Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

[SP] Don't Kill Josef! A high quality sniper mission.

Today I present to you Don't Kill Josef!

josef.jpg

This is Josef. Don't kill him.

Description:

This is an exciting, interesting, fun yet fairly simple mission that I had a great time putting together. You will find it of fairly high quality in that it utilises a lot of the features that BIS devs use, so that it appears the most like a proper BIS mission.

Situation:

A four man patrol has been stalking Agia Marina and harrassing the locals. The locals are all holed up in their houses while the patrol circles the town. It just so turns out that one of our informants, Josef, is a member of the patrol - his last report says now is a good time to strike as the enemy may be preparing the civilians for execution as the enemy military move in to set up a base. Knock out the patrol (spare Josef) and then destroy the lighthouse at the end of the pier which the enemy have been using to communicate with HQ.

Features:

• Play as a lone wolf high calibre sniper
  • Recon with your rangefinder to find the patrol in a dense village (press NUM +/- to zoom the rangefinder and don't forget to zero your rifle)
  • ID your targets - Don't Kill Josef (our informant)
  • Once you knock out the patrol, Josef will break cover and join you for the rest of the mission. Kill Josef and you might be in trouble, or even worse if he finds you before you kill the rest of the patrol Josef might have to kill you.
  • Proper BIS Style Briefing, Tasks, Endings
  • Multiple Endings, if you can't finish all the objectives just proceed to the Extract and it will account for this.

Upcoming Features:

• Tweaking difficulty - you give feedback
  • Josef isn't named Josef in-game. I can name him using cfgIdentities but that will change his face and I like his current face as pictured above. Any suggestions on how to do this please let me know!

Update v1.6 108/10/2013

• Fixed: BIS are still changing classnames it seems even post-release, which has caused error messages for players and the enemy to walk around in their underwear! Updated the mission to include a large number of the new guerilla uniforms on the enemies to give variety (and keep them warm!).
  • Fixed: BIS still bloody tweaking static object IDs which screwed up the lighthouse task. Now fixed.

Update v1.5 15/08/2013

• Fixed: Now BETA compatible, again (following changes to classnames and IDs by BIS)

Update v1.4 23/06/2013

• Fixed: Now BETA compatible.

Update v1.3 15/06/2013

• Fixed reinforcements script - you will no longer have to be positively ID'd for OPFOR to call in reinforcements - so be careful with that first bullet you let fly!
  • Additional, challenging optional task for completionists
  • AI patrol waypoints should now be more difficult to predict and more difficult to place yourself in a good sniping position
  • Extract via boat if you so desire
  • Overall more challenging and complex... I don't believe I will be doing any more updates as this is more or less in final state. Play away!

Update v1.2a 14/06/2013 alpha update as still tweaking and testing reinforcements script

• Added boat at extraction point
  • Added mission overview text and picture

Update v1.1a 13/06/2013 alpha branded update as I haven't had time to extensively test.

• Increased difficulty
  • Reinforcements script (if detected)
  • Counter-snipers
  • Ambient nervous civilians and pick-up trucks in town

Now on Steam

Edited by sproyd

Just played it, mission accomplished with the best ending.

Was easy, but good. Could use my Bullet-Wind-Interaction-System to add a bit more challenge ;)

Gotta agree mate, its a good idea but its a little too easy, maybe you have to infiltrate the area first rather than just being placed there, or have a second objective after the lighthouse? Good first release though

I thought that might be the case but I didn't know whether it was just easy because I knew the patrol route. I'll implement a reinforcement script from the air base once detected which will put pressure on the sniper to hurry. Good to hear there are no bugs to report though on this release.

Edited by sproyd

Its not really about the patrol route, you basically have to kill 3 guys with a 1 hit kill sniper rifle. If you're struggling with that then you got other problems than the mission. That said I know the way the script works, as soon as they are all dead he joins your side, so if there were more people in town he'd get immediatly shredded. It might also be nice adding some ambient civilians to the target area.

the mission could be a bit harder, but overall its a fun short mission :)

maybe add some ai behind the hill or a sniper+spotter on one of the other hills :)

captured my first go at it: http://www.twitch.tv/joschaap/b/415073606

(be aware i got a ups at the door halfway so theres a 7/8 minute break in it :P

my rifle had no scope.... is that correct? Im using the non-dev version.

my rifle had no scope.... is that correct? Im using the non-dev version.

The problem is on your end - I'll wager you are using mods. Turn off all of your mods - they break the sniper pack.

Here is a couple of ideas a have to make it harder...

• Random patrols.
  • Random spawn.
  • An extra group of EI that will execute some civilians. The AI will wait 3-5 minutes (from mission start) and then kill the civilians and then either start patrolling the area or get in a vehicle and drive off. the player will have the choice to save the civilians.
  • 50/50 chance a sniper will spawn at 024056, once you have killed the patrol/s. he will make it harder to destroy the light house.

Edited by tigerbomb8

Mission was very enjoyable, indeed high quality. ;)

Some things I would like to see in it:

• Extraction boat. You chose a beatuiful spot for the extraction, why no boat? Make the boat drive off when the player is in and let the screen fade when he is driving
  • Pressure. How about a semi-random timer to the reinforcements to arrive? As above there could be an optional task to save or evne extract some civs.

Nice atmo though. Love it.

How the hell did you get these markers for the mission (taks destination) working????

Update: Version 1.1a

Check OP

Just played the mission, Accomplished with the best ending too. It was really nice, you did a great job, the first time i killed josef then i restarted the mission to complete in the best way possible, i noticed that the patrol follows always the same path... by the way with some more AI patrolling Agia Marina and a couple of Enemy Vehicles patrolling around will be absolutely great.

Cheers! :yay:

Pvt. Sir Lodo

Glad you enjoyed it. v1.1a does have patrolling vehicles (reinforcements) but only if you are detected... Does anyone care to do some testing on v1.1a so we can move to v1.1? let yourself be detected and see if reinforcements come and say hello...

EDIT: V1.2a update. No gameplay changes over v1.1a, check changelog.

Edited by sproyd

Nice mission. It was pretty difficult for me (noob :)), but not too much to become frustrating. The machinegunner at the pier was really tough.

However, I didn't see the reinforcements, although I got detected. And I would also improve the ending a little bit. It would be nice, if the Mission Accomplished appeared after getting on the boat and going away for a few seconds.

Update v1.3 - the reinforcement script is out of alpha and is now stable. The mission should be much more challenging now (it is for me!)

That was a fun little mission. It could use more enemies though, I'd also like to be able to board the boat and sail a little before mission finishes..

edit: ^nice, will try the new one.

Edited by Zorg_DK

That was a fun little mission. It could use more enemies though, I'd also like the be able to board the boat and sail a little before mission finishes..

edit: ^nice, will try the new one.

Both of these should be doable in v1.3. Look forward to your feedback especially seeing as you played an older version.

Good update, it was more challenging. On the way to extraction I blew up a civilian, that walked between the church and the radio tower, with a tripwire mine, hilarious. :D

Great mission. Hard but not extremely hard. I just got screwed over by a Ifrit GMG that was rolling through because I took 3 magazines to kill the patrol (+ I killed Josef). But yeah, it's pretty good. Haven't accomplished the mission so far so I'll provide feedback about later things later on.

Great mission. Hard but not extremely hard. I just got screwed over by a Ifrit GMG that was rolling through because I took 3 magazines to kill the patrol (+ I killed Josef). But yeah, it's pretty good. Haven't accomplished the mission so far so I'll provide feedback about later things later on.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the mission is currently in a good state!