Tyl3r99

A quantum leap - Arma 4

No, sorry, I must respectfully disagree. You seem to be thinking strictly from an infantry perspective, while I think Arma should be a combined arms simulator. Vehicles - especially aircraft - need room to manuever, so, provided details aren't sacrificed, the bigger the better as far as map size is concerned. Although Chernarus++ sounds sexy, I find the suggestion of a mid to late 20th century historical setting for A4 the most intriguing. Korea or Vietnam perhaps? More than anything, however, I think we need to see more improvements to the base simulation engine.

I would agree if Arma was a giant PU in which hundreds of players were actively playing. In my experience PvP only tends to happen in small quadrants of a map as too large a battlefield with too few players lends to aimless drifting and disconnects. AI simply get lost in too large of battlefields and I'd prefer to start focusing on better getting the AI too 'understand' the strategic elements of a smaller battle field than building larger and larger maps just to accommodate aircraft.

What about if it were in the 50's? or well whenever the godfather movies took place, so like gangster mode activated and like u can have molotovs and like tommy guns :yay:

that would be aawwsooomeee :D

What about if it were in the 50's? or well whenever the godfather movies took place, so like gangster mode activated and like u can have molotovs and like tommy guns :yay:

that would be aawwsooomeee :D

Lol that was Roaring 20's. The 50's were more Elvis and West Side Story. Though I could see a musical theatre gang game with lots of synchronized dance and snapping battles to catchy showtunes..

Obviously a great setting would be areas with lots of jungle. But this version gets released with x3 campaigns which all tie in to each other online andare CO-OP with up to 10 players together in different Arms, for example.

You decide to play the Land campaign with a few friends because you like the squad based tactics side of the game, but a few of your friends would rather be in the Air campaign to be a pilot, and another couple would prefer to be speed boating up rivers on gunboats taking out enemy convoys and ferrying infantry squads further into the jungle up river etc. All this could be going on while also every campaign has its own objectives to complete which tie in to your friends campaign.

for instance, Infantry Special forces team have completed objective 1, assigned new orders on a different part of the map to take an enemy position, you hitch a ride up river while the gunboat friends are on route to there objective to eliminate any convoys they encounter. infantry squad come under enemy a heavy enemy counter attack, you notify command about the counter attack and they send out an extraction mission to the guys playing the air campaign.

or your pilot friends have been shot down, injured and the land guys have to change there routes to help extract the downed air crew, get them to the nearest river where the gunboat lads will pick up to extract the pilots.

It would be a lot better to have a COOP campaign made this time.

I can keep dreaming though!!!!!!

Since modern warfare reminds to much of video games, video wargames should avoid modern warfare.

Since modern warfare reminds to much of video games, video wargames should avoid modern warfare.

I'd suggest a Hussite War simulator, but Kingdom Come's covering that period of warfare already. The obvious choice now (and one that the gaming world is sorely missing) is an 18th century warfare simulator.

I picture ArmA 4 like this:

- made after ArmA 3, released c.a. 2016/2017 (no major expansions for ArmA 3, only smaller DLCs and focus on ArmA 4)

- new version of RV engine, allowing for even larger terrains, more interactive/destructible stuff, higher altitudes, simulation of fluids and wind, advanced physics model in general, improved A.I. suitable for close quarters and jungle combat and driving of vehicles ( ;) ), better utilization of multi-threading and modern day GPUs

- Pacific/South East Asian setting, lots of tropical islands, beaches, palms, exotic vegetation, dense jungles, wild life, civilians, cities (one of them a big, modern one), traffic, better civilian life simulation in general (cars, choppers, planes, boats, trucks, bikes, cops, fireworkers, criminals, ect.)

- more emphasis on naval warfare, the water element to come to bigger expression

- continuation of the futuristic yet believable setting, a conflict revolving around a near future expansionist/defensive battle between the involved fractions (e.g. NATO, PLA, Rebel Army, Civilians, Terror Militia), more creative freedom

- improved 3D editor and basic editing tools available to public, more options, more features, more possibilities

Something along those lines. :)

Paged terrain a la VBS3:

rhUOvbSVCOU

I picture ArmA 4 like this:

- made after ArmA 3, released c.a. 2016/2017 (no major expansions for ArmA 3, only smaller DLCs and focus on ArmA 4)

BI announced last year a major expansion for Arma 3, that is gonna be released this year ( 2015 ).

Forget Arma4 bis needs to fix all the bugs, optimize the current engine, add more features as in codes and commands, add more gameplay features

like deployable bipods without having to buy another dlc. moving on to another game when the previous is still "broke" will only add more threads here of folks saying im not your customer, or complaining about performance with "I think Bis needs a new engine thread" :j:

Upgrade the AI so that the modders dont have to do it, add more animations so that when i want to get into a car I actually open the door

and close it, same for getting out, also actually add a pistol in the pistol less holster that every character seems to have, theres tons of stuff that can be done,

why BIS needs to be like EA and cough up another game for you guys ever other year, shit OFP was going strong for 5-6 years before Arma1 came around.

Also give the modders what they want and or need in order to optimize and fix their own mods into complete stable states and dont have to write something off

as engine issues that they cant get around. lots of stuff to do with what we have, we dont know what the utmost potential of what we have is.

An expansion as noted in the previous post would be good but expansion of what?

Forget Arma4 bis needs to fix all the bugs, optimize the current engine, add more features as in codes and commands, add more gameplay features

like deployable bipods without having to buy another dlc. moving on to another game when the previous is still "broke" will only add more threads here of folks saying im not your customer, or complaining about performance with "I think Bis needs a new engine thread" :j:

Upgrade the AI so that the modders dont have to do it, add more animations so that when i want to get into a car I actually open the door

and close it, same for getting out, also actually add a pistol in the pistol less holster that every character seems to have, theres tons of stuff that can be done,

why BIS needs to be like EA and cough up another game for you guys ever other year, shit OFP was going strong for 5-6 years before Arma1 came around.

Also give the modders what they want and or need in order to optimize and fix their own mods into complete stable states and dont have to write something off

as engine issues that they cant get around. lots of stuff to do with what we have, we dont know what the utmost potential of what we have is.

An expansion as noted in the previous post would be good but expansion of what?

You can only hold people's attention so long with bug fixes. At some point, no matter how refined you make the game, it's still going to be old. Stuff like door animations and holsters may interest you, but it's not going to get most people back playing if they've grown bored.

That's where the expansion hopefully comes into play. There has to be some new, major content added in the next year or so. OFP had Resistance and Red Hammer to keep people going over the years. It was also so unique for it's time.

BI announced last year a major expansion for Arma 3, that is gonna be released this year ( 2015 ).

Looks like I missed that part. Shows that I'm not really 'following' anymore... ;)

But if they realize similar or comparable things to which I mentioned in that expansion than all the better. :)

Modern Graphics.

That's what every other mainstream shooter today is all about, don't you think? :p

I think the 'hardcore' ArmA players would rather see more in-depth simulation models, realism and better peformance to just fancier graphics. Graphics were never the main selling point of this franchise, imo.

I hope either they return to contemporary times, or do a game in between Arma 2/Arma 3, or after. I love the future setting!

Or maybe a Cold War gone hot but in Berlin, NATO vs PACT. :D

• Like 1

Modern Graphics.

Players want modern graphics, and then go to complain that the game is not optimized enough for their computer to display maximum viewdistance on high setting

Players want modern graphics, and then go to complain that the game is not optimized enough for their computer to display maximum viewdistance on high setting

That's because a good developer would also make stunning advances in the fields of affordable GPU and CPU technology, not to mention data compression methods. Of course, I don't think BIS is capable of doing something that simple.

• Like 1

Here's a tip for the Executive:

Scrap the ARMA engine, actually spend some time creating a game engine that allows for high population servers without the server strain. As well a creating an engine that requires 64bit quad core cpu's from the start, and start utilising the GPU more.

This is never going to happen, because ARMA is the puppet of VBS's studio BI Simulations. Whatever VBS releases, we are always 1-2 games behind.

So you want to know what features are going to be in ARMA 4? just look at the latest VBS, but also minus some features, because they wont give you the lot.

Here's a tip for the Executive:

Scrap the ARMA engine, actually spend some time creating a game engine that allows for high population servers without the server strain. As well a creating an engine that requires 64bit quad core cpu's from the start, and start utilising the GPU more.

This is never going to happen, because ARMA is the puppet of VBS's studio BI Simulations. Whatever VBS releases, we are always 1-2 games behind.

So you want to know what features are going to be in ARMA 4? just look at the latest VBS, but also minus some features, because they wont give you the lot.

The ignorance in this post of yours is mindboggling....

The ignorance in this post of yours is mindboggling....

Actually he has a point. If BI could just try reallly,really hard to squeeze all of VBS goodies into tiny little Arma's digital box for $50, well I'd think we have a winner.

+1 for Bohemia is Puppet Regime!

how many times does this need to be said - VBS is NOT a BI product anymore. Bohemia Simulation has been bought by an (irc) investment group back in 2012 or 2013 (you can search for that).

there are a lot of "i want *insert vbs feature* here" comments. Some of those "features" have little to no place in a video game (and no matter what you are telling yourself), this is still a game.

the ignorace is related to 64bit binary in relation to a quad CPU (no relation whatsoever, 64bit binary would only allow the software to use more ram, it has nothing to do with multithreading), as well as with BI holding back certain features because of VBS....

Currently for me, A2/OA and all dlc's with the full AI conversion mod I use (sig), is my ideal game. A3 isn't really that important to me. We were pretty well spoilt with the previous title (A2) and its expansion, plus the dlc's. They provided us with a great mil/sim style game.

Some great content makers made some really high quality terrains and assets for A2, so we have more than enough of everything really.

However, I would like to see the engine upgraded in some way later. beyond the flashy parts. Not bothered about VBS, because as stated more than a few times in the forum here, VBS is not a game, its a training tool. Would I like to see some of the features that VBS has, not really. I would just like to see the engine handle much more AI whilst keeping them sensible, without having to use cache. But that isn't a problem now either, so...

Overall, I'm not really that bothered now if A4 comes along, or not. I'm just glad they left us with the previous title and I get to play with the conversion mod that I use. Other than that, its just not important, for me, anymore. Not against it by any means, progression is good, provided its the right type. I just don't care as much now either way.

Currently for me, A2/OA and all dlc's with the full AI conversion mod I use (sig), is my ideal game. A3 isn't really that important to me. We were pretty well spoilt with the previous title (A2) and its expansion, plus the dlc's. They provided us with a great mil/sim style game.

Some great content makers made some really high quality terrains and assets for A2, so we have more than enough of everything really.

Which apparently is why Bohemia's internal lessons-learned about Arma 2 is "do not do this anymore". :p

I think ArmA 3 could be the last 'traditional' ArmA game as we know it. I think the series could evolve into a more massive sandbox simulation game that will simply provide the tools to the player to make his own type of gameplay and scenarios. So the game could be played as either a dead-on realistic military simulation or something else entirely, be it life simulation or space exploration theme. But this is just my vision. :p

• Like 1