Sign in to follow this  
Fragmagnet

What's up with all the people using snipers instead of regular rifles.

In Co-op games. I just see full on snipers everywhere. Rifleman, sniper. AT soldier, sniper. Sniper, sniper. Pilot, sniper.

And to only be used up to 600 meters because everyone thinks that past that is too far.

And they MISS.

It saddens me.

Its down to the mission makers to restrict the weapons available.

You will not find this type of restriction in mainstream public missions like annex, domination etc.

You will find it if you play in a more Non public environment where the player selects the role and then plays that role

People use sniper rifles because there's no real downside in this game, I think.

People use sniper rifles because there's no real downside in this game, I think.

that's what i think as well,but this is a alpha.so Bohemia will probably fix it(or not,this is my first arma as a game.up until new i played the demos)

that's what i think as well,but this is a alpha.so Bohemia will probably fix it

Currently, the downsides would be:

• no suppressor/lack of stealth
  • limited personal defense, particularly when lonewolfing
  • shunned by entire community

We do need a wind factor for all weapons, this is true.

The "fix" for the originally stated issue is in Terox's post.

Edited by Harzach

that's what i think as well,but this is a alpha.so Bohemia will probably fix it(or not,this is my first arma as a game.up until new i played the demos)

It's been the same for 12 years now. Maybe they're changing it.

Currently, the downsides would be:

• no suppressor/lack of stealth
  • limited personal defense, particularly when lonewolfing
  • shunned by entire community

We do need a wind factor for all weapons, this is true.

The "fix" for the originally stated issue is in Terox's post.

• Never really needed any suppressor but for missions that fail if you cause an alarm to go off.
  • I don't know what the you're talking about. At close range, you pull drop the hammer anywhere on someone's body and they're dead. You can shoot someone 3 times before they hit the ground with a semi automatic sniper rifle.
  • Not sure who this community is who shuns people based on their weapon choice in a videogame.

Never really needed any suppressor but for missions that fail if you cause an alarm to go off.

More an issue of the enemy hearing where the shot came from. Obviously a PvP issue.

I don't know what the you're talking about. At close range, you pull drop the hammer anywhere on someone's body and they're dead. You can shoot someone 3 times before they hit the ground with a semi automatic sniper rifle.

Not with the two sniper rifles we have now, unless the AO is on the moon.

Not sure who this community is who shuns people based on their weapon choice in a videogame.

You've obviously not subjected yourself to the horrors of BF3, et al. Anyway it's a joke, because bush wookies. C'mon, Max! Lighten up!

Sniper is ligical choice that why chosen

CQB can lag so shoot from hill to town

Large open world with little cover in current overlay mask system

Fatigue system make peopke want to lie down and shoot

Everything geared for sniper

More an issue of the enemy hearing where the shot came from. Obviously a PvP issue.

I haven't played PvP in A3, but in A2 it was really fairly easy to kill players at any range with a sniper rifle given marginal use of deception. I once killed the same guy over and over again on the same hill with no trees or grass on it for half an hour. I'm not saying I'm uber pvp, I'm just saying deception works.

Not with the two sniper rifles we have now, unless the AO is on the moon.

What Dsl heralds is up to Dsl. I've never really had a problem with situational awareness. Positioning is important in that respect. When TOP said 'sniper rifles' I was assuming DMRs, but i guess if you play on servers with crosshairs, it doesn't matter if the rifle has backup sights.

You've obviously not subjected yourself to the horrors of BF3, et al.

I should say not!

Mind you, at last check in BF3 it had to do more with those who focus on maximizing kill distance (not least because there is a point bonus for "long range" kills equal to the range in in-game meters) instead of the whole scout-sniper thing... especially when said Recon players could at least extend their squadmates the courtesy of throwing up a MAV ("micro" UAV) to accompany/screen the squad, or even act as a "forward Recon" who (whether acting as a designated marksman or wielding a CQB weapon such as a PDW or a shotgun) also throws down a forward Spawn Beacon, but noooooo, gotta get "SICK headshots" at 1.5 klicks... Dslyecxi's merely showing off in A2 what a bunch of people found out in BC2/BF3. :D

The worst part is, I believe that DICE's public explanation of the omission of ghillie suits in BF3 was specifically to "encourage" forward Recons instead of hill wookies...

Sniper is ligical choice that why chosen

CQB can lag so shoot from hill to town

Large open world with little cover in current overlay mask system

Fatigue system make peopke want to lie down and shoot

Everything geared for sniper

You don't seem to understand.

I would have no problems if all these people were actually sniping from 1.4km and up.

But what they are doing.

Is equipping a sniper rifle, and running around using it as if it were an assault rifle.

remove the rifles from the crates

have 1 sniper spotter team

and possibly reduce the number of mags the sniper has

and use him correctly

why the complaints, edit the mission

People always love to use the newest weapons, just wait until those 3d scopes come in!

People always love to use the newest weapons, just wait until those 3d scopes come in!

yeah, then no one will use sniper rifles because their frame rates will be halved.

There are currently very few downsides to the sniper rifles. Recoil is low compared to the other weapons and sight realignment is easier to achieve shot after shot. Also the weapon seems pretty stable even when standing whereas one would expect such a relatively larger weapon to be more unwieldy to use and have more sway unless supported. Blah blah

I have noticed this trend mostly with Noobs... I would say 90%.. The other 10% try it out for a while and move on.. I touched it once in single player, just to hear it and see it..

I have noticed this trend mostly with Noobs... I would say 90%.. The other 10% try it out for a while and move on.. I touched it once in single player, just to hear it and see it..
N00bs are attracted to AMRs irrespective of how "good" AMRs are in the game and whether said n00bs are any good at wielding AMRs or not, that attraction is practically a staple of FPS games, it's like moths and light! :lol:

^This

Though, imo, chucking the scope on a MX makes more sense to me :P

You don't seem to understand.

I would have no problems if all these people were actually sniping from 1.4km and up.

But what they are doing.

Is equipping a sniper rifle, and running around using it as if it were an assault rifle.

sniping from 1,4km up? Strange little world you came from ;D.

For 1km you need a Cal50 and a target big like a car and you still may miss a lot. Get real man.

sniping from 1,4km up? Strange little world you came from ;D.

For 1km you need a Cal50 and a target big like a car and you still may miss a lot. Get real man.

You do realize that the blufor sniper rifle that fires the .408 is accurate up to 2300 meters right.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's accurate even past that. But the SOS scope only ranges up to 2300 anyway. Although you can just use the dots to aim farther.

here you go. I miss the first shot at 3:35 , but the next 2 shots hit and kill their targets. Which were the teamleader and the grenadier. The rest of the fireteam runs away.

From 2.2km.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9tNRFQvAfE

Edited by Fragmagnet

The problem with the sniper rifle is you have to have a really powerful rig or have the game look like crap to get a decent frame rate that doesn't affect your shot.

The add the fact that most people are not willing to upgrade their system on a yearly basis.

I really wish they would just remove all the grass because if it doesn't render at distance it shouldn't render at all.

you can remove the grass (setterraingrid 50) if you dont make the mission then you'll have to deal with it. Such is the life of an ArmA player.

I've been using a sniper rifle, because they're fun. I like stealth, I like to take my time getting a shot, and I like the boom when I pull the trigger. What's not to like? :)

But the people I play with aren't overly serious about it. It's just a game, after all. And no doubt, when they release new weapons in the game, I'll want to try them, too. Is there a reason why we shouldn't be using sniper rifles? I'm not sure I understand the point of the original comment.

Bill

I've been using a sniper rifle, because they're fun. I like stealth, I like to take my time getting a shot, and I like the boom when I pull the trigger. What's not to like? :)

But the people I play with aren't overly serious about it. It's just a game, after all. And no doubt, when they release new weapons in the game, I'll want to try them, too. Is there a reason why we shouldn't be using sniper rifles? I'm not sure I understand the point of the original comment.

Bill

The point of the original comment was that people are running around with sniper rifles using them as if they were carbines.

If you're sniping legitimately from 1km and up, then I'm fine with it. But if you're just 300 meters away from your target, you should just be using a regular infantry rifle. Not a sniper.

Because you can use sniper rifles like carabines in this game. Now with the CQB sights on the scopes it makes it easy.

I think all the sniper rifles need lower dexterity values so that they "sway" more when moving them around (like the KVSK and M107 in A2).