Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Steam not required?

(should read Steam not required?..typo)

Thought it was exclusive to Steam and now find out it's available through ArmA3.com.

Will the final release be available this way too? (through ArmA3.com)

Edited by Foxhound
Typo in title

All versions are through steam. All the Arma3 website does, is allow you to purchase the supporters edition that is not available through steam.

You should be careful not to buy the normal version of the game from the arma3 website, as I have seen a few posts where steam got huffy about this, and banned the account of the buyer for "attempting to get the game cheaper than its available through steam store". No kidding, cant remember where I read that thread, but there are a few out there.

All versions are through steam. All the Arma3 website does, is allow you to purchase the supporters edition that is not available through steam.

You should be careful not to buy the normal version of the game from the arma3 website, as I have seen a few posts where steam got huffy about this, and banned the account of the buyer for "attempting to get the game cheaper than its available through steam store". No kidding, cant remember where I read that thread, but there are a few out there.

Can you dig up these posts with a link. It would be really interesting to find out a bit more on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

regards

I would like to see some proof of this also. I cant believe this is actually the case tbh.

IBTL.

Thank God ArmA 3 will be distributed through steam, a stable, reliable, and excellent method of distributing games. Well done BI in choosing to use steam!

Lol@ the other thread is this the same forum that would slate a guy for a low post count if he dare go against Arma3 but if he slates steam his word is gospel , haha

Love it , the hatred for steam must be stronger than I thought , I hope that spam bot with the Nigerian offer of money never gets through or they will make a mintin herelol

I bought the normal version of ArmA 3 through the sprocket store and haven't had steam ban my account. I actually didn't buy it because it was cheaper, didn't even notice anyways it was like $2 cheaper, more or less it was to directly support BI.

I bought the normal version of ArmA 3 through the sprocket store and haven't had steam ban my account. I actually didn't buy it because it was cheaper, didn't even notice anyways it was like $2 cheaper, more or less it was to directly support BI.
To say nothing of the fact that we outright had someone from BI (and identified as such) saying "buy it from our store because we get more of a cut that way"... there's no way that I see "a Valve that would ban Steam accounts for trying to get the game cheaper elsewhere" would put up with that.
IBTL.

Thank God ArmA 3 will be distributed through steam, a stable, reliable, and excellent method of distributing games. Well done BI in choosing to use steam!

This is the sort of positive reinforcement to send Maruk, DnA and company's way to let them know that they made a good choice and to keep on doing it. :D

There is a really big difference between someone hacking to get around steam's regional pricing, and someone buying a steam key on BI's store.

Clearly when BI negotiated their deal with steam, it included the ability of BI to sell steam keys through their own online store at a competitive price, and the right to promote that online store. On the other hand, the stream agreement clearly includes regional pricing, and someone who uses hacks like VPN tunnels and proxies to try and evade the regional pricing is clearly going completely against the terms of service they agreed to when they installed the steam client.

It's really a night and day situation. And yes, everyone should buy from the BI store to ensure that BI gets a bigger cut, most especially if that is a cheaper way for you!

At the end of the day it means that steam will be managing the game, automatically downloading and applying updates, and having played many games through steam, I find that to be an excellent system and I am very glad that I can use steam to manage ArmA. There is no better game management system out there! It also frees up BI developers, who can focus their efforts on developing ArmA instead of reinventing the wheel by implementing their own alternative to steam.

Remember nothing is for free. If steam haters got their wish and BI had to develop their own rights management system and their own distribution system, instead of relying on steam for that, then that's less time their developers could spend coding the game itself. I know I would rather they spend more time coding the game!

Steam is a great choice for everyone, in my opinion. Win/win.

Edited by Polar Bear

Then why was there such an outrage over the new Xbox?

Arma 2 was sold in other shops just fine whether they were physical discs or online like gog.com.

The question has been answered - yes, Arma 3 requires Steam. Any further Steam discussion can be done in the thread linked above.

:padlock: