Sign in to follow this  
genesis92x

Endless Survival

Outdated

Edited by Genesis92x

This sounds very promising! :)

Before I started development on Stratis-RP: Ultimate, I was initially going to make something similar to this, players constructing their own bases, etc.

Good luck with the development!

This sounds very promising! :)

Before I started development on Stratis-RP: Ultimate, I was initially going to make something similar to this, players constructing their own bases, etc.

Good luck with the development!

Thank you!

Your kind words do more than you think :) I love how scripting for ArmA can be the most rewarding or the most frustrating thing in gaming history

PS: Stratis-RP is simply amazing.

Edited by Genesis92x

Great mission, I really liked it. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you :) I appreciate it!

I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it

I have a small request. Would it be possible to add an option for even fewer AIs than "Few"?

It would be useful for playing Solo and for players that have crappy CPUs.

EDIT: Also maybe options for setting up which sides are present in the conflict?

I have a small request. Would it be possible to add an option for even fewer AIs than "Few"?

It would be useful for playing Solo and for players that have crappy CPUs.

Yes, that is possible :D I can fix that up tonight. Currently the "Few" option should only have roughly 45 AI active at one time. However, this number can fluxuate to the high 60's depending if you have Helicopters on or not.

I will add a "fewer" option tonight (Away from home currently) and re-upload the mission. Keep in mind that the beginning of the mission tends to be quite laggy as I haven't forced the vehicle creation to be done in the loading screen quite yet. Also you can adjust your view distance and the grass detail dynamically within the game. This should help at least a little in the mean-time.

Thanks for the input! I usually use my machine as a benchmark for performance when that may not be fair to other players.

Edit: Filter "Vcom" in the server list. That is the server I use for testing. The latest version is always up on the server - this should help drastically with lag issues.

Edit2: Okay! Updated the mission

Edited by Genesis92x

Version 0.41

-Added Blufor and Opfor sides to begin testing PvP. Did some basic testing - seemed a lot more fun

-Added better scalars for the # of AI and lowered the default spawning number.

-Made the server refresh the AI every 30 minutes. Attempt to nix a bug with long-duration games.

Download

I plan on adding the Capture points throughout the map this weekend. Players will be able to capture and create bases at these points. Will also probably add a money system per kill and etc.

Thanks! And as always, thanks for playing :>

Edited by Genesis92x

Version 0.41

-Added Blufor and Opfor sides to begin testing PvP. Did some basic testing - seemed a lot more fun

-Added better scalars for the # of AI and lowered the default spawning number.

-Made the server refresh the AI every 30 minutes. Attempt to nix a bug with long-duration games.

Download

I plan on adding the Capture points throughout the map this weekend. Players will be able to capture and create bases at these points. Will also probably add a money system per kill and etc.

Thanks! And as always, thanks for playing :>

Sounds great!

Actually, what you're saying sounds a lot like my absolute favorite map for ARMA 2 "Apocalypse"

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135304-SP-Apocalypse-Invade-Control-Conquer

Maybe it would be interesting for you to take a look at it.

Looks very nice Dom! I'll be playing this as soon as I can! I can't wait to see how it develops in the future as well. As usual, I'll help in whatever way I can.

Sounds great!

Actually, what you're saying sounds a lot like my absolute favorite map for ARMA 2 "Apocalypse"

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135304-SP-Apocalypse-Invade-Control-Conquer

Maybe it would be interesting for you to take a look at it.

Wow, that is actually very awesome! I can't believe I didn't hear about this mission before. I might have to look at it for some inspiration.

Thanks!

It's funny to see that he had issues with AI becoming stuck too.

Looks very nice Dom! I'll be playing this as soon as I can! I can't wait to see how it develops in the future as well. As usual, I'll help in whatever way I can.

Craig, you're as awesome as always. :p I do appreciate the enormous amounts of help you've always given me

Gonna check this out tonight sounds fun.

I would also check out lost, it was inspired by apocolypse, but you start out alone against a huge army with few supplies. You have to loot to get weapons and ammo and horde it, recruit friendlies by clearing areas etc. It became an option on another mod. Anyways I loved it so im excited to play this!

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Lol! Its been too long lost is an option on apocalypse!

Gonna check this out tonight sounds fun.

I would also check out lost, it was inspired by apocolypse, but you start out alone against a huge army with few supplies. You have to loot to get weapons and ammo and horde it, recruit friendlies by clearing areas etc. It became an option on another mod. Anyways I loved it so im excited to play this!

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Lol! Its been too long lost is an option on apocalypse!

Thanks for trying the mission! I might try to incorporate some ideas for apocalypse...just in my own way. I'm going to make it so every kill the player receives X amount of money. With that money players can purchase friendly AI, barriers for creating bases, or possibly other things?

One minor update before the weekend updates :

Survival V.44

This just turns down the accuracy of the AI for people having problems with the AI being all powerful and accurate at 600 M plus.

Also some other minor fixes/stabilization. Nothing cool yet.

Edited by Genesis92x

Loving the concept. Like the idea that you can spawn in on eachother therefore your team can roll through the battle. Choppers were constantly crashing after dropping off their squads (dev build), but as you say in your vid it's another person's script. Got a bit laggy on our at one point but certainly keep at it. Testing this atm on our server in hardcore mode. Unfortunately working out which blue/red AI is pretty difficult this way. Edit: ** apologies wrong **

Edit: Today we played Blufor and had a cracking time at the airbase - the AI were working well in defence and offence. Wasn't laggy one bit. We did relocate up to the Dome and took up positions there hoping for a change of pace / scenery but the AI didn't come. Were we doing something wrong?

Edited by SaL_iOGC

Loving the concept. Like the idea that you can spawn in on eachother therefore your team can roll through the battle. Choppers were constantly crashing after dropping off their squads (dev build), but as you say in your vid it's another person's script. Got a bit laggy on our at one point but certainly keep at it. Testing this atm on our server in hardcore mode. Unfortunately working out which blue/red AI is pretty difficult this way.

Edit: Today we played Blufor and had a cracking time at the airbase - the AI were working well in defence and offence. Wasn't laggy one bit. We did relocate up to the Dome and took up positions there hoping for a change of pace / scenery but the AI didn't come. Were we doing something wrong?

Thank you for the information. I'm glad you were able to have some fun! And the AI should eventually make it to you. If you suddenly move 5 KM's the AI will have to walk all the way to the player. This can take some time unfortunately... I used to have a script that would check the distance of the AI from the players - if the AI were more than 1 KM from the player they would respawn. However, it would constantly cause client crashes for some reason so I was forced to remove it...

Edit2: Wait. Was this on a dedicated server? This might a bug with it not being a dedicated server

Here's the code:

CheckDistance.sqf

_run = true;
while {_run} do {
_unit 			= _this select 0;
_group			= group _unit;
sleep 1;
waitUntil {sleep 1;{ isPlayer _x && _x distance _unit > 1000 } count playableUnits != 0};
{
_x setdamage 1;

} foreach (units _group);
sleep 1;
_run = false;
};

For some reason when multiple players joined - it would cause massive lag-spikes/ crashing. Although I don't see why. I will have to give the script another try.

I have to admit though - fixing the AI is very important but I want to implement a money/base system before I really begin to focus on the AI

Edit: I will be pushing out a new version hopefully tonight

Edited by Genesis92x

Okay, I haven't finished the whole buying/point system yet. So instead of releasing a big ol' update I will just release another version full of bug fixes. Yay.

Survival 0.45

- Fixed AI standing around doing nothing

- Optimized scripts

- Changed scripting for loading mission

- Lots of minor bug fixes

- Added another side mission

Nice one for update.

Thanks for the reply Genesis. I could really see this thing going places. The money system to build structures- you deliberately don't factor in food or water - but you mentioned the possibility of instead having some missions where you earn credits to buld stuff? That'd be fun and difficult too. On playing this I initially thought this a dynamic Arma game where you can dip in and have a blast for 15 minutes to even 3 hours. I didn't consider it a Wastelands/sandbox type game, more an Arma game. Maybe you could toggle it if that worked. Forgive me for suggesting this and love the possibilities for this mod (it's more than a mission given it's dynamic nature). Have you considered persistence by the way?

BTW we hosted this on our dedicated server / dev build. We'll be putting it up again very soon for another test. Keep an eye out for iOGC in the browser ingame. Have put it up now if anybody wants to check it out.

Edited by SaL_iOGC

Nice one for update.

Thanks for the reply Genesis. I could really see this thing going places. The money system to build structures- you deliberately don't factor in food or water - but you mentioned the possibility of instead having some missions where you earn credits to buld stuff? That'd be fun and difficult too. On playing this I initially thought this a dynamic Arma game where you can dip in and have a blast for 15 minutes to even 3 hours. I didn't consider it a Wastelands/sandbox type game, more an Arma game. Maybe you could toggle it if that worked. Forgive me for suggesting this and love the possibilities for this mod (it's more than a mission given it's dynamic nature). Have you considered persistence by the way?

BTW we hosted this on our dedicated server / dev build. We'll be putting it up again very soon for another test. Keep an eye out for iOGC in the browser ingame. Have put it up now if anybody wants to check it out.

I appreciate the enthusiasm! It really is nice to hear, believe me. Right now I plan on making it so when players kill AI, or other players, they will receive cash. Side missions will also reward players a healthy amount.

As for player persistence, I was thinking of adding iniDB. With iniDB the possibilities are expanded enormously... I would first implement a persistent money system so players can keep their budget until the server clears the info out. Next I would love to have location/health/load-out persistence. Of course, this will be one of the last things I attempt. I need to make sure everything else runs smooth first. But I will add it eventually, because I plan on adding capturable areas in which players can hold. These areas would be much more important if players could actually "live" in them.

And I will have to check out the server :) It'd be nice to see how the mission runs on another server for once

Edited by Genesis92x

We tested your mission yesterday and have been pleasant surprised.

We enjoyed it to be hunted as minor force on a opposing island.

We've played about 4 hours, when it became a bit boring.

Please add more side-missions and something like an end.

Perhaps the possibility to escape from the island or sabotage all hostile bases or kill the hostile general...somrthing like that.

You should also think about breaks in the continuing hostile helo support.

A last appeal, don't make a second wasteland, we don't need any further mission like that, it was a hilarious great fun to play this mission as a team!

Edit: The AI is dumb as hell and shoots more into the ground than towards me! Would be great if you could mention the AI in the settings.

Edited by [LB] boggler

This is a great mission. Plenty of chaos. The wasteland missions are rather sparse. I like how this one is always dangerous.

Running on my server now. (ximcraft) Keep up the good work!

-Problem- Seems i can spawn on red players even though im blue.

Edited by the_dmx

boggler;2415971']We tested your mission yesterday and have been pleasant surprised.

We enjoyed it to be hunted as minor force on a opposing island.

We've played about 4 hours' date=' when it became a bit boring.

Please add more side-missions and something like an end.

Perhaps the possibility to escape from the island or sabotage all hostile bases or kill the hostile general...somrthing like that.

You should also think about breaks in the continuing hostile helo support.

A last appeal, don't make a second wasteland, we don't need any further mission like that, it was a hilarious great fun to play this mission as a team!

Edit: The AI is dumb as hell and shoots more into the ground than towards me! Would be great if you could mention the AI in the settings.[/quote']

Thanks for the review! And I hear you on some sort of ending. I plan on having an option for ending the mission in some way. Possibly 3 generals per side that spawn in fortified-ish position. Last general standing wins? Another finish goal would be a simple total kill count. Reach 500 kills you're done. I will be adding more goals for the players to reach. But first I want to get the background scripts working first. But I do hear you loud and clear - it's coming :)

The AI are confusing me for sure. In some games the AI instantly shoot the players and in others they shoot at their own feet. So, I will be adding a parameter that players can use to change the AI skill levels.

As for the helicopters, you can disable them in the parameters - but it would be nice to have them be more random when they occur and not so frequently. This will be in the next version most likely.

And as for making this mission like Wasteland - I plan on adding some Wasteland features like a simple economy, but no food or water and whatever else makes Wasteland iconic.

This is a great mission. Plenty of chaos. The wasteland missions are rather sparse. I like how this one is always dangerous.

Running on my server now. (ximcraft) Keep up the good work!

-Problem- Seems i can spawn on red players even though im blue.

Thank you!

Yeah there's a slight bug - to not spawn on other faction members go to the parameters and change the settings (Can't remember exactly which one) to a CooP/PvP respawn system. However, the system is still slightly buggy and sometimes the player can just respawn off themselves. Less than ideal. But it's okay for now.

But I do hear you loud and clear - it's coming :)[/Quote]

I appreciate that and look forward for further versions.

ATVdwuC.jpg

We're hosting an event night based on this mod on this coming Wednesday at 8pm

GMT. Filter IOGC ingame or 188.138.122.37: 2313.

It's testing only - the author is clear about this. In our previous blasts at this we had

a lot of fun. We in iOGC will very probably go Blue, anybody else feel free to go

either Red or Independent. Feel free to speak over Side but only use text in Global.

Wed 19th btw. PVE, PVP, TVT. Plus AI.

Genesis92x > we run the Zeus AI mod on our server and we believe that that is

helping our AI behave well. Nobody saw the AI pointing to the ground as has been

reported.

Edited by SaL_iOGC

Wanted to throw my name into the "Thank you for making this mod!" hat as well. Been playing Arma II with some buddies for a while and we've been looking for something to make us jump to Arma III and stop playing Escape from Chernarus on A2 and we think this may be just the ticket.

Missions needs a little bit of work so there's some sort of 'goal', but otherwise it's pretty good and we've been enjoying it. Couple of comments/suggestions.

1) Really like some of your goals of possibly having capture-able bases and side missions that give the players a goal other than 'wander around and don't get shot'. Unless someone is crazy, in reality they wouldn't just wander the island trying to survive unless they were either trying to escape the island, or had a mission they needed to accomplish. Perhaps something as simple as there's a main point everyone is trying to capture and hold on the island. Team that captures/holds it for x minutes wins? Or multiple points can be captured, while points are captured you generate points and the first team to x points wins? Whatever you do for some sort of 'winning' allow that option to be turned off as well, so people can just wander and survive if that's all they want to do.

2) Would be cool if you could set it on how aggressively the AI hunts people. Right now we have no idea whether we're being attacked b/c we're being hunted or if we just got caught in a crossfire between Opfor/Blufor.

3) Option to limit the amount of heli's/airpower would be nice. Now it's all or nothing. Don't mind a few enemy helis, but they seem to be all over the place.

4) Seems great that you respawn with weapons you died with. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you respawn with full magazines for any weapons that you have. Don't know if this is a bug, or by design, just seemed odd.

5) AI seems a bit loopy at times. Might just be part of the A3 code, but I've run up to a truck with bad guys. They stare out me out the window. Then after 20 seconds, they jump out, and go prone on the ground in front of me, looking around until I feel sorry enough to shoot them with my M9 from three feet away.

If you haven't played the Arma 2 mod "Escape from Chernarus" it's well worth a look, just if you want some inspiration or some ideas. :)

Thanks again and looking forward to playing this more!

Edited by MeatballCB