Tyl3r99

A quantum leap - Arma 4

Looking at those pictures after seeing some E3 footage shows you how far we came :p

Arma4 will most likely have achievements, rank/level/skill-ups by increasing killstats etc eventually hardcoded. Of course if you don't like to spend too much time with training your new A4 MMO char - you can buy all the things in the ingame store - available for a little service fee & subsription payment (minimum time of subscription is six month). Of course you will need a permanent 24/7 online connection be it for mp, sp or just doing stuff in the editor. If you critise A4 or dare to oppose fanboys your account and game access will be deleted without further investigation/approval by moderators (recognizable by their brown noses). But maybe A4 will turn out different because BIS didn't disappear into one of the big majors companies/publishers dungeons. Maybe BIS will go + find their own way without making Armaverse more arcady and appealing to the casual crowd.... maybe something different, unique and perhaps Bohème??

just about the games from Korean War, http://www.koreaforgottenconflict.com/ was made by former Czech studio Plastic Reality

unfortunately the studio and assets went under ...

also the link to 1C as publisher and the look & feel of the engine reminds me on possibility of it being fork from Soldiers: Heroes of WW2

the game went unnoticed because of simultaneous release with Commandos 3 (while being in same genre) and due to bugs (but as game it was good)

But if they will make Arma in Vietnam, it needs to be as realistic as possible(armor, physics etc.), so it will be the ultimate experience. Omg, then it would be soo epic.

Vietnam era is interesting but not another "Vietcong" game. Setting should be rather fictional and more about conventional combined warfare...that's what RV engien is best in.

Thanks Dwarden. It's just we have notable games like Vietcong: Purple Haze and Battlefield Vietnam, and most of the Korean War era stuff has went under. A shame, I would have a lot of fun frantically defending the Pusan Perimeter against T-34s with M9 bazookas and 57mm AT guns.

Why the sudden bad blood for the last months?

Vietnam? Jungles\vegetation, rivers, trenches\underground, all things that RV are good at; The cherry on the top is the AI dealing with all that.

I would go with Cold Era, 80's-90's stuff => Cool tech, yet no so modern.

But what cares most is the engine behind it, the excuses of "it's a large world", "AI have to deal with that", "...thats because 1st person animations must be the same as 3rd" and all that are getting old already.

To me, a setting sometime between the 50s and 80s seems ideal for an infantry game (having no real knowledge about these things mind you):

- Plausible opposing super powers

- Fewer scoped rifles means infantry engagement ranges were lower

- Less precise munitions and worse communications tech, support like artillery was less timely, less effective and less precise

- No GPS, navigation is a challenge again

- Worse satellite technology and no UAVs means its slightly more plausible to find opposing forces (with vehicles) sharing a small island

- Worse night/thermal technology, so detection was less likely and occurs at closer ranges, meaning closer engagements and greater opportunity for stealth

- Primitive missiles means aircraft/vehicles had to be engaged by other vehicles, or by infantry at close range

- Helicopters exist

Basically engagement ranges were closer, combat was less about detecting the bad guys before they detect you, while still having some technology to add some variety that is lacking in WW2 setting

• Like 1

To me, a setting sometime between the 50s and 80s seems ideal for an infantry game (having no real knowledge about these things mind you):

- Plausible opposing super powers

- Fewer scoped rifles means infantry engagement ranges were lower

- Less precise munitions and worse communications tech, support like artillery was less timely, less effective and less precise

- No GPS, navigation is a challenge again

- Worse satellite technology and no UAVs means its slightly more plausible to find opposing forces (with vehicles) sharing a small island

- Worse night/thermal technology, so detection was less likely and occurs at closer ranges, meaning closer engagements and greater opportunity for stealth

- Primitive missiles means aircraft/vehicles had to be engaged by other vehicles, or by infantry at close range

- Helicopters exist

Basically engagement ranges were closer, combat was less about detecting the bad guys before they detect you, while still having some technology to add some variety that is lacking in WW2 setting

WW2 had more "high tech" than itn is know to most people, Assault rifles with night vision scopes and night vision in general (active IR) was used already as well as the first guided ammunitions. Most of that highly advanced german post 1944 stuff (not prototype anymore but in use) just got availabe in americanized versions for the US in the Korean war. Before the 1980s there was no Thermal Imaging at all in use. And artillery is pretty much the same, it was neither slower nor less precise then today...but artillry observers where mandatory and needed a large radio.

Edited by Beagle

Nam please.

THIS ^^ absolutely this.

VIETNAM! I love the Vietnam era. I haven't found many good Vietnam games, only Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Battlefield Vietnam.

You never played vietcong? ohh you really missed out there.

Just the intro takes me right back:

WW2 is "done" in games - especially all popular battles. Gamedevs can only find some less popular but also important battles and try to convince people about the setting. Wars and battles were US didn't loose or withdraw a kinda difficult to sell to the bigger audience - except if players can win them and change history. Jungle warfare sounds nice but from WW2/'Nam reports it was hell - are BIS gamedevs able to get the temperature + high humididty into A4 without getting it too much look like overdone camera/filter-sfx? How many people will cry + moan that they can't see the enemy through the foliage of the jungle? How many will accuse others (incl. AI) of cheating?? How performance-friendly is a awesome looking jungle environment and how much can one put in before its stutter/lag?

If World War II, they could always try the Winter War. Or Japan invading China and Manchuria. Or the Battle of Khalkin Gol (Japan vs. Russia!). There's no shortage of major battles that were forgotten. The only 2 games I know of doing the Winter War are mods for BF2 (Forgotten Hope) and Red Orchestra (Karelia Front).

I would like to see more players in Arma 4, for example planetside 2 currently has 2000 players per server, if they could reach that even on a quarter of the scale they would be in big bucks and would also support their future endeavours in MMO gaming such as DayZ.

I wonder what proportion of the Planetside 2 players have actually paid a single dime.

The only 2 games I know of doing the Winter War are mods for BF2 (Forgotten Hope) and Red Orchestra (Karelia Front).

That should probably read "The only 2 other games" because Finmod released WW2 era addons and missions for OFP as well.

Finmod for OFP 1.4

Check it out, it is excellent stuff.

Regards,

Sander

ArmA4 - since BIS is moving towards more and more fiction it would be interesting if the scenario was "what if USSR didn't break apart in 1991 and remained until today" - that way we can have a worthy OFP successor while also having all the engine advancements in relation to modern weapons playing their part.

Alternative history instead of parallel history.

After all if BIS can resurrect Comanche - they can resurrect USSR.

right community... what does everyone think arma 4 should be about... civil war? ww2? ww1? space?

I'ld love a come back to the late 80's, early 90's technologies. Maybe set in the Horn of Africa with Rangers, the Delta Force, the French Foreign Legion and Naval Commandos fighting as BLUFOR against various Muslim factions as OPFOR, and the UN as Independant obviously.

Not too fond of the current futuristic setting; actually even the early 21st century warfare featured in ArmaIII was getting too sophisticated for my taste.

I have a feeling WW2 will always be covered by modders. As to melee combat and muskets there are games that are by nature much better fit like the TotalWar and Mount&Blade franchises. WW1 would require underground stuctures and ground deformation to be really interesting; and Arma in space wouldn't be Arma anymore.

Edited by dunedain

ArmA4 - since BIS is moving towards more and more fiction it would be interesting if the scenario was "what if USSR didn't break apart in 1991 and remained until today" - that way we can have a worthy OFP successor while also having all the engine advancements in relation to modern weapons playing their part.

Alternative history instead of parallel history.

After all if BIS can resurrect Comanche - they can resurrect USSR.

I think that would actually be quite interesting!

As to melee combat and muskets there are games that are by nature much better fit like the TotalWar and Mount&Blade franchises.

But they cannot be compared in any way with what ArmA has to offer. So that's not a good argument IMHO.

The late 1950's and early 1960's would be a novel setting for a military themed game. There would be an opportunity to mix the WW2 surplus gear with more modern kit and there is a wide variety of conflicts to recreate or base a fictional scenario on. With decolonisation wars fought all over almost any terrain that suits the fancy can be picked as a setting.

Regards,

Sander

• Like 1

But they cannot be compared in any way with what ArmA has to offer. So that's not a good argument IMHO.

Nah of course, but I think they are the perfect kind of games for that kind of time periods though. My opinion is that you'ld miss most of what ArmA has to offer by limiting yourself to melee combat and weapons whose effectiveness drops after only a few dozen meters. Although it's always refreshing to see working melee, muskets and bows through modding, I don't think an Arma game focused on that kind of gameplay could be great.

Edited by dunedain

Nah of course, but I think they are the perfect kind of games for that kind of time periods though. My opinion is that you'ld miss most of what ArmA has to offer by limiting yourself to melee combat and weapons whose effectiveness drops after only a few dozen meters. Although it's always refreshing to see working melee, muskets and bows through modding, I don't think an Arma game focused on that kind of gameplay could be great.

I would love a Warband in Arma's scale -could you imagine leading a contigent of Knights on a days ride to defend a castle in trouble :)

Epic, huge battles over a massive landscape including catapults, burning oil, civilian revolts and massacres, bandits in the woods, craftmaking....I'm sold! Whens it coming out!?

I would love a Warband in Arma's scale -could you imagine leading a contigent of Knights on a days ride to defend a castle in trouble :)

Epic, huge battles over a massive landscape including catapults, burning oil, civilian revolts and massacres, bandits in the woods, craftmaking....I'm sold! Whens it coming out!?

Oh yes, ArmA environnement and gameplay with MBW melee system, that would be a must.

Hello there

I think a Vietnam game is a bit too "obvious", don't get me wrong, I'd buy it, but Id rather see something less well known.

Boer war anyone? Zulus/Boers/Brits?

Failing that a Western (1800's) theme would be very interesting.

Like many I would also like the 50's-'80's setting there's plenty of hotspots to choose from in that era.

Rgds

LoK