Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

What is fundamentally wrong with the underwater combat?

I think it also does not help that the supercavitating ammo for SDAR the is actually deleted after ~30m of flight... (Seriously, attach a camera to it, and see it go poof)

Really? I thought it just looses it´s momentum and sinks....

Well that needs to be fixed as well BIS!

Really? I thought it just looses it´s momentum and sinks....

Well that needs to be fixed as well BIS!

Simulating bullets that are no longer dangerous seems like the opposite of what Arma 3 needs right now. :p

I think it speaks for itself that no DEV has bothered to leave a comment in this thread, or in the other diving thread....

I think it speaks for itself that no DEV has bothered to leave a comment in this thread, or in the other diving thread....

Speaks of them either being at E3 or busy preparing the Beta in my mind - less of the conspiracy mind, young padawan :p

I was PADI certified, too. I had never heard about the nitrogen deal and I think I was always vertical when I surfaced.

Then again, my instructor took us to a place that had killed a couple of divers with bad air two years prior, so I lost a lot of confidence in the whole course.

Yeah, No serious naval diving force is PADI trained for reasons like this, PADI is viewed as the buy your qualification, since you can be considered highly qualified after just 2 days in a quarry diving. The training is so short that it often leads to accidents, which is why PADI has the highest death to qualified diver ratio of any of the major diving qualifications, go to a place called Stoney Cove on a saturday or Sunday in summer and your pretty much guaranteed to see the air ambulance, picking up someone who 99% of the time is a PADI diver involved in a diving accident. Hence why the royal navy divers are either BSAC trained or did one of the technical diving qualifications.

I guess the devs probably got a PADI diver and not a combat diver to help them with the animations and to tell them about diving.

Speaks of them either being at E3 or busy preparing the Beta in my mind - less of the conspiracy mind, young padawan

+1

Dan;2416146']go to a place called Stoney CovE

That's where I got certified :D

Like all things in life, you've only got yourself to blame when diving - I took a PADI course, but found it to be, as you said, very much aimed at a quick buck/get you in an easy, open water environment as quickly as possible. Christ, they once let me do a 40m wreck dive in Bonaire (Hilma Hooker) with about 15 dives under my belt...

Once I started getting more serious, I switched over to BSAC,

I don't know if its been implemented from the start,

But i am able to go prone underwater. Looks pretty good

Edit: I had to go right to the seafloor then the unit assumes the prone position

Edited by Kieran

I don't know if its been implemented from the start,

But i am able to go prone underwater. Looks pretty good

Edit: I had to go right to the seafloor then the unit assumes the prone position

They should implement the stance control for swimming as well, so we can practically swim onto the shore then get out on out hands and knees or even crawling if necessary.

Would help prevent all the silly moments when standing up on some parts of rocks or shore when you would just continue swim over them in real life.

They should implement the stance control for swimming as well, so we can practically swim onto the shore then get out on out hands and knees or even crawling if necessary.

Would help prevent all the silly moments when standing up on some parts of rocks or shore when you would just continue swim over them in real life.

Ugh, yes please! Most games make your avatar stand up as soon as his toes can touch bottom. You should be able to swim in like two feet of water if you want to, especially in Arma. Standing up in the middle of a battle because you swam over a slight rise in the sand is pretty unpleasant.

I agree with that, bu it might be very hard to pull off for the Devs

I agree with that, bu it might be very hard to pull off for the Devs

Default, swim practically right up onto the beach.

Alternative, press stand button to stand up if water is shallow enough to allow it.

Simple as that, most get up animations could probably be adapted for this purpose as well.

and something only partly related that bugs me a little is how bullets fired from outside stop exactly at the water surface. they should go in at least a little bit and cause reduced damage in my opinion. when i first saw the underwater ammo in action and the bullet trail effect used for it, i was hoping for those hollywood moments where the ninja-diver-infiltrator jumps back into the water after the mission is done and the alarm went off and there are all these bullets shooting through the water around him.

Same.

Well it seems as if BIS has no intention of improving, or even discussing this. I understand that they can´t get this into the Arma 3 release, but I hope they take these ideas and save them for the first expansion.

*goes underwater for combat with squad.

"Make ready, arms!"

So, did anyone of you play out some underwater skirmishes agianst AI or other Players? How did they look like?

Are you guys sure that you cant lay flat in the water.If you press Z key the character goes upright and raises and stays upright but if you press X the character descends while in horizontal position and stays horizontal when you let off the key.One thing you must do to stay horizontal is to descened a certain amount other wise the animation goes upright again.

So, did anyone of you play out some underwater skirmishes agianst AI or other Players? How did they look like?

they looked like someone frantically swimming at the other divers to get within 10 meters then putting a whole mag into a diver to kill them, rinse repeat

low accuracy, low damage ... id rather have a knife in most cases lol. which is a bloody shame love the diving aspect. spent all weekend on waste land with my buddies being nooby seals, 1/2 of us armed with assault rifles in the backpack and a s-oar with 2 more with mx500 and a sniper rifle

we found two guys derping around on a beach by some huts, 3 of us came out the water firing while our sniper was laid up on some costal rocks 200 meters away ..felt dam epic when we put them down, they were so confused they just ran in circles for the few seconds of life they had left

I still think we see too much underwater. I'd blur our vision a bit more.

I still think we see too much underwater. I'd blur our vision a bit more.

I've never been diving anywhere near the Mediterranean, but in water that is relatively calm and clear you can see for quite a ways. I actually thought the vision was a bit too restricted when I was looking for the boat to sabotage in the showcase, but finding a boat while diving is a huge PITA in real life as well. :)

To many factors can alter underwater view, since BI has opened this area to us.. maybe they can tweak things as they go.

As a certified PADI diver, I can live with what we have so far.

(we need a Seal to tell us how the combat compares)

Diving in Ageia Marina? That would be nice.

I've never been diving anywhere near the Mediterranean, but in water that is relatively calm and clear you can see for quite a ways. I actually thought the vision was a bit too restricted when I was looking for the boat to sabotage in the showcase, but finding a boat while diving is a huge PITA in real life as well. :)

Been diving off Cyprus a handfull of times, although technically in a different sea it was pretty much as they have it now.

Both shallows and depths look pretty similar to how they are depicted in the game, with similar view distance also.

I have a ticket, I made a while back which i keep updating which would make millions of new underwater possibilities with a feature from Arma 2: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9834

Well, it would look like ultimate global warming apocalypse :D