Sign in to follow this  
SquattingDuck

Fps is almost too low for me to play this game

I just got a new PC that has a Radeon HD 6670 1gb ddr5 crossfired with the integrated graphics from my amd a10 6800K processor. I picked up 8gb of RAM just to help out the integrated graphics. After reading the specs for arma 3 i should be able to play this game at decent frames but when i try and play wasteland my frames are a steady 10 - 20. this is with all of my setting turned down. Does anybody have any idea on how i could speed this game up or if i might have done something wrong

Welcome to the forum!

are the most actual drivers installed?

Have you tried to play without crossfire?

I often heard about problems in crossfire/sli mode. Perhaps also a misconfiguration. But I don't have any knowledge at this thematic.

is your harddisk okay?

What's your with FPS in Singleplayer? Did you try turning of some graphic features(AA, shadows, PP)?

Wasteland is very unoptimized.

The card is a little on the weak side, what are the stock clocks ?

I just got a new PC that has a Radeon HD 6670 1gb ddr5 crossfired with the integrated graphics from my amd a10 6800K processor. I picked up 8gb of RAM just to help out the integrated graphics. After reading the specs for arma 3 i should be able to play this game at decent frames but when i try and play wasteland my frames are a steady 10 - 20. this is with all of my setting turned down. Does anybody have any idea on how i could speed this game up or if i might have done something wrong

complete system specs please and what frequency are you running your CPU at?

These are my computer specs

Amd a10 6800K @4.1 GHZ

DDR3 1600 8GB

1TB SATA HD

Amd 6670 1GB DDR5 @1920X1080

ASROCK FM2A55M-DGS

500w PSU

even with this setup I get a max of 20 frames on larger servers

Your performance in multiplayer is largely depended on the server, server bandwidth, mission and player count. I have been to servers where my FPS would drop below 20 and there was absolute anything I can do to remedy this.

Download MSI Afterburner enable OSD and run it while playing online. It will show you your GPU usage, if it reaches 99% you are GPU limited and you should lower your graphics options.

Leave open task manager with the CPU usage graph, if any of the cores is constantly at 80%-100% while playing you are CPU limited (You can also install HWInfo64 and use it to show CPU usage per core via MSI Afterburner's OSD).

IF both CPU and GPU usage are not at their limits the problem must be with the server.

Tony, the guy has well over the advertised specs to run it and runs it on minimum settings, even on a heavy loaded server that should not nerve the performance that much. It is not the 'settings' that is the problem, it is ArmA itself. For example, I can play almost any game that has a town with destructible buildings and walk around in it and blow shit up without zero lag or performance drop, walking around in ArmA in a tiny village makes the performance drop a lot and even more if I blow up some houses. Same with vegetation, I can walk in dense jungles in other games with good fps (and good detailed vegetation), in ArmA it causes a huge dip in fps, even a bunch of bushes and some trees drops the fps. This was the case in ArmA2 and also in ArmA3.

I'm not an AMD user so forgive me if this is a flawed train of thought, but I see the OP talking about the GPU being in crossfire with the integrated graphics. Would this not cause a huge problem for a game like Arma that is so CPU dependent? My thought is to try disabling crossfire and integrated graphics processing, see if that helps.

I'm not an AMD user so forgive me if this is a flawed train of thought, but I see the OP talking about the GPU being in crossfire with the integrated graphics. Would this not cause a huge problem for a game like Arma that is so CPU dependent? My thought is to try disabling crossfire and integrated graphics processing, see if that helps.

this, but because of the integrated gpu being terrible. that said the 6670 isn't great either, and the cpu isn't awesome for cpu heavy games either sadly

this, but because of the integrated gpu being terrible. that said the 6670 isn't great either, and the cpu isn't awesome for cpu heavy games either sadly

true, the APU's were never made for "gamers" but they do have a little power under the hood and with the proper video card can play modern games :)

here is a review using a 6800k with the following specs

Mainboard

ASUS F2 A85-M Pro

Processor

AMD A10 6800K

Graphics Cards

GeForce GTX 580

Memory

2x4096MB DDR3 1866 MHZ C9

Power Supply Unit

BFG 1200 EX Watt (DXX PCIe 2.0 model)

Monitor

Dell 3007WFP - up to 2560x1600

OS related Software

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

DirectX 9/10/11 latest End User Runtime

Geforce 263.09 WHQL

they got it to play crysis 2 @1920x1080 with an AVG FPS of 54 :) like i said its NOT gamers CPU but it can hang in there with a proper discrete GPU :)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6800k_review_apu,18.html

true, the APU's were never made for "gamers" but they do have a little power under the hood and with the proper video card can play modern games :)

here is a review using a 6800k with the following specs

they got it to play crysis 2 @1920x1080 with an AVG FPS of 54 :) like i said its NOT gamers CPU but it can hang in there with a proper discrete GPU :)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6800k_review_apu,18.html

yeah ofc it can hang in there, specially in games that are heavier on the gpu when you have something powerful to help it out, the 6670 is not it though sadly

also arma 3, like everyone should know by now, is quite heavy on cpu as well, heck an oc'd fx-8350 can barely keep 35 fps average in multiplayer wasteland unless you want to demolish view distance

yeah ofc it can hang in there, specially in games that are heavier on the gpu when you have something powerful to help it out, the 6670 is not it though sadly

also arma 3, like everyone should know by now, is quite heavy on cpu as well, heck an oc'd fx-8350 can barely keep 35 fps average in multiplayer wasteland unless you want to demolish view distance

we are on the same page :) even with the xfire 6670 medium for most games is all you can hope, as for the A3 being mainly a CPU issue i believe i have a solution :) if BIS will include one of these with every game i think the problem will be solved :D Koolance CPU-LN2 Rev2 Liquid Nitrogen Pot Review

I am not quite sure why everyone keeps slamming BI and how "badly optimised" this game is. I am not saying it is perfect (it is alpha) but I have managed after a couple of hours tweaking here and there. to get this running at a decent enough FPS where as it is EASILY playable.

Operating system

Windows 8 64

Intel® Core™ i3 3220 (3.3 GHz, 3 MB cache)

4 GB DDR3

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA

NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 (1 GB dedicated)

LG 42LD450 LCD TV

Not exactly top spec :). But even with the cheap GT 620 I can still run it. I have had to drop the res. to 720p which some may say is bad but I didn't expect anything higher TBH. I have only been back into PC gaming for a month and can't really remember what all the Hz and RPM things mean properly but I wont worry about that just yet. But if someone could explain if my processor is half decent I would appreciate it..

First of all its Wasteland if you are playing on a Wasteland you actually never get over 60 FPS in most cases.Problem here is that nearly every setting is made by the server admin,like if the Admin choose 600 meters visibility you only can see 500 even if you set visibility to 3000 or more.Also it depens on what kind of settings he is running the game,like fast moving cloudes,speed increased day and night cycles.Also it depends how manny vehicles,corpses,weapons,food items,normal items and all the stuff on the server at the same time,that dropes the FPS of it EXTREMLY.There are even users with a Titan Graphicscard and the newest intel CPU pushed up to 4.3 Ghz and they still get 30 FPS in the game.Alot depens on the server settings,like if you die your body doesnt respawn and lay there for hours,and now think if 60 players are dieng for like 5 hours of gameplay,it totally breaks the FPS down.I also played on servers like Armajunkies.de there i have constant 40-60 FPS with my GTX 680 C-i7.860 2.8Ghz 8GB Ram because if you die there,your body despawns after 2-4 minutes,that saves alot of performance.Also there server is not overloadet with TONS and TONS of vehicles and shitty random stuff like walls,barricades,fences,objects that you can move arround all these things drop down your FPS.If you wann play the Game normal,the admins should decrease the vehicles to 50-70 and let the corpses and food/water despawn after 2-4 Minutes,so that the server dose not get filled with dump over the hours.