Sign in to follow this  
Bansheedragon

Enemy carrier too agressive

I recently installed the 1.04 patch, hoping that some of the bugs, especially the walrus pathing issue, had been fixed.

I always enjoyed the campaign, so I started playing that again.

It turned out the pathing issue was just as horrible was it was when the game was released.

After capturing the Fulcrum Island the enemy carrier took one of my Islands, knowing that I didnt have the firepower to take it out, I decided to go for one of his islands instead.

I was a bit surprised when the enemy carrier showed up when I was half way through capturing the enemy island.

And since I dont have the firepower to defeat it at the current point in the campaign, I decided to retreat.

Unfortunately where the enemy carrier decided to run when I encountered it before, it now chases me instead.

The enemy carrier are both faster than me and has far more firepower, which means that I cannot escape.

I tried lancing both mantas and walruses to try and delay it, but they were shot down instantly and my deck guns would barely starch the paint of the enemy carrier.

So basically, where the enemy carrier used to run away, it is now so aggressive as to chase me and blow me out of the water long before I have any chance of taking it out.

Is it really too much to ask for a middle way here?

I have tried everything I can think of short of cheating to try and escape from or defeat the enemy carrier, but every time I end up losing.

And I cannot even attack an Island before the enemy carrier decides to come around and disrupt my work half way through, and then blow me out of the water before I can even get my guns to bear on the enemy carrier.

I dont mind a challenge, but when I dont have a snowballs chance to hell of winning a fight against the enemy carrier, then I no longer consider it a challenge.

This is where the game show's it differences to the original. I don't really like this new carrier actions and AI, and think that the original CC had it down much better. This game is suppose to be about capturing highly defended islands and not spammed naval battles.

Try this - it may help.

If you know he's coming for you - put your deck dun on highest repair priority, give your vehicles the heaviest load-out you can, face away from him, undock your drones, mantas and walruses, move them a bit away from the carrier. Perform a U turn to bring your carrier's deck gun to face the enemy. Zoom in, elevate the gun, and start blasting at a distance.

He'll start zig-zagging when you plop shells on him, move the carrier in slightly and take out his deck gun, then move your carrier behind and blow up his AA guns.

Now send in your walruses, preferably with Flak, HEAT and howitzers. Go for the engines. When these are smouldering ruins, send in the Manta's to take out enemy vehicles. Switch back to your cannon and make sure his weapons don't respawn.

Stay behind him and it's game over ;)

Try this - it may help.

If you know he's coming for you - put your deck dun on highest repair priority, give your vehicles the heaviest load-out you can, face away from him, undock your drones, mantas and walruses, move them a bit away from the carrier. Perform a U turn to bring your carrier's deck gun to face the enemy. Zoom in, elevate the gun, and start blasting at a distance.

He'll start zig-zagging when you plop shells on him, move the carrier in slightly and take out his deck gun, then move your carrier behind and blow up his AA guns.

Now send in your walruses, preferably with Flak, HEAT and howitzers. Go for the engines. When these are smouldering ruins, send in the Manta's to take out enemy vehicles. Switch back to your cannon and make sure his weapons don't respawn.

Stay behind him and it's game over ;)

As I said in my OP I just captured Fulcrum so I dont have any drones yet.

Both my Mantas and walruses are being shot down in 2 shots, long before I even have a chance to fire my own weapons.

The enemy carrier is simply too fast for me to even have time to turn and it seems to always come at me from behind taking out my engines so I cannot turn at all.

I thought the purpose of this game was to capture the enemy Islands, not have the enemy carrier chase you down and blow you out of the water before you can even turn to face him.

There more ways, in which I can get him. Not always successful. But one strategy of mine. I get the message that the enemy is in proximity. I prepare all mantas with plasma or lasers, missiles and armor (the heaviest if you have). The walrusses, get the lasers or the quadguns, if available HEAT. Quadguns are very good destroy the armor of and the walrusses bays and engines. The lasers are good to pinpoint the incoming mantas. You undock everything and bring them out range. Than take on the carrier with your carrier, make often turns so that all guns can fire on the enemy carrier. Take over manually the guns when the battle is in progress. The AI is not very intelligent, take the guns out first. When you see that your carrier is short of sinking, bring in the mantas and the walrusses and take on armor and bays.

I can honestly say i've never lost a naval battle. The main deciding factor is who loses their main cannon first. I don't even launch my mantas or walruses, just take out the enemy carrier's main cannon first, then any enemy mantas and walruses, then it's defensive cannons, and then i've found it impossible to lose using this strategy. After that, your best target is probably it's engines. I must admit it's easier with a shell main cannon rather than the plasma main cannon.

The replies here sounds to me like they are mostly based on the strategy version of the game.

My issue was with the campaign, shortly after taking Fulcrum.

At this point I had just barely gotten the blueprints for most the new equipment, but not had time to build it yet.

Any time I tried attacking an enemy Island, I would get about half way done, and the enemy carrier would show up.

At this point I didnt have much in the way of weapons or armor for either Mantas or walruses.

Mantas only has Machinegus with one having MKI armor, but no rockets, lasers or plasmas, and the mantas are shot down in 1-2 shots, making them useless

1 or 2 walruses had lasers with MKI armor, I had no HEAT or other weapons available.

As such my choice was to either let the enemy carrier destroy me, or wait for the production of various weapons and equipment, while the enemy carrier took my islands 1 by 1 gradually reducing my materials income and production capabilities.

Trying to take them back would be futile as the defenses seems to be instantly rebuilt, giving the enemy carrier time to come and defend the Island before I can capture it, something it will do.

In a couple of my attempts I was able to shoot down the enemy carriers main gun first, only to lose my own shortly after to the enemy defensive guns(Flak/Quad guns), but most of the time I lost my Main gun and mantas before I even had time to react, with the walruses following shortly after.

While it is possible to "defeat" the enemy carrier in the campaign, it will never be destroyed before at the end due to the sotryline, instead it just retreats and comes back again shortly after fully repaired again.