Sign in to follow this  
person915

Bulldozer not starting

After countless threads and attempts, it's still failing to launch. I have the first dir set to just p:\ and it seems to love that. The next is something along the lines of c:\programfiles(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/arma2/arma2.exe -window -bulldozer and that doesn't freaking work. I'm at a loss. I've done what tons of people have told me to do and it's not that they don't work altogether, just don't work for me and I don't know why. First off, my physical hard drive is on my c:\. My parition with my folder is on p:\. my arma2.exe is waaaay inside the freaking directory and I dunno how exactly to write it. Is it case sensitive? What about spaces? What direction do the slashes go? What the hell do I put in?

HELP!

I'm just trying to launch bulldozer through Visitor 3.\

EDIT: I got the directory correct, but now it's saying there's a shader error (mismatch of .exe and data?) for an error when I try to launch it. What do I do?

Edited by person915

You shouldn't have to launch it with arma.exe or whatever. I think that's an old Tutorial. Change it to something like this "buldozer.exe" -windowed -buldozer -exThreads=0

Hi person915

Sounds like you've made a brave start with Sgt Aces "Tut Samplemap" tutorial... It's an excellent tutorial - I started out with it myself, however, it was written back in the early days of Arma 2 and it contains some out-of-date advice - right at the beginning - the whole unpacking .pbos from the Game files to your P:\CA folder can be done automatically nowadays, and worse still - the advice about using your Arma2OA.exe as buldozer and copying over core files, etc was an "interim hack" added to the tutorial at a later date back when Arrowhead had just been released and the tools hadn't been updated...

If you're using the latest 2.5.1 version of the tools theres no need for all that fuss either - at best it'll half work - at worst, it'll put you off before you've begun, and that would be a shame...

The good news is that, after that misleading early section, the rest of the Sgt Ace tutorial works just nicely, and it's a great introduction to things...

I suggest you start again from the beginning... :(

Go to this thread and follow the link for "Armaholic Mirror - Guide and Source Files Link" - Download the guide and grab the source files pack while you're there - you might want them later on though they're not necessary to start with..

If you take a look at the first part of the Guide you'll see it contains tools install and P:\ drive setup guidelines - follow through that section and you should have a properly functional development setup. Next step is to test that with a tried and trusted "quick test" "can't fail" tutorial, which is of course, Sgt Ace's Tut Samplemap... When you get to the end of the setup section in my Guide it'll refer you out to the Sgt Ace's Tutorial you've been struggling with - starting just AFTER the out-of-date setup stuff... Since you're now set up correctly, you'll find that the rest of the tutorial from then on will work just fine - it's a simple assembly job and should take you an evening at most.

Well worth the effort, wait 'n see.... ;)

Once you've completed Sgt Ace's tutorial you can take a look at the rest of that guide if you like - it's another tutorial - thats what the source files are for... This one is a little more hands on, a little more complex - it'll explain amongst other things, what files and where you need to change stuff so you can use your own "TAG" folder name you registered at OFPEC...

Well worth following that... but first! - New and properly working tools, and get Sgt Ace's Tut working, done and dusted...

Good luck!

*notice that my guide has a thread of it's own, so if you have any problems with anything in it - ask in that thread

B

Literally the ONLY problem with my P:\ is that somehow when I make a subfolder it leaks out somehow... I don't even know, all I know is I didn't do that to the files and they were like that.

I'm going to finish this tutorial first, then just uninstall and reinstall everything but this time use the up-to-date info.

---------- Post added at 02:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

So when I put the bulldozer.exe as the directory it fails, but when I use ArmA it will launch, even though it fails due to error later. I don't understand.

I have the first dir set to just p:\ and it seems to love that.

"Path to Realtime Viewer", presumably...

c:\programfiles(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/arma2/arma2.exe -window -bulldozer and that doesn't freaking work.

The "Realtime Viewer" commandline - not on "P:\"...

it's saying there's a shader error (mismatch of .exe and data?) for an error when I try to launch it.

Direct result of above - the "exe" (your actual main game file, according to the commandline above), doesn't match the "data" (which you told it to look on P:\ for with the other commandline above...

If you followed the out-of-date setup instructions from Sgt Ace's Tut which I mentioned above and you haven't reinstalled and started again, then it's likely you messed about copying unbinarized "core" and "dta" stuff onto your P:\ drive - that's the "data which is mismatched" - that's the "shaders" - they won't work with a runtime pathed to "C:\wherever", nor will they work with the provided buldozer.exe (the data to match that was installed along with the tools and you probably overwrote that)...

See how confusing it's getting, even to describe? - it really shouldn't be like this, and the fact that it is, is what's causing you problems...

I'm going to finish this tutorial first, then just uninstall and reinstall everything but this time use the up-to-date info.

I'd seriously suggest you clear the decks and start again - by the book - before you do anything else. Given your current setup, it's extremely unlikely you'll get the tutorial to complete at all, whereas with a clean tools setup you'll be done in a couple of hours and looking for the next tutorial...

Dogged persistence is a Good Thing for terrainmakers!, but the time for that is later... Right now, you need a by-the-book 100% clean and functional P:\ drive & tools setup - once you have that, everything else will suddenly start to fall into place and work as it should...

Read the Guide I linked to above! - follow the setup instructions carefully and you'll be fine...

It's as simple as....

* Install tools somewhere easy to path to, where you won't have any "windows account control or write protection" hassles - if you only have a C:\ drive - that's cool... Make a folder directly on C:\ - "C:\BI_TOOLS" - that'll do nicely - install ALL the tools in there, one after the other - repathing the install of each to C:\BI_TOOLS" as you go..

* Reboot - and you'll have a P:\ drive!

* Make another folder in C:\BI_TOOLS - call it "Mikero_Tools"

* Download and unpack latest version of "Arma2P" into that folder

* Run Arma2P

* Go make coffee

* Done!

* You have a clean & functional P:\ drive (make a backup of the whole thing right now!!! ;)) and you're ready to start Sgt Ace's Tutorial - directly AFTER the "setup instructions"...

B

Screw that, coffee sucks!

-No, I'm gonna do what you said. Goodbye p:\! Until I recreate it. Also, will putting ArmA 2's files in the parition or a parition increase it's performance? I think I may have heard that somewhere, if you know.

Don't get distracted! - yet....

Arma2P will copy all the relevant game files - from ARMA 2 P ;), unbinarizing and arranging them properly as it goes - thats what it does... you'll do that AFTER your tools install...

Follow the setup guide - nice 'n slow - step by step... branch out to Sgt Ace's Tut Samplemap Tutorial when the guide tells you to, and follow carefully though on that too - it'll work...

B

Don't get distracted! - yet....

Arma2P will copy all the relevant game files - from ARMA 2 P ;), unbinarizing and arranging them properly as it goes - thats what it does... you'll do that AFTER your tools install...

Follow the setup guide - nice 'n slow - step by step... branch out to Sgt Ace's Tut Samplemap Tutorial when the guide tells you to, and follow carefully though on that too - it'll work...

B

So I got to SGT Ace's tutorial, and I'm on the very last part. I'm trying to open the map on the editor in ArmA 2 OA. And it doesn't work.

I run the game on Steam, and use the Operation Arrowhead Beta to launch. Basically, it's just launching OA with the latest beta patch.

The map shows up in the editor, but when I set launch parameters -mod=@TUT -window -nosplash it gives me an error on opening the editor that it cannot find the icon for the tut sample map. It will also give me an error on startup of the program that TUT samplemap needs addon.utes.... and when I try and preview it in the editor after placing a player unit, it says it can't find the terrain sounds or something and just won't let me start the preview!

If I remove the -mod=@TUT -window -nosplash from launch options and try to start a preview in the editor, it says it can't find the [somedirectory]\layers\p[randomnumbersfollow] and goes to recieving, then turns black, and ArmA OA crashes.

What

the

fuck

did

I

do

wrong?

I followed the tutorial REALLY closely!

Any suggestions?

Edit:

The full and exact error I get when launching with @TUT enabled in expansions and not using the extra launch parameters (this happens upon opening the map in editor):

Cannot load material file

tut\tut_samplemap\data\layers\p_000-000_l00.rvmat

What do I do?????

EDIT 2:

I checked in that path, and the file is there. I originally thought the 'l' (it's an L) was a 1, but they all have a p_XXX_XX_LXX (X's are numbers), so it MUST be an L, because it can't be anything else. Anyway, it's there, dunno why it can't load it and why it's causing it to friggen not work....

I didn't even touch that area in the tutorial, so....

Edited by person915

I run the game on Steam, and use the Operation Arrowhead Beta to launch. Basically, it's just launching OA with the latest beta patch.

Sounds promising, but this part might be letting you dowm...

Sgt Ace's Tutorial uses a config file which "inherits" from Utes - a core "Arma 2" island - if you're only running OA then that terrain won't be present, which means your terrain can't "inherit" from it and so it fails..

You need to launch your Arma 2 and your Operation Arrowhead together - in "Combined Operations" mode - that's pretty standard nowadays...

Easiest way to do that is with a Launcher, which will also allow you to handle modfolders with ease.

My personal favourite is Spirited Machine's Arma 2 Launcher, which has its own thread - HERE

Have a good look at it's main thread page - it's simple to use...

Install that, set it up so you're running in "CO" mode properly, then activate your @tut modfolder and have another try...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

The map shows up in the editor, but when I set launch parameters -mod=@TUT -window -nosplash it gives me an error on opening the editor that it cannot find the icon for the tut sample map. It will also give me an error on startup of the program that TUT samplemap needs addon.utes.... and when I try and preview it in the editor after placing a player unit, it says it can't find the terrain sounds or something and just won't let me start the preview!

If I remove the -mod=@TUT -window -nosplash from launch options and try to start a preview in the editor, it says it can't find the [somedirectory]\layers\p[randomnumbersfollow] and goes to recieving, then turns black, and ArmA OA crashes.

>IF< you have a personalized icon for you map check the path to it in your config.cpp file, maybe you misplaced some letters. In case you don't have an icon just leave the quotes empty (icon = ""; ), same goes for the pictureshot if you don't have it yet.

Sounds promising, but this part might be letting you dowm...

Sgt Ace's Tutorial uses a config file which "inherits" from Utes - a core "Arma 2" island - if you're only running OA then that terrain won't be present, which means your terrain can't "inherit" from it and so it fails..

You need to launch your Arma 2 and your Operation Arrowhead together - in "Combined Operations" mode - that's pretty standard nowadays...

Easiest way to do that is with a Launcher, which will also allow you to handle modfolders with ease.

My personal favourite is Spirited Machine's Arma 2 Launcher, which has its own thread - HERE

Have a good look at it's main thread page - it's simple to use...

Install that, set it up so you're running in "CO" mode properly, then activate your @tut modfolder and have another try...

B

How do I activate my @TUT modfolder??? All I can do is make a list of addons and crap

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Still can't get it.

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

I have this:

DGSQRbs.png

as my addons. It detects DayZ and stuff in my folder but doesn't enable them

These are my launch options:

jE32XHG.png

And this is the same error that I STILL get with these settings:

http://i.imgur.com/RQ7MjnI.png (380 kB)

Check if the layers path you have in visitor is correct, it has to be inside your island folder.

Open visitor > tools > project preferences > folder - textures: tut\tut_samplemap\data

Once you open your island in bulldozer again it will reprocess the layers and put them in the correct folders automatically.

You'll have to pack everything again with binpbo once it's done to display them correctly in game (shouldn't take long though).

Check if the layers path you have in visitor is correct, it has to be inside your island folder.

Open visitor > tools > project preferences > folder - textures: tut\tut_samplemap\data

Once you open your island in bulldozer again it will reprocess the layers and put them in the correct folders automatically.

You'll have to pack everything again with binpbo once it's done to display them correctly in game (shouldn't take long though).

The directory was already how you specified.

---------- Post added at 00:54 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

I dunno what happened but I redid everything, didn't change a THING, and I think it just didn't binarize correctly because maybe I didn't save it before I binarized it? I dunno. All I know is that now it works. Time to mess it up trying new things!