IanSky

Colt scope mod - Made by myself (Want to help out?)

Hi guys,

I've been wracking my brains out over how to get on this forum. So many login attempts 0.o

Anyway, I'm here now and I'd like to share the beginning of a small project I'd like to include in A2/A3.

My aim is to create 2-5 various scopes and include them in a mod pack for download, I've only currently started on the first one, however more will come depending on the interest.

So here's a beauty shot of the first scope I've modelled. It's a 4x20 Colt scope.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7741113/Back_Scope.png (185 kB)

I've made extensive optimizations to the mesh to minimize performance issues, however here is the current unwrap I did earlier...

http://puu.sh/3c4e7.jpg (276 kB)

Yes, there's a little warping on the unpack, however it shouldn't be an issue.

I know it's not much, but what the hell :yay:

Now, here's where you guys come in...

1) I need someone familiar with the game to import the textured model - Anyone out there fancy helping out?

2) In your post, put (4) different scopes you'd like to see in the game and I'll see about making the most popular ones!

Phew... Finally posted :o

Edited by IanSky

Very nice scope :)

also dont forget to make a "tunnel" inside of it ,because of new 3D scope view

and about the optics - newest gen of Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x with docter (maybe the 1.5-6x variant too) , Trijicon Acog TA31F/RCO with RMR (with killFLASH too) , Aimpoint PRO , Aimpoint Micro T-1 with LaRue Tactical LT660 Tall Mount

Edited by RobertHammer

Very nice work!

I'd like to see the SpecterDR 1-4x with a Docter on top :) You would be the first one modeling the Specter for Arma. (Haven't seen it it in any other mod of any Game at all)

Nice selection of scopes there, I'll have a look around for some references and stuff.

Still calling out for someone to import the model into the game though... I'm happy to merge with another mod if it makes people more inclined to help.

In the meantime I'll get to work... :P

Well if you make those suggested optics then i can import them and add them in RH M4/M16 :)

and if you want references - just PM me what you need ;)

Edited by RobertHammer

Awesome! Sounds like a plan. What file format do you need it in? I'll export as .obj + textures spec/diff/norm by default.

Nice model

Are you planning a version of the colt scope with some sort of picatinny rail mount as well? I suppose we need a nice M16A1/A2 model in Arma 3 first, in order to use that carry-handle clamp, so a version with a NATO-standard mount might leave it open to be used by more weapons, like the default Arma 3 attachments are using.

I'm sure you'll be able to find loads of people here willing to help get new models like the ones you're planning, ingame with the benefit of our experience modding Arma 3 and previous titles. If in doubt, you can always post in the Modelling/O2 Forum for pointers and explanations of how we configure models for the game, set up LODs etc. etc.

Regarding the public "vote" for projects, I wouldn't mind seeing one of these ingame:

Trijicon-TA648RMR-308-2.jpg

ACOG TA648RMR

In the multitudes of ACOG, Aimpoint, Eotech and various sniper scopes variants people have made or imported (with permission) for Arma games over the years, we don't get that many modern scopes made for 7.62mm weapons. Would be nice to have one for MGs and DMRs.

My sig might indicate some sort of bias! :D I did attempt to make one of those scopes myself once, back in the day - it just turned out a bit crap and I never finished it.

Other things that might be cool:

1.5x-6x Elcan Specter DR

AN/PVS-17

Qioptiq Dragon C

Always best to make whatever the hell it is you want to make first though ;)

Edited by da12thMonkey

Awesome! Sounds like a plan. What file format do you need it in? I'll export as .obj + textures spec/diff/norm by default.

Nice and yes those formats are ok (textures .TGA) ;)

Good looking model mate, if you still need a hand importing let me know. Keen to share my optics in a pack too if you want to take that road let me know also.

Regarding the public "vote" for projects, I wouldn't mind seeing one of these ingame:

http://www.militarywarfighter.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Trijicon-TA648RMR-308-2.jpg

ACOG TA648RMR

You mean one of these ;) I still need to add a RMR sight on top and has that exact sight picture

bu9egu3y.jpg

Tonnie

You mean one of these ;) I still need to add a RMR sight on top and has that exact sight picture

Beaut!

Doubt these will be too much help, but they might show some less common perspectives on the RMR and mount (took them yesterday):

I like the idea of taking a scope from 4 various brands, so from what you guys have said, how about:

Aimpoint Micro T-1 Tall Mount

SUSAT British Scope

Elcan SpecterDR

ACOG TA648RMR

And as a possible scope further down the line (Not promised), then perhaps the Aimpoint PRO? So that would mean a total of 5 different scopes from 5 different companies to get the variation going. :)

Sound good?

P.s. Now, with the introduction of the 3D scopes, does the reticle need to be textured into the scope lens or is it done as a separate UI element?

Good list :)

to your question - No , it is a separate reticle texture /almost same as red dot optics do now but instead of dot there will be a reticle texture/

Edited by RobertHammer

Due to the relatively popular Picatinny rail in use on the majority of most weapons, I'm going to rework the rail attachments and thus I'm going to start over. This is so I can make sure that there is maximum compatibility with the widest variety of guns. I want to make sure that this mod is of the highest quality and as such I'll only release it once I'm satisfied with it's status. I'll aim to complete one scope per 2 weeks and I'll release the first batch of scopes upon completing the first 2 scopes and thereafter. Obviously I have personal circumstances however I'll work to ensure regular updates.

As far as importing, I hope RobertHammer is happy with working in partnership.

All the best and I look forward to the near future release!

Will they be 3D Scopes? Good work so far!

Will they be 3D Scopes? Good work so far!

If you mean like BIS beta scopes then yes

I would be willing to give you a hand with what i can. I can sort of model things. I have these two optics below if you need references. I would love to use my real life optics in the game! I think it would also be great to have the Vortex Razor HDII 1-6

Aimpoint Micro T-1

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-5-20x50-riflescope-with-ebr-2b-mrad-reticle/reticle

If you mean like BIS beta scopes then yes

And if someone finds a way to create real 3d scopes and not zoomable eyes/googles, will they be updated? Anyway, they'll still rock. Keep it up!

And if someone finds a way to create real 3d scopes and not zoomable eyes/googles, will they be updated? Anyway, they'll still rock. Keep it up!

This has been discussed to death. If you want background info on it, just search the forum.

This has been discussed to death. If you want background info on it, just search the forum.

I know it, I know the thread and I saw the PIP Scope Screens. However, it's in the modders choice to do it, so I'm asking.