Tyl3r99

A quantum leap - Arma 4

I think that they should make ArmA 4 modern (like from late cold war to around the time when we were in Afghanistan), they should implement mods into the base game, (like enhanced movement) and i think that when developing the game, they take ideas from what the majority of the community desires. One thing i'd like to see if they do an older time era is something other than a game based mainly off of the US, like the Falklands war with the Brits and Argentinians. A main feature they need to work on is the game ragdolls and physics, The ragdolls make it seem like the body loses all of its bones in Arma 3 and arma 2 had set animations. The physics are also really bad for vehicles where it makes it seem like a tank has the same weight as a car but takes a little more force to move a tank. A lot of games are turning to the future, which is destroying them, and making the graphics more cartoon looking which attracts a more younger audience making me think that they're only in it for the money these days. Arma 2 graphics are amazing compared to Arma 3 in realism (my opinion) and i think that they should just redesign Arma 2 textures and models to make them more realistic using a new engine (the Arma 3 engine is terrible for online because on any server you're fps will disappear). Loving aircraft myself in both Arma 2 and 3 i believe that they should make flying realistic, for example in any Arma game if you get locked on with a missile, you just pop flare and you're okay, whereas in real life it's not always a simple, you need skill to evade missiles, flares don't always work. If i was to have anything to do with Arma 4 and was planning it, i'd have a look on Arma 2 and see how much i could advance from there, lighting, the realism of flying, movement realism, making texture look realistic, make sound realistic like bullet cracks and gun sounds, just make everything overall realistic. I know this would put an extreme demand on PC specs but gamers who agree and want the realism wouldn't care for the requirements. The realism would overall create a more mature community because younger players in Arma 3 probably saw it like call of duty with that games graphics being on the cartoony side.

• Like 2

I'm saying Arma 4 should be set in the current Armaverse (CSAT vs NATO). Maybe South America and functional Eastwind Devices? Vanilla rappeling, climbing and fastropes are a must. Also, maybe some sort of space tech (spy satelite, orbital weapon modules?). On the technicas side, an Eden-esque 3D map editor.

As the op said this is for fun mate, I for one would like same universe also, it works well for 3 in my opinion. Add in a few of the more popular mods as features, map in someplace cold and snowy, china mountains anyone with dynamic weather?

• Like 1

I haven't read through this thread so forgive me if these things have been mentioned, but I would like to see a few technological features implemented.

# Ability to cut through terrain so you can add underground structures such as tunnels, sewers, caves etc.

# Support for larger heightmap dimensions.

# Ability to add high detail insets so you can add detailed terrain features such as trenches, ditches, narrow canals etc.

# Reintroduce the _mco multiplier per surface type from Arma 1.

# Ability to add above sea level bodies of water (lakes, rivers etc.)

# Better documentaion and improved modding tools which should have more features such that modders don't have to resort to as much 3rd party tools.

# More advanced road construction, maybe splines this time? Also ability to add special road pieces along a polyline.

#Parallax mapping for 3d models.

# THIS

Modern, 2017 warfare, Russia, USA, Rebels, that whats done best job in 2001 (OFP), some new cold war, fictional island similar to Ukraine or Russia, Balkans and some desert region or something and they got best selling product on earth + High quality vehicles - dont mess Russian tanks like in Arma 2 where T-90 was barely keeping its shape, and T-72M1 had some squares on frontal armor. Highest quality for both countries, not only US. Many peoples from community surely would help, Dactyrum (sorry if writed wrong) created T-90A beast first for arma 3 (or even 2) from Veteran Mod, and it looked very sexy, MI-28, Mi-24, T-72B3, T-90A, BTR-82A, BMP-2, BMP-3, BMD-2, BMD-4 Some jets, transport plane and you got Russians.
Rebels (Greenfor) would operate same vehicles in older versions, more damaged, lacking of some parts, with all spare parts, backpacks fitted to vehicle outside armor.
For USA, Abrams M1A1, M1A2 (tusk and normal), Bradley, Lav 25, M113, Apache, Cobra's, C130
And some drones for all, maybe thos handheld (launched from hands)

Or Hire RHS crew for this....

And you got Arma 4 in climat that most of players would love.

• Like 1

May be a bit early to ask about this but idk i just wanted to ask xD

Will ArmA 4 still be writen in SQF?

What year can we expect this to come out for alpha?

What type of style will it be, i liked the ArmA 2 OA style ish

Thats just some questions i want to get out of my head :)

Bohemia's future releases will use the Enfusion engine, which replaces SQF with Enscript.

i love coding in SQF :((

(Reposted a more acceptable thread)

I don't think the current modified version of the Far Cry engine that is being used in Star Citizen has an official name yet but it seems to have all the requirements that a ARMA 4 engine is looking for.

Modified for huge areas (Talking star system size with full transition from planet surface, to space, to planet surface, more than ARMA needs).

Advanced AI system (No doubt not up to ARMA standards but can be worked on)

Incredible animation system (Scale-able facial animations as the finest point).

Awesome light source system (More than one sun is impressive)

Point of source projectile mapping (With true 1st and 3rd person view system).

Multi crewed vehicles etc (With vehicle within vehicle capability (more brilliant than you might think)).

Awesome net code (as yet not seen in its fullest state).

Ability to create a persistent universe (opportunity to run long wars, possibly stretching for months or years).

We haven't even seen what this modified engine can really do yet but it seems like a real contender for a ARMA 4 engine to me (or maybe 5 if Bi is already committed to 4).

So many () i apolagise.

Well, check the engine out and see what you think. I'm not real techy and I'm sure there are many more elements to the engine that have merit.

Is there any information on EnScript? I've seen this screenshot of de-pboed code and thought, if that c++ like code is for real, modders should better learn proper c++ and gain money out of their skills :)

WOTneP9.png

• Like 1

if that c++ like code is for real

That is not C++: there's no  extends  syntax in it. That is not Java also which has that  extends  syntax but does not have destructors. Of course that is not C also (because of classes and inheritance).

It may be some other language, looking a bit like Java and C++, having files named after C (to be more confusing I guess), and usable nowhere else in the Universe except under DayZ hood.

Knowing proper C++ has limited use here.

As the op said this is for fun mate, I for one would like same universe also, it works well for 3 in my opinion. Add in a few of the more popular mods as features, map in someplace cold and snowy, china mountains anyone with dynamic weather?

A lot of people seem to want cold snowy maps, and while I think this could be great, it has to be done well. If we take a map like Takistan-it is so open that i find it really dull to play on. You can see enemies from so far away due to the lack of foliage etc. This is also an issue in many of the snowy  modded maps released for Arma-a flat white ground texture that shows up everything.

What could work is a cold mountainous environment-like China or even the Hindu Kush in Afghanistan-but it will need a lot of rocky crevasses, trees,cliffs, small trails etc etc-no flat white ground.

Maybe if ArmA 4 did some stuff around the China sea? That'd be good to work on Naval stuff that I feel ArmA 3 is missing (I don't mean destroyers or anything, just like LCAC's and patrol boats)

USA/China/Japan/Korea's

Could have some snowy terrains around Japan or China

For me, if they kept the same 2035 feeling, i'd be happy.

If they moved back to A2:OA feeling, i'd be happy.

Modern conflict warfare Russia, Iran, US, Poland (eventually Belarus, Ukraine). All vehicles keeping its real shapes and you got best selling product.

But please, if you gonna place blufor campaign (usa off course) place Opfor too, how many times and games we must play americans......

That is not C++: there's no  extends  syntax in it. That is not Java also which has that  extends  syntax but does not have destructors. Of course that is not C also (because of classes and inheritance).

It may be some other language, looking a bit like Java and C++, having files named after C (to be more confusing I guess), and usable nowhere else in the Universe except under DayZ hood.

Knowing proper C++ has limited use here.

I think this is a OOP language based in C++ ( that is the main language inside Arma 3). I believe that the main goal is reduce the translation time gap that now we have with SQF. EnScript will be a dumb version of the main C++ procedure to reduce the processing script time and incresase the re-usability of the source code.

But the OOP is the name of the SATAN right now for the passionated SQF scripters, find a balance beetween the beloved SQF and the OOP will be a hard goal.

Back on topic...

Enfusion right now too fresh to be an a real alternative to the company right now. Seeking the time of the Dayz release the engine will be finished in a year or maybe two.

A fast calculation (worst scenario):

2 years to finish Enfusion

2 years to finish new assest for the new game of Arma

1 year to finish the main code of the game

I can't see anothe Arma game before 2020.

I think you must buy a good couch and lot of fried potatos ("patatitas") meanwhile.

Arma 4 i wanted to be like from 2000-2018 i like the soldiers uniforms and vehicles from now, the ambient. the story maybe be with the war in Afghanistan including the operation of killing Osama bin Laden or maybe the irak war.

What I want to see in hypothetical Arma 4:

- Physics redefined, for bodies, vehicles, world objects

- Better AI, more human like and able to search buildings by itself. 
- More CPU friendly in order to try to populate even larger areas.
- Destructible terrain
- More fluid unit movement, mostly when you are inside structures

I know some of these features are already pretty well emulated with mods and scripts ... but if they are part of Arma 4 core... oh boy, shut up and take my money!

Continuing the discussion started in the TitanIM topic about large maps in ArmA.

Many people argue against larger maps, pointing out that ArmA is about 50v50 MP or small scale base assaults... well for them it maybe is.

But others might wish to implement large scale mechanized combat and most ArmA maps are not well suited for this.

There are rare places where you can spot an enemy tank at 3-5 KM range and engage it. Either the elevation, foliage or buildings will prohibit it.

The concentrations of Objects is a bit too high on most ArmA maps, which undoubtfully makes them look great and detailed but lowers performance and prohibts some gameplay mechanics.

Moreover it would be great to have a map suitable for aerial operations, where you need lets say 2-3 minutes after take off to reach your target, not just one minute to cross the entire map.

So how about a northern german plains based map with villages, towns, cities and lots of open terrains.

There we would have place for large scale mechanized combat including believable air and artillery support as well as smaller scale infantry/combined ops while promising a realistic scenario (and a wet dream of many cold war wargamers). And please in both summer and winter versions.

• Like 1

1) Continue     (start:dozingoff:)     fixing all the things that need fixing in A3.

2) Expand the object library to include better high quality textured objects for more realistic terrains. Rocks and cliffs are really lame.

3) Expand the A3 library to include wider range of military era paraphernalia.

4) Continue to develop a much more user friendly terrain editor. Users can create terrains based on other parts of the world in A3 as is.

5) Continue to research a multi-core platform if such a thing can be reverse engineered.

No need for A4