniper rifles (as opposed to "for the sake of realism", that is) and is a good succinct take on what I was saying earlier. :D

In Co-op games. I just see full on snipers everywhere. Rifleman, sniper. AT soldier, sniper. Sniper, sniper. Pilot, sniper.

And to only be used up to 600 meters because everyone thinks that past that is too far.

And they MISS.

It saddens me.

It's called the virtual ammo box and clueless server admins.

Hmm my tests so far seeing 1.1km kills easy, hoping to extend to 1.5km soon.

Wait for the final release, and then let them try to use a sniper against my tank ;)

why sniper rifle?

coz diz :D

Theres no downside to snipers like there are in real life.

Edited by Alabatross

My questions to anyone wondering "why snipers" is to first ask if they are actually using a Rifle designed for long range shooting. Some people see optics on top of any rifle and assume "sniper" when in fact the person is just trying to have options. I'll roll optics all the time in the game for lots of reasons. The APCO(sic?) has the green dot on top and a nice optic. It clears up the battlefield. With graphics being a factor the optics will help a person to clarify their target at 200+ meters.

Then when you are in a CQB type situation you can use the green dot on top of the optics, or if the server allows go third person. As for silencers, considering how well the AI can zoom in on the one shot you laid out, I'd like to have them. The same for PvP. I want the silenced weapon with optics to give me every possible use out of the rifle I am using.

just my .02