Sign in to follow this  
COMMANDOBLACK

We need a action command for landing helicopters on demand.

The game feels kind of off or not correct, when I can not give a simple order to the pilot of the helicopter to land. I do think that we really do need this in game right about now.

Second if the helicopter is not going to land all the way, why not have animation that shows them jumping out of the helicopter in a combat way instead of the animation that makes them step down onto air and then fall 3 meters.

I rather have an animation of them jumping out of the bird 3 meters high or Repelling down from the chopper than what we have now. It breaks the immersion of the helicopter a bit too much.

Other than that, the game is turning out great.

I agree about the "land" issue. Currently if you want your pilot to land via an order you have to use "get out" command on him. He then lands & gets out, not always what you want :)

So we know that he can land (because he does so when you order "get out"), so we could easily have the order IMO. The only confusion might be how to handle the logic of where he lands - when you order "get out" the pilot looks for a suitable area. "Land" might require more info i.e. in what area to land? I suppose there could be a contextual "go to, and land" order. If not then you'd need to make two orders, "go to" and then "land" when he's close, which would still be an improvement.

there is the command

unitname land "land"

it's relativelty simple to code that into any mission for the player to use.

You can order your squad if you are a squad leader to enter a helicopter that is in-flight (which isn't in the same group) and it will land to pick up your squad and continue it's business, very useful to shuttle troops around. You do have a point on being able to do this on an individual level. As i think a large map such as Altis brings a logistic problem along, in terms of covering larges areas and moving from point A to point B (or even worse, point Z) :D

Needs to be a native command however!

Agreed, but as long as it presumably remains low on the BIS 'to do' list, then it's simple enough to 'fudge' with a bit of 'addaction'

^^ we don't want any fudging, but what WOULD be good is for the player to point at a clearing then select the chopper in team and LAND HERE. Likewise, while riding in a chopper, the addaction to be available to players.

Of course the ideal is for the chopper to land ASAP in case it is under fire.

^^ we don't want any fudging, but what WOULD be good is for the player to point at a clearing then select the chopper in team and LAND HERE. Likewise, while riding in a chopper, the addaction to be available to players.

Of course the ideal is for the chopper to land ASAP in case it is under fire.

I agree, I've been hoping for a feature like this for a while now.

there is the command

unitname land "land"

it's relativelty simple to code that into any mission for the player to use.

and that's why there is lack of improvement...you guys rely always on modding instead of asking devs to do this kind of things, i would appreciate if this "simple" command (maybe for you veterans, i dont even care to know how to set up scripts in this game) would be put in stable release of the game!

edit: where's the ticket? ;)

Needs to be a native command however!

You mean as part of the command menu for player team leaders? Before this is implemented the whole radio/command system should be overhauled to be a little more dynamic that is it is now. A simple land command wouldn't be applicable to every unit and there should should be variations of it to respond to the current RoE and combat status. Even if the command system were programable outside the support/radio radio menu would be great as to allow the community to address the now dated static nature of the command menu.

and that's why there is lack of improvement...you guys rely always on modding instead of asking devs to do this kind of things, i would appreciate if this "simple" command (maybe for you veterans, i dont even care to know how to set up scripts in this game) would be put in stable release of the game!

We would all like the devs to just "do" whatever we would like them to do... but it ain't gonna happen just like that. You would prefer nothing at all to be done?

This should be a no brainer. For example, mortar have "special" commands on the menu, why not choppers? Create an invisible H where the player is pointing and there you go.

In ArmA2 it was a order for the pilot like "Get out".

So the pilot landed and disembarked (when it was not locked, then he flew away again).

Under some circumstances it is the last thing the player wants that the pilot is getting out.

Beside that, you have to waste time by giving another needless command to "Get in as pilot".

Under some circumstances you see then a menu:

- Chopper at 6 o'clock-

- Chopper at 12 o'clock

- Chopper at 12 o'clock

:mad:

We need a action command for landing helicopters on demand!

As messiah said above, it can be done with a simple script/targetted add action so it is only visible when the player is in a helicopter. I would write it for u now, but not near a pc. It may be something usefull as a standard game feature, but, someone could also write it v siimply.

We would all like the devs to just "do" whatever we would like them to do...but it ain't gonna happen just like that. You would prefer nothing at all to be done?

i would prefer devs fixing bugs, and players play the game, not vice versa and be forced to learn modding and scripting to adapt and fix bugs for them.

if devs can't find solutions to these (apparently simple) bugs, there's something wrong here.

i mean i can understand that they wont implement huge requests like 64 bit exe, and loads of similar threads, but come on, things like the javelin shooting more than one missile, ultra weird ai, total disorganized action menu, and things of this kind should have been fixed in the past 2 months of the alpha program! it's even stated that they "should" focus on infantry combat in alpha, but in these regards i did not see nothing happen...however i hope im wrong, im not saying that they are not doing a good job, in fact i've seen the altis map yesterday on the livestream and it was quite impressive and all. but please, stop posting "solutions" like "hey, it's a very simple thing! just add this SCRIPT" "hey! but there's a MOD for that!" that's just wrong. at least for me.

Edited by GottyPlays

[snip]... it can be done with a simple script/targetted add Action...[snap]

Don't tell me, tell that to Bohemia Interactive Studios:

"Hey look, I have a line of code here, that..."

...problem solved in the next release!

i would prefer devs fixing bugs, and players play the game, not vice versa and be forced to learn modding and scripting to adapt and fix bugs for them.

if devs can't find solutions to these (apparently simple) bugs, there's something wrong here.

i mean i can understand that they wont implement huge requests like 64 bit exe, and loads of similar threads, but come on, things like the javelin shooting more than one missile, ultra weird ai, total disorganized action menu, and things of this kind should have been fixed in the past 2 months of the alpha program! it's even stated that they "should" focus on infantry combat in alpha, but in these regards i did not see nothing happen...however i hope im wrong, im not saying that they are not doing a good job, in fact i've seen the altis map yesterday on the livestream and it was quite impressive and all. but please, stop posting "solutions" like "hey, it's a very simple thing! just add this SCRIPT" "hey! but there's a MOD for that!" that's just wrong. at least for me.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the lack of a "land" order is not a bug. It's just something you want that does not exist. If the devs don't have a use or a need for it - it may not ever get made at all. As you yourself say - there's plenty of *actual* bugs to fix first.

Good thing the game can be modded though, right? For those who can be bothered.

Allow me to retort then; if we all sat on our hands and expected/wished BIS to implement everything we wanted, rather than doing it ourselves, then innovations such as ACRE, ACE, MSO and everything else inbetween would never exist today - innovations that then tend to get noticed by BIS and implemented along the way. It's a bit of a vicious circle/catch 22 in some respects of course.

I agree it's a simple thing to implement that would be entirely reasonable and logical for BIS to code in - All I'm pointing out is that it might be prudent to assume that it's not going to make an appearance, and realise that it can easily be solved with a little simple scripting on your part. On the plus side, you're then taking a small leap into the world of scripting, modding and generally pushing ArmA beyond the 'out of the box' experience most games offer.

Taking this from the other side as well, what happens if a land command gets implemented and another faction of users start complaining that they now have to script the land command out as it break's their missions/allows players to stop the chopper places they never intended them to.

Edited by Messiah

Guys, this is simple, useful and long time wanted. Mods are cool and everything but the bottom line of using them for everything is getting old.

All in all, the command is already there - https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/land - just make it a part of the command menus when a chopper is selected.

^ It really does need to be implemented, especially considering how large Altis is going to be. I mean if the functionality is there and you can "fudge" it, Why not just implement the fudged way into the menu and then work on it when there are less pressing things to deal with? It's been one of my pet peeves in most of the missions I have made.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the lack of a "land" order is not a bug. It's just something you want that does not exist. If the devs don't have a use or a need for it - it may not ever get made at all. As you yourself say - there's plenty of *actual* bugs to fix first.

Good thing the game can be modded though, right? For those who can be bothered.

i see your point,but i'm not saying that mods should be erased from the face of the earth xD come on, you understood what i meant ;)

Allow me to retort then;if we all sat on our hands and expected/wished BIS to implement everything we wanted, rather than doing it ourselves, then innovations such as ACRE, ACE, MSO and everything else inbetween would never exist today - innovations that then tend to get noticed by BIS and implemented along the way. It's a bit of a vicious circle/catch 22 in some respects of course.

I agree it's a simple thing to implement that would be entirely reasonable and logical for BIS to code in - All I'm pointing out is that it might be prudent to assume that it's not going to make an appearance, and realise that it can easily be solved with a little simple scripting on your part. On the plus side, you're then taking a small leap into the world of scripting, modding and generally pushing ArmA beyond the 'out of the box' experience most games offer.

look at how i see it: why should i bother modding a game that is still in alpha stage, when there are DEVS that suggest me to use the feedback tracker to do Q&A and add personal (or community) requests?

if mod is a solution to a bug/missing feature, then people like me who do not intend to learn a scripting language for a video game are pretty much screwed, is my point clear now? im not saying that modding communities should go and burn in hell xD just don't use it as an excuse for the devs to not implement features, as i see it, bis is not implementing proper radio communications because (many user's words) "there is already acre for that".

sorry but im italian and my english is gone rusty :P

Taking this from the other side as well, what happens if a land command gets implemented and another faction of users start complaining that they now have to script the land command out as it break's their missions/allows players to stop the chopper places they never intended them to.

guess it's mission maker's problem due to a game still being in alpha stage? look at the shitstorm that happened just few weeks ago due to the change in some script changes (i did not understood a single thing so forgive me xD) i hate to read it, but i have to say it, it's still an alpha, so mission makers should wait to finalize their missions once stable build is released i think. aind however i can't see how a new entry in the actions menu could screw so badly a mission?

Edited by GottyPlays

look at how i see it: why should i bother modding a game that is still in alpha stage, when there are DEVS that suggest me to use the feedback tracker to do Q&A and add personal (or community) requests?

if mod is a solution to a bug/missing feature, then people like me who do not intend to learn a scripting language for a video game are pretty much screwed, is my point clear now? im not saying that modding communities should go and burn in hell xD just don't use it as an excuse for the devs to not implement features, as i see it, bis is not implementing proper radio communications because (many user's words) "there is already acre for that".

sorry but im italian and my english is gone rusty :P

Oh I totally understand your point, I was really just playing devils advocate, trying to point out the other side of it. Like you said, what's easy for the veterans is perhaps a little more daunting for the new guys, but don't think of it as 'scripting', it's a series of very simple commands, and something that makes the basic mission editor and what you can achievie, 100x better.

And you English is very good, no problems :)

Don't tell me, tell that to Bohemia Interactive Studios:

"Hey look, I have a line of code here, that..."

...problem solved in the next release!

The problem with that approach is u end up with a very bloated game with hundreds of little scripts loadin at startup that most players hardly use if ever. There is no difference with a community made script that is run from 1 line in the init.sqf. If you are waiting for every little need to be included as standard, it will never happen. One of the mainfeatures of this game is the way it can be customised. It allows mission makers to put in as little or as much as they need. Thats how things are.

Great information guys! But the best way is this way.:confused: Why can it not be a module? This would give us the ability to be in command of that vehicle as long as we are inside of it. This would also allow us to control the where a F35 too, so that it can hover and land where we want it. If it is a module, it would not have to be put down in a mission you don't want the player to have control of the helicopter. This would be the best solution to this old, but fairly easy problem.

Edited by COMMANDOBLACK

Back in the 'old days' a chap called Mandoble made a script that could, with pinpoint accuracy' land a helicopter on the smallest of spaces. How we miss him!

The real problem is to do with ownership of the vehicle. A vehicle spawned by the server is owned by the server and it is hard for the player to have full control over it (does wierd things I believe). Don't ask me any further because I'm not a coder, but this is what I have picked up for guru coders in the past.

Effectively we need a 'loadmaster' in the helicopter - someone that can point to an area (and is obviously trusted by the pilot) and get the pilot to land exactly where the loadmaster wants. If the chopper crashes it is not the pilots fault!