Sign in to follow this  
hia3official

Improvements for 3rdPersonView parameter setting

We would like to suggest a new settings for 3rdPersonView parameter in [profile_name].Arma3Profile configuration file before we made a ticket about it on feedback tracker.

We think that 3rdPersonView prameter should have more options according to player's status in game. There are two basic statuses: "Player on foot" and "Player in vehicle". Each status assumes a different way of using 3rd person view by a player. When a "Player is on foot", he would probably use 3rd person view to determine the friendlies and (what is more important) enemies position. Usually, that makes him a kind of cheater. Second status is "Player in vehicle". From this position most of players are using a 3rd person view to improve their driving accuracy mostly and sometimes to determine the enemy. That is why we think that 3rdPersonView parameter should be separated or expanded. So here is our suggestions.

A first way we see is to expand 3rdPersonView parameter to:

3rdPersonView=0; - 3rd person view is off

3rdPersonView=1; - 3rd person view is on for all

3rdPersonView=2; - 3rd person view is on for vehicles, off for infantry

3rdPersonView=3; - 3rd person view is on for infantry, off for vehicles

A second way is to split it as two different parameters with individual 3rd person view settings:

3rdPerson_Infantry=0; - 3rd person view is off for infantry

3rdPerson_Infantry=1; - 3rd person view is on for infantry

3rdPerson_Vehicles=0; - 3rd person view is off for vehicles

3rdPerson_Vehicles=1; - 3rd person view is on for vehicles

Thanks to Terox for proposing second method. And here is another useful proposal from him about crosshair indication:

crosshairs=0; - All crosshairs off

crosshairs=1; - Only lockable weapon crosshairs

crosshairs=2; - All croshhairs on

Let us know what you think about these proposals or let's discuss it together.

Edited by hia3official

I for one would like to see an option that specifically both differentiates and defines 3rd person view for each man/vehicle

I'd probably go even further and split the parameter per vehicle category.

Air

Tracked

Wheeled

Since a constricted FoV is a crucial gameplay element for Tank crews.

Edited by mantls

I'd probably go even further and split the parameter per vehicle category.

Air

Tracked

Wheeled

I agree, this shall be great!

This would be AWESOME.

I had to disable locking+cross. But the players really need it for air vehicles.

The problem: With vehicle locking you see cars through hills, with the launcher cross.

*thumbs up*

In addition to this, the ****.arma3profile also has some elements that have no effect

The following defintitions do not have any effect

difficulty="veteran";

difficultyMP="veteran";

in all cases regardless of the request, each mission starts in regulat mode unless manually changed

This means a lot of server admins set their regular difficulty level to the required setting instead of manually selecting the correct setting required

In addition to this, the ****.arma3profile also has some elements that have no effect

The following defintitions do not have any effect

difficulty="veteran";

difficultyMP="veteran";

in all cases regardless of the request, each mission starts in regulat mode unless manually changed

This means a lot of server admins set their regular difficulty level to the required setting instead of manually selecting the correct setting required

+1 Totally agree

I also vote when these comes, for a split by vehicle categorys. In cause most time as pilot, you don't have an 3rd person aboard, that will look if tail and mainrotor are free. And you are not able to look like a real Pilot. But at all, its a nice idea. Is there also a feedback entry?

I agree, there should be an option to change these settings.

(it is not, but it is kinda "cheating" when u can look in 3rd view as u can not do that in real life)

This might be totally off the topic but i'd wish there would be a difficulty parameter to disable the "automatic range finder" when you open the mouse scroll menu on recruit and regular..

Next to that, i agree with the OP.

I also vote when these comes, for a split by vehicle categorys. In cause most time as pilot, you don't have an 3rd person aboard, that will look if tail and mainrotor are free. And you are not able to look like a real Pilot. But at all, its a nice idea. Is there also a feedback entry?

A ticket on feedback tracker will be created when we will finish to discuss it here without any aruments against this feature request.

3rdPerson_Infantry=0; - 3rd person view is off for infantry

3rdPerson_Infantry=1; - 3rd person view is on for infantry

3rdPerson_Vehicles=0; - 3rd person view is off for vehicles

3rdPerson_Vehicles=1; - 3rd person view is on for vehicles

Way better option than the first, however the ability to disable this on a per player/vehicle basis would be needed at least in script so that mission designers can override this behavior if it would otherwise break their mission.

keep the discussion up, i'm definitely for improved server side settings like these ...

People in my Community always argument with 1st Person (as Infantry) not being realistic, which might be true to some degree. In Vehicles however, especially Tracked/Tank Vehicles, 3rd person just completely removes the need for a commander etc.

Our clan was just talking about this the other day. We definitely need the ability to change the 3rd person settings based on if your on foot on in a vehicle.

agreed this is a great idea :)