Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy123

How to Import Roads With RoadPainter 1

I'm trying rp1 to see if it solves some of the issues i've run into with hairline gaps with rp2. I managed to export the file fine, and it looks like homerj's, just a list of road types, with no positions attached to them. Where I'm lost is how to get them into visitor 3. Import objects doesnt work for this, like in rp2, so i guess there is someother trick i don't know of.

Any input is appreciated!

-Andrew

I did see the youtube tutorial, however i lose him at the end when he says you place the keypart and then import the road pieces in the same order. i just place the keypart p3d (as a road piece, not an artificial object) and then attempt to import the objects, but nothing happens aside from bad data file error

Since it was me who mentioned Homer's RP1, I guess I should chip in on this one... ;)

It's "old-style" nowadays, but the built-in V3 road network tool still has it's uses, particularly for short fast roads and/or basic regular city networks, for example... Homer's older RP1 tool also assumes you're fully tooled (sic) for roadnets before you start...

If you're unsure about the basic installation and function of the roadparts/roadtool then a good start is the venerable "Alliexx's Roads Tut" - Long buried in the mists of time, I keep Allie's stuff afloat (with his permission) in the Resources & Tuts section of my website - so grab that and give it a read before you start.

Allie rambles a little on occasion, but it's all good info and should get you to the "all roadparts installed" stage...

You should end up with something like this....

roadnet_defs_zps294b8012.jpg

It doesn't matter what display name you use, as you can see....

At this stage, if you have more than one monitor you're well sorted - if you only have one... why? - for this dev stuff in general, two monitors is a huge bonus... anything will do - an old CRT someone's thrown out... anything...

It's particularly handy for this job since for optimum workflow it's good to have the game running windowed on one screen, and Visitor/Buldozer active in another...

Not essential tho, of course, so - lets try a sample road now...

Run the game + roadpainter 1 and get ready to place a road - the first thing you'll be doing is placing a "keypart" - use a "konec/terminator" piece and, as you place it in-game in RP1 you'll see theres a readout you can use to get its exact coords and orientation - write that down as "road startpoint 1" - now lay your road leading off from that keypoint in RP1 and when you're done, finish the road and save it out as a roadnet text file...

Back to your other monitor ;), or switch somehow to Visitor and...

Choose your roadtype from the list pictured above, then click on the Visitor 2D map roughly where that keypart should go - you'll get a 4-stage popup window like this happening...

placing_zps3a7b5460.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory...

In Part 1 you choose "terminator", in Part 2 you can verify it's the correct road piece - just in case you had more than one terminator piece defined - which you probably will never have, at least with the default roads...

In Part 3 the coordinates and orientation you noted come into play - use the dialog boxes in this panel to set your keypart to the exact same location and rotation as the one in RP1

Part 4's just a verification so hit OK and the terminator keypart should now be in the correct position...

Now - doubleclick that keypart to call up it's Properties Dialog... it'll look like this...

keypart_settings_zps883c3d54.jpg

Notice how we could just doubleclick and come to this dialog box anytime and tweak those location and rotation coords if they're not quite correct? - handy...

Particularly handy, in fact, since... we're playing with roadnets now! Move the "starting keypart" and the rest of the road moves with it!!!

Now - check out the keypart itself... It's a "konec", an "end piece", so a road can only be attached to one end - "Direction A" - thats the end we built the road onto in-game in RoadPainter 1, so now we want to attach the saved version of that roadnet to that end in Visitor...

So, click the "Modify Direction A" button, and you'll get another window - like this....

import_roadnet_zps7430709f.jpg

If you had a little read and a little go with the basic manual road laying procedure as described in Alliex's Tut, you'll be vaguely familiar with this window - it's where you assemble a road from the parts lists on the right, into the (currently empty) sequence on the left...

Of course, if you have a ready made Roadnet in Import Format, then you can load it all in one go - with the highlighted "Import from TXT" button - you'll see the roadparts fill in above - then just click "apply" and "OK - hit OK again to get rid of the underlying keypart dialog box and - you should - see your entire roadnet imported...

Sounds like a slog? - It is!, MUCH more so than the new RP2... the difference being - you have legit roadnets sections which can be copied, pasted, relocated, rotated, edited, smoothed with the "smooth roads" script, and all the pieces will stay firmly locked together throughout the entire process...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

thanks a ton b for the indepth response, hopefully this solves my gap issue

RP1 Solved the hairline road gap issue! Having the roadnet and being able to move roads in visitor 3 is much, much nicer/safer than having tons of artificial objects scattered across the map imo.