Sign in to follow this  
terox

All about MinBandwidth

MinBandwidth

Important... If you see information within this post that is innacurate, please let me know ASAP so I can edit it

This thread is part of a much wider discussion on server bandwidth optimisation Tutorial: Server Bandwidth & Optimisation

Useful Links

BIS WIKI: basic.cfg

What the BIKI states

MinBandwidth=<bottom_limit>;

Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps).

This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available.

Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded.

Default: 131072

What is known

The value is defined in bits (Not Bytes) just to confuse us

According to Suma

The ideal factor is: leave it at the default unless you really see something goes wrong. The built-in bandwidth estimation is built on a packet-pair probing QoS, which has shown to be very reliable on the internet as we know it today.

The higher the value the greater the desync reported for players already on the server when a Join In Progress Player connects

What we need to know:

1. How do you discover or calculate the minimum bandwidth that is always available to the server?
  2. How is this value calculated correctly when running multiple ArmA3 servers on 1 box?
  3. (Is it simply.... (Minimum available bandwidth on the box) DIVIDED BY (Number of A3 servers that can be run simulatenously)?
  4. Would this value vary depending on the number of A3 servers you are running on 1 box
  5. How would you stress test or test this in a Benchmark mission scenario?

Calculation Formulae

(Not yet defined)

Edited by Terox

This thread doesnt get any love, but i think this parameter is the most important one!

What is the deference if you set it to 10 mbit or 90 mbit, will the server use more CPU and drop FPS?

I get red chains when its set to 10 mbit in warfare, but when set to 50 mbit "less" chains.

Edited by johnsm

thnx Terox , I am currently trying to figure out what is the best settings but am confronted with....things that make no sense...in the past when i was hosting IL2 server there was a default estimation of 100kbps per player which worked fine, but i found out the other day when my server was up that there was me and someone else and the bandwidth usage was close to 900kbps just for us...

while looking at my resource monitor it showed over 500kbps being used tonight but only 60kbps going to my gaming rig while i was on alone....:confused: as for the chains appearing when there is sync issues i discovered that while i was getting the yellow chain the server was flogging my mechanical HD ....so now its time for an SSD :)

thnx Terox , I am currently trying to figure out what is the best settings but am confronted with....things that make no sense...in the past when i was hosting IL2 server there was a default estimation of 100kbps per player which worked fine, but i found out the other day when my server was up that there was me and someone else and the bandwidth usage was close to 900kbps just for us...

while looking at my resource monitor it showed over 500kbps being used tonight but only 60kbps going to my gaming rig while i was on alone....:confused: as for the chains appearing when there is sync issues i discovered that while i was getting the yellow chain the server was flogging my mechanical HD ....so now its time for an SSD :)

If you have fast internet connection , at least 10Mbits upload, just remove lines with min and max Bandwidth in config server files.