thedog88

keeping water out

hey guys, im working on a underwater lab that can only be reached by diving to it. right now you can dive into it no problem and swim inside of it, however i was curious if it is possible to keep the water out from the interior so that the player could walk into it? i saw there was a code or something to keep water out of boats interiors but i cant find that thread anymore... any help on either finding it or does anybody know a way i could do this (if even possible.)

It's possible they have a code now to keep water out of boats, but the technique I've seen used is basically just an optical illusion. That's a weird statement because everything in the game is an illusion but you know what I mean.

effin sweet! do you know that code by chance? i really hope i can pull it off since it would give the diving spectrum more purpose.

This is actually very cool, but I'm wondering if you, Thedog88, are planning on implementing a diving lockout chamber for such a facility?

Admittedly, one thing I'm wondering is whether the vanilla (BI-produced, unmodified) SDV will support watertightness for a SDV whose hatches are not opened underwater but rather closed while on the surface before diving...

Keeping water out of boats is an optical illusion. In ArmA2 its simply a "cover" / faces that are textured in "ca\water\data\antiwater_ca.paa"

This simply "deletes" water under it when viewed from one direction. But it only works because you are OUTSIDE the water as a viewer.

For a underwater building where you might be able to look through 2 window to the water on the OTHER side of the building, this will delete ALL water on the other side as well.

Plus when you inside the building, you'll still see water, because you're technically still in the water.

I'm pretty sure it does not remove the water effects on players. You'll be floating inside your building.

...... unless the ArmA3 engine is different.

Chortles, right now my model is going of the same concept as the noaa aquarium underwater lab. It has a room that is pressurized to match ocean density. It traps the air inside the facility and allows for direct acces into the water. So you literally walk into the facility via steps from underneath it. Right now its very basic but after seeing how awesome it is to swim around in that thing (especially at night, throwing chem lights into the dark rooms, just wow) i decided to make it more complex and detailed.

Gnat, thanks for the info, i figured as much :( i hope they add something into the engine that allows for it. I mean even swimming around in the lab is really cool, just makes room clearing a bit difficult lol.

Gnat;2411829']Keeping water out of boats is an optical illusion. In ArmA2 its simply a "cover" / faces that are textured in "ca\water\data\antiwater_ca.paa"

This simply "deletes" water

To be more accurate' date=' the alpha plane influences the draw order so it draws the surface of the water before the boat. The water is drawn first, and then the boat is drawn over top of that.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

effin sweet! do you know that code by chance? i really hope i can pull it off since it would give the diving spectrum more purpose.

The point of my post was that I'm skeptical that there is one, but VBS2 has some underwater stuff.

What you could do is write a script so when you enter the underwater area, you are teleported to a duplicate structure that's partially out of the water.

so similar to instancing then? ill think about it. at this point im considering making something similar to metal gear solid 2's "big shell", which is above water but with access from bellow. i'm pretty much looking for ways to bring the ocean combat to life a bit more. i really wish that aspect of vbs2 would be brought forward to a3 considering the technology is there, why not use it? i really appreciate your input and i will think about the instanced way of doing it. the only issue i see there would be the extra fuss it would cause mission makers so at that point a fully submersed interior or a above water structure would simply make more sense. just gonna repeat myself on how much i love this community for its support though. thanks guys.

so similar to instancing then? ill think about it. at this point im considering making something similar to metal gear solid 2's "big shell", which is above water but with access from bellow. i'm pretty much looking for ways to bring the ocean combat to life a bit more. i really wish that aspect of vbs2 would be brought forward to a3 considering the technology is there, why not use it? i really appreciate your input and i will think about the instanced way of doing it. the only issue i see there would be the extra fuss it would cause mission makers so at that point a fully submersed interior or a above water structure would simply make more sense. just gonna repeat myself on how much i love this community for its support though. thanks guys.

I'm not sure it's strictly instancing, for instance if you destroyed something or moved something in one base it would not move in the other. Since they would not be close to each other and rendered at the same time I'm not even sure they would take advantage of geometry instancing. And, I suppose, the underwater base would not really need to have an interior and the out of water base would no need to have an exterior. This is more or less just more illusions stuff, but it's common to do stuff like this in games. Like, you're playing an FPS and you're going around a C shaped corridor. You think you're walking through a contiguous corridor but in actuality the C shaped passageway is a place for the game to swap environments because you can't see where you've been or where you're going at the same time.

yeah i've seen that done before but i think im going to leave what i have now and shift my idea towards the above sea level platform with multiple access points from sea level or bellow. probably 1 boat dock, 1 hidden (interior) ladder and a diving dock, see how it goes i suppose :) thanks for the input max, love hugs and kisses

To be more accurate, the alpha plane influences the draw order so it draws the surface of the water before the boat. The water is drawn first, and then the boat is drawn over top of that.

Like I said, "deletes".

@Thedog88

VBS2 has "underground" technology (you can create bunkers within normal landscape), but I'm not sure if that extends below sea level. *Cross finder* for any of that technology comes to ArmA3

Like the sound of your alternate plan but.

Good luck.

It doesn't delete it, gnat. It draws overtop of it. It still draws it. There is no deletion involved. You can believe that is 'deletion' if that makes you feel better but that's not descriptive of what is actually going on.

Jeez MP, you're a dog with a bone.

I've already said nothing I've found actually removes water, and putting the word delete inside of " " (quotes) means equivalent-to ffs.

Yes, I know the water is there, same as the seabed is still there, but you can't see it ........

I have no idea if this has anything to do with it and I'm currently at work so I can't read the entire thread but in the second latest dev branch changelog there was this:

FIX: Disabled water camera effect for water-resistant vehicles, added new parameter waterPPInVehicle

Gnat;2413948']Jeez MP' date=' you're a dog with a bone.

I've already said nothing I've found actually removes water, and putting the word delete inside of " " (quotes) means equivalent-to ffs.

Yes, I know the water is there, same as the seabed is still there, but you can't see it ........[/quote']

The seabed you can't see is probably culled, so no, it's not still there. This is the point of what I'm saying. Under normal circumstances, things you can't see aren't there, like things that vanish into distance fog, or things that are occluded by solid objects- Even things outside of your view frustrum. But, alpha polygons, you only affect the draw order, not what's drawn. This is the reason BI had to do significant research into overdraw for their forests. Under normal circumstances, if you have 100 trees in a row line, and you can only see one plus some bits of the others through the gaps in the leaves, there are some screen pixels that are being hit 100 times each frame, most of which is drawing stuff you can't even see.

So, I hope you can understand what I'm saying. If you can't see the seabed, it's probably 'not there'. But saying the alpha plane 'deletes' the surface of the water is like saying when you place a piece of paper on your desk, then put a book on top of it, the piece of paper is 'deleted'.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

well, like said i shifted my idea to an ASL rig. here is an early wip. textures need some work and im barely getting started with the model. http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2149/2013061300003.jpg (265 kB)

Looks like a good start! You should start a project thread in A&M: Discussion.

you could always take the cheap route and call it a "flooded underwater base" :) but since water is more an occurrence (starts at 0m and goes infinitely from there), than an actual object it might be hard to do. as mentioned above. theres a setting in vehicles that is disableppeffectsinvehicle or something of the sort, that makes it look like your not under water, for subs and stuff. but that works off checking if the player is in the vehicle.

while youre in a building, according to the game engine youre not technically "in" the building I dont think, so theres nothing it can really do to tell where you are. I havent done bulding editing, but its possible that if you find the mechanics (be they scripts or otherwise) that tells the character when there is water and where theyres not, then you might be able to figure out what to do from there. unfortuantely Six Browser is down at time of writing so I cant figure out through my normal way what the options are. ill get back to you though!

as a fellow attempter of the impossible, I wish you luck. this would be quite the experience.

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

heres what I found. no idea what it has the potential to do in this specific instance, but it could be usable!

hiddenunderwaterselections[] = {};
hiddenunderwaterselectionstextures[] = {};
       maxfordingdepth = 1;
shownunderwaterselections[] = {};
waterangulardampingcoef = 10;
waterdamageengine = 0.2;
waterleakiness = 0.5;
waterlineardampingcoefx = 0;
waterlineardampingcoefy = 0;
waterresistance = 10;
waterresistancecoef = 0.5;

On 7/8/2013 at 9:22 PM, j0nes said:

you could always take the cheap route and call it a "flooded underwater base" 🙂 but since water is more an occurrence (starts at 0m and goes infinitely from there), than an actual object it might be hard to do. as mentioned above. theres a setting in vehicles that is disableppeffectsinvehicle or something of the sort, that makes it look like your not under water, for subs and stuff. but that works off checking if the player is in the vehicle.

while youre in a building, according to the game engine youre not technically "in" the building I dont think, so theres nothing it can really do to tell where you are. I havent done bulding editing, but its possible that if you find the mechanics (be they scripts or otherwise) that tells the character when there is water and where theyres not, then you might be able to figure out what to do from there. unfortuantely Six Browser is down at time of writing so I cant figure out through my normal way what the options are. ill get back to you though!

as a fellow attempter of the impossible, I wish you luck. this would be quite the experience.

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

heres what I found. no idea what it has the potential to do in this specific instance, but it could be usable!

hiddenunderwaterselections[] = {};
hiddenunderwaterselectionstextures[] = {};
       maxfordingdepth = 1;
shownunderwaterselections[] = {};
waterangulardampingcoef = 10;
waterdamageengine = 0.2;
waterleakiness = 0.5;
waterlineardampingcoefx = 0;
waterlineardampingcoefy = 0;
waterresistance = 10;
waterresistancecoef = 0.5;

What does this apply to?