Sign in to follow this  
Rodbar

Arma using a projector

I was looking at going to a 3 monitor rig but now Im looking at setting up a projector to my PC to use racing sims , I read where a guy played B3 and said it was amazing , has anybody played Arma with a projector ?

Cheers

Yes I use an Epson TW6000 projectr at about 100". Its as good as you imagine :)

Does it reduce lag when you are using a projector? Or is it the same as when you are using a monitor?

There is no noticable lag at all that I can see. The shear size of the screen makes up for any shortfall though, I would notice in Dayz in particular that I would often spot people before they spotted me, possibly down to screen size. I would say the only issue being that you have to close the curtains/blinds if you want to play in the middle of the day.

A large benefit of a projector over mutli-screens is that you don't have to render a huge resolution so your fps is higher.

A large benefit of a projector over mutli-screens is that you don't have to render a huge resolution so your fps is higher.

Alright, thanks.

With the trade-off being that you need more anti-aliasing to make the image look smooth and you'll have anywhere from 10-100 times more input lag.

Some people will notice the lag more, some games will be hurt more by it than others. Since most people play Arma at lower framerates than the average twitch-based shooter the lag probably won't be a big issue, but you'll want to keep it in mind if you plan on playing other types of games. I can happily game on a projector at 20ms, but when you get in the 100ms range it becomes painfully noticeable in most titles, at least for me. It's pretty much never mentioned in the specs or average review (partially due to how much things other than the projector factor in) so be sure you do a lot of research on enthusiast forums.

Does it reduce lag when you are using a projector? Or is it the same as when you are using a monitor?

It would be exactly the same, given the same resolution - your GPU is rendering the same video, it's just being sent to a different display.

A large benefit of a projector over multi-screens is that you don't have to render a huge resolution so your fps is higher.

True, but that's no different from saying "A large benefit of a single screen over multi-screens is that you don't have to render a huge resolution so your fps is higher." Yes, the image can be much bigger, but so are the pixels.

I have just moved from a 27†single monitor which was a really nice one (not had it long), upto a 42†LED tv (backlit). I’m buying a new one for our main tv (50â€), so got a good deal buying this from the same company at the same time, was going to use our old tv which is also a 42", but the wife wants to put it in the bedroom. The new 42" wasn't expensive but its got great features, the low response time sold it really. I have been looking around for a low response time on a large screen, most are around 8ms, some higher, this one is 4.5ms 1920x1080p.

I have to say its like rediscovering the series, soo much more detail, only running at 1920x1080p but its fantastic. Using ‘Just Scan’ keeps the screen ultra sharp and with it being a tv, rather than a monitor, there are more things to tweak picture wise, you could tweak both ends if needed pc then tv, can get the perfect balance.

Would definitely recommend a large screen tv for gaming. I read different views regarding this and that, i.e. you’ll have problems with lag, stutter etc, but not had any problems running missions, its as smooth as my 27†monitor was. Looks astounding coming from a smaller monitor, A2 & A3 both look absolutely beautiful.

Performance wise, my card seems to like it better, same fps as my 27â€, flying is glorious.:cool:.

I thought about triple screens and what have you, but went this route, sit around 6ft away from it and the experience is great.

Will have a look at the game on the 50†when I get a chance and the wife’s out..;)

Performance wise, my card seems to like it better, same fps as my 27â€, flying is glorious.:cool:.

The physical size of a screen doesn't impact the demand it places on your system. Where you see the performance hit is trying to maintain image quality when you scale it up that much. You typically either run a higher resolution or higher anti-aliasing so the image stays smooth rather than looking like it's made of Lego bricks, and that is where you see the additional demand placed on the GPU. Just FYI. :)

The physical size of a screen doesn't impact the demand it places on your system. Where you see the performance hit is trying to maintain image quality when you scale it up that much. You typically either run a higher resolution or higher anti-aliasing so the image stays smooth rather than looking like it's made of Lego bricks, and that is where you see the additional demand placed on the GPU. Just FYI. :)

I run high fps anyway (lucky really), AA is set to ‘Normal’ in A2 with SMAA on very high and AA x4 in A3 with either FXAA or SMAA on Ultra (not decided which to use yet for A3), could go to High AA (A2) & x8 AA (A3) without getting into problems performance wise, but don’t need to, looks lovely, no lego yet.;).

More or less everything in both games are at the highest settings, those that matter anyway, so that makes a big difference on any monitor..

Really enjoying it, so far..

I thought about triple screens and what have you, but went this route, sit around 6ft away from it and the experience is great.

You couldn't get a deal on a 3-pack? ;)

You couldn't get a deal on a 3-pack? ;)

If I sat in front of three of these, my hair would stand on end and eye’s pop out :butbut:. Great for the younger set, way too much for me.

One on the other hand, well, that’s just dandy…:)...