Sign in to follow this  
genesis92x

Endless Survival

boggler;2416757']I appreciate that and look forward for further versions.

Thank you! Means a lot :)

I will pushing out a newer version sometime tonight *hopefully* It will at least include the economic system' date=' weapon stores, improved AI options, better randomness, and more side-missions. I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to implement the base creation system tonight :/ But we shall see. I've never worked with GUI's in ArmA and it's taking quite a bit longer than expected.

http://i.imgur.com/ATVdwuC.jpg

We're hosting an event night based on this mod on this coming Wednesday at 8pm

GMT. Filter IOGC ingame or 188.138.122.37: 2313.

It's testing only - the author is clear about this. In our previous blasts at this we had

a lot of fun. We in iOGC will very probably go Blue, anybody else feel free to go

either Red or Independent. Feel free to speak over Side but only use text in Global.

Wed 19th btw. PVE, PVP, TVT. Plus AI.

Genesis92x > we run the Zeus AI mod on our server and we believe that that is

helping our AI behave well. Nobody saw the AI pointing to the ground as has been

reported.

Awesome! Thanks for the report! I might have to join your for the event you got going on, sounds like it'd be a lot of fun for sure! Hopefully I can get everything I want into the new version tonight.

P.S. I love the picture haha!

Wanted to throw my name into the "Thank you for making this mod!" hat as well. Been playing Arma II with some buddies for a while and we've been looking for something to make us jump to Arma III and stop playing Escape from Chernarus on A2 and we think this may be just the ticket.

Missions needs a little bit of work so there's some sort of 'goal', but otherwise it's pretty good and we've been enjoying it. Couple of comments/suggestions.

1) Really like some of your goals of possibly having capture-able bases and side missions that give the players a goal other than 'wander around and don't get shot'. Unless someone is crazy, in reality they wouldn't just wander the island trying to survive unless they were either trying to escape the island, or had a mission they needed to accomplish. Perhaps something as simple as there's a main point everyone is trying to capture and hold on the island. Team that captures/holds it for x minutes wins? Or multiple points can be captured, while points are captured you generate points and the first team to x points wins? Whatever you do for some sort of 'winning' allow that option to be turned off as well, so people can just wander and survive if that's all they want to do.

2) Would be cool if you could set it on how aggressively the AI hunts people. Right now we have no idea whether we're being attacked b/c we're being hunted or if we just got caught in a crossfire between Opfor/Blufor.

3) Option to limit the amount of heli's/airpower would be nice. Now it's all or nothing. Don't mind a few enemy helis, but they seem to be all over the place.

4) Seems great that you respawn with weapons you died with. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you respawn with full magazines for any weapons that you have. Don't know if this is a bug, or by design, just seemed odd.

5) AI seems a bit loopy at times. Might just be part of the A3 code, but I've run up to a truck with bad guys. They stare out me out the window. Then after 20 seconds, they jump out, and go prone on the ground in front of me, looking around until I feel sorry enough to shoot them with my M9 from three feet away.

If you haven't played the Arma 2 mod "Escape from Chernarus" it's well worth a look, just if you want some inspiration or some ideas. :)

Thanks again and looking forward to playing this more!

1) I really like this idea. I'm imagining 4 bases scattered around the map. Each zone will send +1 point per minute to the team that owns it. And the game is over once X amount of points has been reached. I like that idea a lot. Of course, having it be toggle-able is always good.

2)Hmm. That's an interesting idea. This might be possible by just changing the waypoints of the AI. Right now, the AI are just set on a S.A.D waypoint. This means they get easily 'distracted' and will go after whatever group is most threatening. It would be possible to just give them a DoMove command instead. Obviously, this would be less realistic but would provide the interesting effect of AI getting right up into the player's face. That would feel much more aggressive. I believe they would even follow players better into buildings and what-not. I will have to play around with it. Interesting idea.

3)Yeah, I agree with this. The helicopters can be annoying in mass but fill a certain void when there are some around. I will make it so the players can choose how often the helicopters spawn - to give some control over the spawning.

4)That's a known bug. Unfortunately it's on the back burner for now - all the revive scripts I've used seem to have that bug present. I'm actually not aware on how to squash that one to be honest. Granted, I have not looked deeply into the issue. I am aware of it - it will probably get fixed once I get everything else how I like it. It just doesn't seem like a game-breaking issue currently.

5)Yeah, In the next version the players will have options to tweak with the AI. Apparently it varies from server to server drastically. On my server, with the AI turned way low, they still manage to head-shot players annoyingly consistently. In some servers, the AI will just walk up to the players, offer tea and crumpets, and proceed to smash their very own faces into the ground. I've never had an issue with that before - but I'm hoping allowing each server to select the skill for the AI should resolve this.

And I will have to check out Escape from Chernarus! It sounds promising.

I would also like to thank everyone for their support. I'm amazed at how supportive this community is :) Stay awesome.

Thank you! Means a lot :)

1) I really like this idea. I'm imagining 4 bases scattered around the map. Each zone will send +1 point per minute to the team that owns it. And the game is over once X amount of points has been reached. I like that idea a lot. Of course, having it be toggle-able is always good.

2)Hmm. That's an interesting idea. This might be possible by just changing the waypoints of the AI. Right now, the AI are just set on a S.A.D waypoint. This means they get easily 'distracted' and will go after whatever group is most threatening. It would be possible to just give them a DoMove command instead. Obviously, this would be less realistic but would provide the interesting effect of AI getting right up into the player's face. That would feel much more aggressive. I believe they would even follow players better into buildings and what-not. I will have to play around with it. Interesting idea.

Can't wait to see the new version! As for your comments.

1) If at all possible, I think toggling on/off of any win conditions would be good, because I'm sure there's some people out there that would just like to run around for hours on end trying to survive.

2) This is one thing that Escape for Chernarus in A2 did right. I don't know how, but basically you could 'lose' the AI and be safe, but if you ran into a patrol, or an enemy chopper spotted you, next thing you know reinforcements are showing up (by truck and even to the point of AI units parachuting out of a helicopter). Definitely changes up the dynamic because instead of always being hunted, you could be safe in some areas and you actually had to decide if it was worth ambushing some enemy troops for supplies vs. the chance you'd get overwhelmed with reinforcements.

If you feel like trying Escape, drop me a PM and maybe we can get a group to run through it together. It's very hard to do with one person, but we have 4-5 of us that play it pretty often and would be happy to have you along. :)

Edited by MeatballCB

Can't wait to see the new version! As for your comments.

1) If at all possible, I think toggling on/off of Win conditions would be great, mainly because I'm sure there's some people out there that would just like to run around for hours on end trying to survive.

2) This is one thing that Escape for Chernarus in A2 did right. I don't know how, but basically you could 'lose' the AI and be safe, but if you ran into a patrol, or an enemy chopper spotted you, next thing you know reinforcements are showing up (by truck and even to the point of AI units parachuting out of a helicopter). Definitely changes up the dynamic because instead of always being hunted, you could be safe in some areas and you actually had to decide if it was worth ambushing some enemy troops for supplies vs. the chance you'd get overwhelmed with reinforcements.

If you feel like trying Escape, drop me a PM and maybe we can get a group to run through it together. It's very hard to do with one person, but we have 4-5 of us that play it pretty often and would be happy to have you along. :)

1) I agree :D

2) Hmm that is an interesting mechanic. That would require some more tweaking around with the AIwaypoint scripts. The way it works right now, is that a random waypoint will spawn on a random player every 4-ish minutes. The AI will move to that position until given a new order. Instead of having it update every 4 minutes I could do the following:

First 10 minutes the AI hunt the player down like before: (This ensures that the players know the general area the majority of the AI are in)

After 10 minutes the AI will only hunt players that are "spotted". So when a player engages a group of AI - their waypoint marker will change to the aggressing group.

I like that...but will probably not be in the next version. I like that a lot though.

And, I don't have A2 installed :( But I could get it installed soon

Edit: I would also like to note that if people are savvy with scripting and want ideas implemented, just PM me. If you got the scripts, I got the time heehee. I don't mind help in the slightest - I just want to make this a fun mission :>

Edited by Genesis92x

Edit: I would also like to note that if people are savvy with scripting and want ideas implemented, just PM me. If you got the scripts, I got the time heehee. I don't mind help in the slightest - I just want to make this a fun mission :>

I would _love_ to help, but I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about scripting/modding for Arma 2/3. I was planning on jumping in and giving it a shot once Arma 3 Beta hits though, so if you know anywhere good that I could pick up some basics, I'd be happy to offer the little help I can. :)

Edited by MeatballCB

I would _love_ to help, but I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about scripting/modding for Arma 2/3. I was planning on jumping in and giving it a shot once Arma 3 Beta hits though, so if you know anywhere good that I could pick up some basics, I'd be happy to offer the little help I can. :)

Sometimes the best help is just having someone to give ideas about improvements and/or new features :)

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Version 0.46

Survival 0.46

Okay, I've worked for the majority of the night squashing bugs and getting a lot of requests in. I wasn't able to get them all in quite yet but I plan too - so if you requested a feature and you don't see it, it's because I am still working on it!

For this time around:

-Added basic economy system. Players get 10 dollars per hit on enemies

-Added AI parameters. Players can now change the skill of the AI at will

-Added AI Helicopter time respawn parameters. Players can now choose how long it takes for the reinforcement/support helicopters to arrive

-Added gun shop's and object shops into the game. They are currently located within' the capturable areas.

-Added capturable areas. These areas give the players 250 dollars instantly. (In the next version they will slowly feed the players cash. Also, in the next version capturing all the areas will result in a victory, if enabled)

-Killed some bugs with the snipers not tracking players

-Killed some memory hogs

I meant to add a lot more on this update. But the GUI (Still looks ugly) took a lot longer to setup. I've never worked with GUI's before so I had to learn a lot today :(

Priority for next release:

-Capturing all areas will result in win

-Adding more capturing areas

-Adding A LOT more side missions to keep the game rolling.

Awesome! I jumped in for a few minutes this morning and messed around for a while and it looks like a lot of fun with the additions. I did have a few questions and comments after messing with it for a bit.

1) Do you capture areas just by being in them a certain time? What flips the switch so someone else 'owns' it? I camped by myself for about 20 minutes at Air Station Mike (by myself) and I captured it after a bit (think about 10'ish minutes), but I never lost it, even though I was getting overrun (and killed) constantly. Another thing about capturing I noticed is that the AI would never go try to capture the other points, so if I'm playing co-op with friends on the same side against all AI the AI is never going to try to capture the other bases, they'll only spawn around you, trying to kill you. Put that together with you never seeming to lose ownership of the base if you stay there and you're going to win no matter what at some point.

2) Is there any way to check, or show how much money a player has? Maybe put it in the inventory or even show it on the HUD in one of the corners.

3) Now that there's stores, you can probably turn down the amount of guns/ammo that spawn in buildings and vehicles. Getting money/using the vendors really isn't all that important when there's free weapons and ammo lying around in all the buildings and vehicles.

4) Speaking of vendors. Might want to move them inside buildings or something. In that battle I was having at Air Station Mike, swarms of enemy were running all around, shooting by (and through) the vendor NPC. Now that's dedication to making a dollar... :)

5) Can you set the default respawn faction to 'Side'? Seems to work the best with the least confusion.

6) I've noticed the start of the missions when vehicles spawn in, occasionally some of them will blow up. Not sure if they're too close to each other or what the deal is, but just something I saw a couple of times.

7) Maybe I just didn't see it, but I found a repair/rearm pad at Air Station Mike, and I think one at Camp Rogain, but I never found one at the airstrip. Think it'd make more sense for there to be one there as opposed to anywhere else.

8) $10 seems a lot to get every time you shoot someone. (I had over $700 in a couple minutes of a firefight). Maybe only give it when you kill someone, or drop it down to $1/hit. You could also toss in some sort of 'death' penalty that you lose a ton of $ (or all of it) when you die/respawn unless revived by a teammate.

9) How about adding in a vendor at the airstrip that will actually sell Heli's/Vehicles (for crazy prices)?

10) What does "AI Suppression" actually do?

Edits: Added more thoughts as I played more :)

Edited by MeatballCB

Awesome! I jumped in for a few minutes this morning and messed around for a while and it looks like a lot of fun with the additions. I did have a few questions and comments after messing with it for a bit.

1) Do you capture areas just by being in them a certain time? What flips the switch so someone else 'owns' it? I camped by myself for about 20 minutes at Air Station Mike (by myself) and I captured it after a bit (think about 10'ish minutes), but I never lost it, even though I was getting overrun (and killed) constantly. Another thing about capturing I noticed is that the AI would never go try to capture the other points, so if I'm playing co-op with friends on the same side against all AI the AI is never going to try to capture the other bases, they'll only spawn around you, trying to kill you. Put that together with you never seeming to lose ownership of the base if you stay there and you're going to win no matter what at some point.

2) Is there any way to check, or show how much money a player has? Maybe put it in the inventory or even show it on the HUD in one of the corners.

3) Now that there's stores, you can probably turn down the amount of guns/ammo that spawn in buildings and vehicles. Getting money/using the vendors really isn't all that important when there's free weapons and ammo lying around in all the buildings and vehicles.

4) Speaking of vendors. Might want to move them inside buildings or something. In that battle I was having at Air Station Mike, swarms of enemy were running all around, shooting by (and through) the vendor NPC. Now that's dedication to making a dollar... :)

5) Can you set the default respawn faction to 'Side'? Seems to work the best with the least confusion.

6) I've noticed the start of the missions when vehicles spawn in, occasionally some of them will blow up. Not sure if they're too close to each other or what the deal is, but just something I saw a couple of times.

7) Maybe I just didn't see it, but I found a repair/rearm pad at Air Station Mike, and I think one at Camp Rogain, but I never found one at the airstrip. Think it'd make more sense for there to be one there as opposed to anywhere else.

8) $10 seems a lot to get every time you shoot someone. (I had over $700 in a couple minutes of a firefight). Maybe only give it when you kill someone, or drop it down to $1/hit. You could also toss in some sort of 'death' penalty that you lose a ton of $ (or all of it) when you die/respawn unless revived by a teammate.

9) How about adding in a vendor at the airstrip that will actually sell Heli's/Vehicles (for crazy prices)?

10) What does "AI Suppression" actually do?

Edits: Added more thoughts as I played more :)

Thanks for the review! This really helps me focus my attention!

1)The concept of the AI taking bases is in a strange stage with me. I'm not sure if I want to spawn AI groups to attack the outposts or not. The more AI the worse really (In terms of FPS and server lag). I might leave outpost capture to the players, but we shall see. As for how the system works - I just use the "seized by" command. I'm assuming you never lost it because OPfor and BLUfor could never really "take" the area from you - because one side would have to become completely eliminated for them to take it from you.

This is how it works

Seized by <side> - Will activate when the seizing side is deemed to be in control of the area. This trigger type works with the Timeout Counter values - a low level of dominance will activate the trigger after a period of time close to the max timeout, and visa versa. Depending on unit types, the seizing side can be completely outnumbered (4:1) and still satisfy the minimum required level of presence for the Maximum timeout counter. This trigger type can also be used with the any Detected By <side> option, meaning only units known to the Detected By side will be considered by the seized by calculation. This can easily create some interesting area domination effects. For example, a Seized by BLUFOR trigger using the Detected By BLUFOR option will activate when BLUFOR think they have seized the area, while the same trigger using Detected by OPFOR option will activate when OPFOR think BLUFOR have seized the area. The Not Present option inverts the triggers normal behaviour (ie, Not Seized by <side>).

I'm not neccessarily happy with it, so it might change in the near future

2)Yes, this is one option - I will probably create a HUD that displays the amount of money. It's just tedious work for little reward and I haven't gotten around to it yet. But I agree, the money needs to be observable somehow, without it being another addaction.

3)I totally agree - the # of spawning weapons should decrease, as well as the amount of loot that spawns inside vehicles. I think I will give the players more starting cash (and more traders) so in they can purchase a gun right away and not be forced to find one.

4)Heehee, yes this is a very good idea. I thought of this last night but was too tired to hop in and out of the editor just to find the 'sweet-spots' for the vendors. In-fact, the players can move the vendors by repeatedly running them over and making them ragdoll. I flung a Blackmarket AI almost 500 meters with a concrete barrier.

5)Yeah, I think that's a good idea. There seems to be a bug with people playing on Independent and spawning on their dead bodies...but I think I will do that

6)I know what causes this. I used to use the 'find best location' command when spawning vehicles but this produced an interesting bug where I'd sometimes get 15-30 vehicles all spawning on the same hill instead of dispersed around. So I went back to exact point location spawning - so somtimes two vehicles will spawn on the same point - and that is how baby explosions are made.

7)Yeah - I actually forgot about those. I threw in the repair strips for a friend of mine before I released the mission. I placed them in positions we usually would hold out in. It would make a lot more sense to place those in...sensible areas.

8)Yeah the "getting money for hitting AI" is weird. I did it because...well... I was just curious if it would be better in the long run. I like it in the sense that if two players shoot at an AI, they will both get money no matter what (as long as they hit the AI). This eliminates the concept of kill stealing and prevents people from focusing too much on just hoarding AI kills. 10 Dollars may be a bit drastic - I will try reducing it down to 5 and give a penalty for death. I really like that concept.

9)This! I was thinking of that, as well as a vendor that will sell basic vehicles as well.

10)AI suppression uses this system. Turning it on simply enables it. To be honest, I usually don't see a difference with it on or off...not sure if I accidently the entire script or not. To be honest I haven't really play tested it at all. I just assumed it would work :D

Edit: I will start working on these probably tomorrow. I work late tonight (Currently at work >:| ) and I just want to play some Starcraft 2 HoTS :D!!!!

Edit2:Spaceman Spiff is the best. Just sayin'.

Edited by Genesis92x

We had great fun playing this tonight. Thanks to any of the randoms that came on. The PVP at the end was very satisfying. I'd be a rich man if I had't logged off.

Still a few bugs but I'll ask the guys first before I post them up. One thing though... when the AI appear (for instance we'd just captured Mike) it does give the impression that they've just spawned in facing eachother - silence, then instantly there was sounds of a full on battle. Maybe stagger their spawning in?

This mod will be nuts when we've got tanks. BTW Genesis... or anybody else. I've been naturally hesitant about cranking up the number of AI. Has anybody tried this yet?

Edited by SaL_iOGC

We had great fun playing this tonight. Thanks to any of the randoms that came on. The PVP at the end was very satisfying. I'd be a rich man if I had't logged off.

Still a few bugs but I'll ask the guys first before I post them up. One thing though... when the AI appear (for instance we'd just captured Mike) it does give the impression that they've just spawned in facing eachother - silence, then instantly there was sounds of a full on battle. Maybe stagger their spawning in?

This mod will be nuts when we've got tanks. BTW Genesis... or anybody else. I've been naturally hesitant about cranking up the number of AI. Has anybody tried this yet?

Thanks for playing! I'm glad it was good fun! I wish I could have joined you but I had work at the time :(

As for the AI spawning, I do stagger it a little with this

sleep (20 + (random 15));

But the random timer may not be long enough. I wonder if I changed it to something like this

sleep (5 + (random 60));

That might stagger it a bit more.

Increasing the # of AI can be very demanding on the server and clients - more so on the server however. If the server is strong enough, and has a good enough connection, you can crank it up and give it a test go. Generally speaking, AI tend to be the biggest FPS hogs for servers. More AI = more sluggish AI in general. But like I said, it all depends on the AI

Thanks for the review! This really helps me focus my attention!

1)The concept of the AI taking bases is in a strange stage with me. I'm not sure if I want to spawn AI groups to attack the outposts or not. The more AI the worse really (In terms of FPS and server lag). I might leave outpost capture to the players, but we shall see. As for how the system works - I just use the "seized by" command. I'm assuming you never lost it because OPfor and BLUfor could never really "take" the area from you - because one side would have to become completely eliminated for them to take it from you.

Ah...I see. Gotta be a way to do it without worrying about AI trying to capture bases and the only way I can think of is you really have 2 win/lose conditions. First would be if any team gets to X 'points', whether points are the dollars the players get or some sort of points/resources that build up for the team as they hold points (holding more points generates your points faster). The second piece that could make it work is that a team automatically loses (can no longer spawn maybe?) if they go below a certain threshold of some value. Maybe so many deaths, loss of points or something. That would require penalties to teams to be doled out on player deaths, loss of bases, etc., though.

Another option is you could just create say 3 bases, one for each team, that they start off as 'holding' at the start of the game. Then toss in 3 or 4 other bases that are unowned and can be captured by anyone. All the bases generate a certain amount of points over time and the first team to a certain amount of points (settable as an option?), wins. If any team no longer holds any bases they can no longer spawn and 'lose' unless a player still alive from the team can capture one before he dies. That would probably work for both games where there are players on the opposite teams as well games where the players are all on one team and playing against AI. The only downside I could see with that is players jump on as Indie, hightail it to the two AI team spawns before they spawn and grab them at the beginning of the game and cheese out a win. Maybe bases revert back to 'noone' owning if there aren't any of those teams players in the area after a set period of time?

Edit2:Spaceman Spiff is the best. Just sayin'.
He's pretty good, but he's not Stupendous... :)

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

We tried running it "Normal" last night and there were flipping guys and trucks everywhere. :) Was great, but after about two hours of us defending the airfield the game started to bog down a bit. I was hosting for 5 of us, so I'm not sure if it was my machine, my ISP (30 MB Down/5 MB Up), or the mission just choking on all the units, bodies, destroyed vehicles and AI. I never saw the game pull more than 50% of my CPU though. Edited by MeatballCB

Ah...I see. Gotta be a way to do it without worrying about AI trying to capture bases and the only way I can think of is you really have 2 win/lose conditions. First would be if any team gets to X 'points', whether points are the dollars the players get or some sort of points/resources that build up for the team as they hold points (holding more points generates your points faster). The second piece that could make it work is that a team automatically loses (can no longer spawn maybe?) if they go below a certain threshold of some value. Maybe so many deaths, loss of points or something. That would require penalties to teams to be doled out on player deaths, loss of bases, etc., though.

Another option is you could just create say 3 bases, one for each team, that they start off as 'holding' at the start of the game. Then toss in 3 or 4 other bases that are unowned and can be captured by anyone. All the bases generate a certain amount of points over time and the first team to a certain amount of points (settable as an option?), wins. If any team no longer holds any bases they can no longer spawn and 'lose' unless a player still alive from the team can capture one before he dies. That would probably work for both games where there are players on the opposite teams as well games where the players are all on one team and playing against AI. The only downside I could see with that is players jump on as Indie, hightail it to the two AI team spawns before they spawn and grab them at the beginning of the game and cheese out a win. Maybe bases revert back to 'noone' owning if there aren't any of those teams players in the area after a set period of time?

He's pretty good, but he's not Stupendous... :)

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

We tried running it "Normal" last night and there were flipping guys and trucks everywhere. :) Was great, but after about two hours of us defending the airfield the game started to bog down a bit. I was hosting for 5 of us, so I'm not sure if it was my machine, my ISP (30 MB Down/5 MB Up), or the mission just choking on all the units, bodies an AI. I never saw the game pull more than 50% of my CPU though.

Hmm so many good ideas. I like everything I'm hearing so far. I like the point system for victory as well. More bases captured means more points per minute and etc. Over the next couple of days I'm going to focus on improving the shop system and fix some general compaints and etc. Then I will really hammer out some good objectives. The next release won't be as quick as the others but should include a lot more content at least. As your concern about the mission bogging down after awhile - I have noticed this sometimes. I think it may be with the AI helicopters but I can't be sure. I will need to look more deep into it, because sometimes we can play a mission for 24 hours without a hitch. Sometimes 2 hours in the server just cries.\

Edit: Again, thanks for the help :D!

Happy to help. Actually spent a good chunk of the day myself finally jumping in and getting my hands dirty with the Editor. Really just doing basic stuff like placing units, triggers, waypoints, and just a smidge with modules, but I'm having fun. I'll get to scripting eventually and maybe be able to help you out. :)

Version 0.48

Survival V0.48

-Created a new system to delete AI groups to prevent them from reaching the 144 group limit (more efficently)

-Capturable areas are now captured by flag poles near the center of the area. The flag pole should have an action that will begin the capping process

(AI will capture these from you!)

-Shops have been revamped (Thanks Garret!)

-There are many more shops now, and more planned for purchasing attachments and etc.

-An inflation system now exists for shops. Shop prices will vary depending on the current inflation rates. Currently this is random, however this will change within the next few version. Meaning that players can directly affect the prices in the shops.

-All new beta equipment is added

-Script optimizations

-Fixed GUI not showing properly

-Added more side missions

-Added winning condition

-A couple other things I can't think of right now

What will I be adding next?

-I am going to be making a seperate set of scripts that will handle the AI capturing areas more aggressively now. Currently (In a CooP game) it's easy to just cap all the points and win without too much challenge.

-Ability to give others money

-Ability to sell items at the shop

-More side missions weeeee

Thank you! And stay awesome!

Edited by Genesis92x

Woot! Busy the next couple of days, but can't wait to try it out!

Got a chance to play with a few friends tonight for about an hour. Had fun for sure! Great upgrade and a lot more fun, thanks! Couple of comments from our first playthrough.

1) The point scrolling looks great with the Opfor/Blufor/Guerilla scores, but any way to make the BG behind it a bit more opaque so they stand out a bit more?

2) I was playing the game in a window and it chopped off the bottom half of the money I had in the bottom right hand corner for some reason. Seems alright in full screen though, so it might be my window. Any chance you can bump it up a bit higher in the corner and maybe make it stand out a bit more too. You could just add it to the score ticker in the top right, 3 scores, your money, repeat...

3) On load and when vehicles and stuff were spawning, there was some config.bin error popups that I think were just related to changes in object/class names in Beta. There's a great tool over in Armaholic someone put together to update missions from Alpha to Beta that might fix any of those errors.

4) Spawning is just wonky. When you die, you might be able to spawn in 5 seconds, other times it's 60, but I'm not sure what's the trigger between the two. Also, sometimes I try to spawn on a teammate, and it'll countdown 3 or 4 seconds and then reset like I haven't tried to respawn yet and I have to do it again.

5) Speaking of respawns, any chance teams can respawn at the flagpole of any points they own?

6) This might be a bug in general with Arma, b/c I think I've seen it elsewhere, but some people seem to have trouble pulling weapons out of the back of trucks or off corpses and dragging/adding to their inventory. Yet, they can drag it and drop it to the ground and then pick it up.

7) Doesn't seem to be any randomness to where people spawn. If I pick the same medic slot, I always spawn in the same location. Might be more interesting to have it be randomized if it's not a ton of codework to deal with.

8) Usually when I'm going in with friends we play Independant, but squad up immediately. Maybe maybe one or two squads in Independent as well as solo slots so people can just start in the same squad if they want.

9) AI sort of seems to capture spots? We played for about an hour, ran around and grabbed up three of the spots pretty easily and OpFor/BluFor never tried to grab them back even though they had people all over the place near some of them. (We got trapped in the Marina for about 30 minutes, surrounding by both sides and had a blast!) Blufor did grab one point, but I think it had to do with one of the side missions forcing them to do it.

10) Speaking of captures, someone could total cheese, set the AI to spawn in 10 minutes and then go with a few friends and grab every point b/f the AI even spawns getting a pretty big leg up. Maybe no matter what people set for delay, as soon as the first flag is capped, AI spawns regardless?

11) Side missions - To be honest, we haven't really done many of them since we're too busy defending ourselves. :) But it seems like they're a lot of "Team is capturing, go wipe them out!" That's fine, but when we're already surrounded by 20 or 30 or that team, it doesn't seem like a priority. Also, what if players are on that team? That mission really wouldn't be something they wanted to do. Might make sense to make the side missions something that all teams would want to go get because they have a big reward, ($1000?) and it's a generic thing that everyone would want. Things like there's a random supply drop, first team to get it wins the side mission or there's a High value target at a random location and the first team kill them wins the side mission.

All in all, we had a lot of fun and can't wait to play some more. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Edited by MeatballCB

Got a chance to play with a few friends tonight for about an hour. Had fun for sure! Great upgrade and a lot more fun, thanks! Couple of comments from our first playthrough.

1) The point scrolling looks great with the Opfor/Blufor/Guerilla scores, but any way to make the BG behind it a bit more opaque so they stand out a bit more?

2) I was playing the game in a window and it chopped off the bottom half of the money I had in the bottom right hand corner for some reason. Seems alright in full screen though, so it might be my window. Any chance you can bump it up a bit higher in the corner and maybe make it stand out a bit more too. You could just add it to the score ticker in the top right, 3 scores, your money, repeat...

3) On load and when vehicles and stuff were spawning, there was some config.bin error popups that I think were just related to changes in object/class names in Beta. There's a great tool over in Armaholic someone put together to update missions from Alpha to Beta that might fix any of those errors.

4) Spawning is just wonky. When you die, you might be able to spawn in 5 seconds, other times it's 60, but I'm not sure what's the trigger between the two. Also, sometimes I try to spawn on a teammate, and it'll countdown 3 or 4 seconds and then reset like I haven't tried to respawn yet and I have to do it again.

5) Speaking of respawns, any chance teams can respawn at the flagpole of any points they own?

6) This might be a bug in general with Arma, b/c I think I've seen it elsewhere, but some people seem to have trouble pulling weapons out of the back of trucks or off corpses and dragging/adding to their inventory. Yet, they can drag it and drop it to the ground and then pick it up.

7) Doesn't seem to be any randomness to where people spawn. If I pick the same medic slot, I always spawn in the same location. Might be more interesting to have it be randomized if it's not a ton of codework to deal with.

8) Usually when I'm going in with friends we play Independant, but squad up immediately. Maybe maybe one or two squads in Independent as well as solo slots so people can just start in the same squad if they want.

9) AI sort of seems to capture spots? We played for about an hour, ran around and grabbed up three of the spots pretty easily and OpFor/BluFor never tried to grab them back even though they had people all over the place near some of them. (We got trapped in the Marina for about 30 minutes, surrounding by both sides and had a blast!) Blufor did grab one point, but I think it had to do with one of the side missions forcing them to do it.

10) Speaking of captures, someone could total cheese, set the AI to spawn in 10 minutes and then go with a few friends and grab every point b/f the AI even spawns getting a pretty big leg up. Maybe no matter what people set for delay, as soon as the first flag is capped, AI spawns regardless?

11) Side missions - To be honest, we haven't really done many of them since we're too busy defending ourselves. :) But it seems like they're a lot of "Team is capturing, go wipe them out!" That's fine, but when we're already surrounded by 20 or 30 or that team, it doesn't seem like a priority. Also, what if players are on that team? That mission really wouldn't be something they wanted to do. Might make sense to make the side missions something that all teams would want to go get because they have a big reward, ($1000?) and it's a generic thing that everyone would want. Things like there's a random supply drop, first team to get it wins the side mission or there's a High value target at a random location and the first team kill them wins the side mission.

All in all, we had a lot of fun and can't wait to play some more. Thanks again for all the hard work!

1) Yes :) I have a friend working on a new GUI setup that will look much better. (Also, for the shops)

2)I realized this issue as well. I used safeZones incorrectly and this has been fixed!

3)I will have to take a look at this. The problem is that I reference weapon arrays and etc in so many scripts that it's tiresome to have to go change. Each. Individual. Script. But I will get on this for sure!

4)You will have to check your parameters on this one - The default setting works like this:

Players can respawn instantly (give or take 10 seconds) if there is no ALLY within 50 meters. If there is an ally within 50 meters, you have to wait the default 60 seconds or be revived. If you have an ally that gets within 50 meters it may reset your respawn timer. The respawn scripts I use are from the INS_REVIVE - and as amazing as they are, I keep getting headaches from them. The respawn is iffy, the base system seems to work some of the time, and it generally seems unreliable overall. I will be looking hard at the revive in attempt to fix some of the more irritating bugs.

5)This is actually a very good idea :D

6)This has been a bug with ArmA since A2, the server won't recognize that clients are interacting with a vehicle until they either (A)get inside the vehicle and move it a foot or two or (B)drop weapons on the ground and then pick them up. I'm not aware of any fix for this without including a massive work-around script.

7)The spawning should be random per restart of the mission. I just use Bohemia's default random radius spawning sytem. Which is terrible. I would like to get a better random spawning system in. However, I'm looking to have persitent data included in the mission...so we shall see how this goes.

8)Possibly - Ind is supposed to be more like a solo faction, a bit more disorganized, as they have no armies present during the battle. But I might add in a group or two there.

9)Since capturing is now an addaction command (due to lag issues) AI will not automatically capture points. Currently I am designing a new set of scripts that will make the AI aggressively capture points - giving the players a challenge in CooP. I really wanted to just have the points be a PvP thing...however, majority of people just love love CooP! I love CooP as well, but I figured with all the Wasteland servers people were into a more PvP side of things! For the next release expect fairly aggressive AI for capping points :)

10)I totally agree, however this is a balance issue that I wasn't really focused on. There's so many things that need fixing/testing (as the mission gets more complicated it gets much harder to keep up with all the bugs/etc). However...this is a very simple fix, I would just need a single variable to check for any captured points.

11)Supply drops/important vehicle and etc would be better side missions. Sadly, scripting in side missions is a huge time suck and difficult to do when I'm still implementing basic ideas. There are a lot of things I need to improve with this system.

Awesome! Thanks again for all the hard work. The mission is a lot of fun! Appreciate the responses too, looking forward to new versions!

3)I will have to take a look at this. The problem is that I reference weapon arrays and etc in so many scripts that it's tiresome to have to go change. Each. Individual. Script. But I will get on this for sure!

Yeah, I can imagine. Check <a href="http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21243">this tool out</a>, might do all the hard work for you...

8)Possibly - Ind is supposed to be more like a solo faction, a bit more disorganized, as they have no armies present during the battle. But I might add in a group or two there.

Totally understood, but I expect most people going in Coop mode are going to go independent and team up so they can fight against Blufor/Opfor. It's not a big deal either way, setting up a squad takes next to no time. :)

Version 0.50 will drop after this weekend as more bugs are fixed and content is implemented. Shops have seen a major overhaul (Screenshot), and hopefully soon the Player HUD will get one as well. We've got a lot planned, so make sure you to keep an eye out on the coming release. Dominic has worked very hard on improving the play experience and challenge, and let me say that it is nearing bliss.

Hey!

Well i came across this mission a few days ago and my clan is now at the point that we now have a server running this mission!

We have rented a server from HFB Servers and with a few changes to the .PBO (many thanks to Deathlyrage from Breaking Point for doing this) this runs great on a server environment!

I myself am a Machinima Network partner with YouTube and im looking to see if you would be interested in me making some video content on this mod to help promote it?

Also myself and my clan are more than happy to get involved in any testing and we look forward to the 0.50 release.

Great work on the mod dude and we look forward to seeing where it goes in the future!

If you wish to talk to me further with regards to making video content or server hosting feel free to contact me.

I hope you dont feel im being too forward, we just really love your mod idea and would love to get involved where we can.

Cheers!

Hey!

Well i came across this mission a few days ago and my clan is now at the point that we now have a server running this mission!

We have rented a server from HFB Servers and with a few changes to the .PBO (many thanks to Deathlyrage from Breaking Point for doing this) this runs great on a server environment!

I myself am a Machinima Network partner with YouTube and im looking to see if you would be interested in me making some video content on this mod to help promote it?

Also myself and my clan are more than happy to get involved in any testing and we look forward to the 0.50 release.

Great work on the mod dude and we look forward to seeing where it goes in the future!

If you wish to talk to me further with regards to making video content or server hosting feel free to contact me.

I hope you dont feel im being too forward, we just really love your mod idea and would love to get involved where we can.

Cheers!

I really appreciate the support! It really does mean a lot! I would love to help you out in any way that I could. I'd like to push out version .50 tonight and then fix any immediate bugs before making any videos though :o Hopefully we can make the experience that much more enjoyable!

Thank you again, and stay awesome

Woo! Videos and .50, can't wait!

Yeah :D!!! Sorry about the long wait - there's been so much changed and reconfigured, the amount of work was a lot more than I ever expected. I'm just glad I was able to get so much help!

Endless Survival Version 0.50

Download

A better feature list:

Feature List:

•Endless Hell - Endless Survival (ES) can be set to either last indefinitely, or have a win condition, it’s up to you. A lot of ES is randomly generated, meaning with a little influence by you, the mission can create memories time and again.

•Advanced AI - Using the term “Advanced†lightly, the AI will always be hot on your trail, and try to take Centers of Interest (COI) for themselves, which generate Team Points. Team points are sometimes required to win, if the parameter is set as such, or can just be for bragging rights.

•Coop or PvP? - Why not both? Endless Survival provides a playground for you, your friends, and your server regulars to play together as a band fighters, or as multiple armies at each others’ throats.

•Black Market - A full Shop system enabling players to buy and sell gear, as well as buy vehicles and objects.

•Base Market - Similar to the Black Market, these personnel can be found at COI’s, and provide more basic services, such as weapons and fortifications. Players seeking the full Market should find Black Market Camps.

•Economy - ES is constantly honing its Economy with every update. With the advent of players being able to sell gear, some more economic savvy players can play the Markup and Resale, selling when the time is right, and buying when the time is cheap. Soon, players will also be able to transfer money to one another, which can be used to help fellow team mates, or broker deals with rival team leaders.

•INS Revive - ES also supports the INS Revive Suite, which enables UAV Recon, Squad Management, and the tweaking of Grass Level and View Distance for On Foot, In Vehicle, and In Aircraft. INS Revive settings can be set via parameters.

•Squad Management - Roll alone, or join a squad of fellow players. The Squad Management UI is provided by the INS.

•Dialogs*Dialogs*? - Dialogs. And lots of them! Because that makes a mission good, right? No, in seriousness, we’ve done our best to create smooth, clean, and simple interfaces that get the job done, and don’t make your eyes bleed. There are still some remnants of the INS Displays (Not saying they were eye bleeders, though some of the other dialogs I’ve seen...), for Settings, UAVs, Squad Management and such, but we’re slowly making a move to our own with time.

Known Bugs:

•Bug: Magazine Script Doesn’t Recognize Grenade Launchers/Underbarrels.

•Bug: Mission Info Box needs a Scroll Bar, or alternative solution.

•Bug: UAV Recon in Toolbox doesn’t function.

•Bug: AI Capturing is not ideal yet - sometimes get stuck and etc.

I'm going to be gutting the AI system and re-doing it. The hopes will be to optimize everything :D

*Just realized I double posted. I'm sorry :(

Edited by Genesis92x

Hi Genesis, first off great job on this, love playing it with a small team of guys. hard on the machine with all the AI :-P

I have noticed when trying to use the objects to barricade in a location the AI walk through them, my suggestion would be to use the createvehicle array instead ot spawn the object.

In \gamemodes\LTJ_Infected\buyobject.sqf

change from

((ObjectArray select _objectnumber) select 1) createVehicle (getPos player);

change to

createVehicle [((ObjectArray select _objectnumber) select 1),(getPos player),[],0,"CAN_COLLIDE"];

I have tested in the editor and it appears to work, will report back when I can test in MP - if I get time and am not playing.

Thank you! I will have to give these changes a try - If these work, that'd be amazing :D