Sign in to follow this  
SethAten

Can I make an "Easy Mode" gun for the kiddies?

So, most of the ARMA player base, if not all, will flame me because "ARMA is a Military Simulator...get CoD if you don't want ballistics".

For me, ARMA is mostly a sandbox, driving my tank around, building my own missions, doing them CO-OP with friends...stuff CoD won't let me. But I've run into a problem with the kiddies...they watch me, they want to play, I let them...and then they can't hit the broad side of a barn, while the AI is pulling headshots.

I'm looking to make, or have made( don't worry, I know about the requests thread, but if I can do it myself that would be good to know here. I also want to verify it is possible), the perfect kiddie gun, something of a more hitscan variety than ballistics, something more What You See Is (Probably) What You Hit.

So what can I do to make a gun(or guns) with pinpoint accuracy, no bullet drop, friction..any of that which makes ARMA such a learning curve? I want the kids to be able to see the guy in the scope, pull the trigger, and hit. None of this "shoot above him for drop compensation", "sniper can't hit shit at 600 yards, even if he can line it up", etc. You get what I'm saying?

P.S. I'd like to do this in ARMA 3 Alpha.

Edited by SethAten
Forgot to specify version.

I think that is possible. Reduce the recoil of lmg, add more ammo per box, increase fire rate and they dont really need to be accurate. how this will make them better players I dont know.

I personally would suggest making missions in which they can hone their skill rather than falsely inflating their ego's. I would also think that making missions is much easier than editing weapons, but I dont know as I only make missions.

* pinpoint accuracy would also be bad. Im assuming they already have bad accuracy, getting rid of the dispersion is actually worse as one cant suppress an area.

you may also try editing the ai skill settings as they are "shit"

also this may help with training http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/shoot

Edited by Masharra

Good to know it's possible..now to find out how.

Recoil would be good...for consecutive shots...probably won't need to bother editing since I think that is acceptable.No reason for ammo, or fire rate. It's the bullet drop that gets them I think. Or the dispersion is too great. The distances for even me to get a good shot warrants a shotgun more than a rifle. Area suppression I can leave for the big boys with the real guns...not that suppression works well with Alpha anyway. That or the AI can sense what losers we are and they just stand their ground.

I will also try the AI settings, should allow them to survive longer.

and LOL, I think your training program would be more useful towards training the kids for the gun I'm trying to make, not the guns we have now. If ARMA guns worked like that flash game I wouldn't have to make easier guns :P

2r580g0.png

armaultrasniperantitankpilotmedic_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

I am robocop :cylon:

Ontopic: What you wanna do should be a straightforward config replacement. The values you´re looking for are:

class cfgAmmo {
       class BulletBase;
class custom_kidsammo: BulletBase {
	hit = 6;					// Damage on hit. In OFP total damage is calculated as: Total damage = Hit damage - Indirect damage (while hit value bigger then Indirecthit) 
	indirectHit = 0.05;			// Damage in indirectHitRange. 
	indirectHitRange = 0.04;	// Radius in metres where indirectHit damage is caused. 
	typicalSpeed = 140;			// hit value is valid when projectile moves at this speed. With lower speed the hit caused by the ammo is lower as well. 
	visibleFire = 14;			// how much does AI see a unit firing this weapon 
	audibleFire = 14;			// How much can AI hear when given weapon is fired. 
	visibleFireTime = 6;		// How long is one shot assumed to be noticeable by the AI. Values under 5 should be avoided, as AI can performs is cycles with 5s of no testing in between. 
	timeToLive=3.5;				// Time before the ammo vanishes, used as optimization to avoid having to simulate stray bullets. 
	deflecting = 45;			// max. angle at which the bullet will be deflected - 0 means no deflection 
	caliber = 0.05;				// 0.5 = Stanag, 0.33 = Pistol
	airFriction = -0.032000;       //lower values = more drag
               }
};

class CfgMagazines {
       class CA_Magazine;
class custom_kidsmagazine: CA_Magazine {
	tracersEvery = 1;		// determines what bullet is tracer 
	initSpeed = 30000;		// in case it is not in weapon
	type = "256";			// 256 occupies one primary mag slot (#32 for handgun mags)
	scope = 1;
};
};

^^ in this example the most crucial factor for railgun trajectory is the initspeed - where i put 30k which is about 30times faster than the mighty ArmA2OA Lee Enfield

Be aware though that i haven´t made anything working for ArmA3 yet, so all this could just not work at all.

you may also try editing the ai skill settings as they are "shit"

i know this isn't what you asked for but i have to agree with that. i think you can give them a much better experience, if you give the AI very bad accuracy. i once accidently turned it down to i think 0.1 (can't remember the exact value) and it turned the AI into action movie bad guys that shoot a lot but almost never hit you.

that way you get a rambo like cinematic situation but you need no skill whatsoever to survive. that means you'll have a lot of time to aim properly over long range. and the good thing is that you keep the normal gun play which is more fun and challenging than a laser gun. another thing that can make a world of difference for beginners are tracers. i recommend you to use the MXM with a scope and use the red tracer ammo. that way they can really see the bullet's behaviour and adapt to it. and it looks damn cool:)

all those things are also on the mission level which makes it easier to tweak the values on the fly, if your kids are adapting and getting better.

here's the code for accuracy:

{

_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.1];

} forEach allUnits;

inside your mission folder make a file called init.sqf and put this code inside.

You could go full retard and just make a script that detects which unit is closest to the middle of the screen. If the unit is within a few degrees of the center and you have line of sight, just generate a random chance of a hit based on stance and distance. From what I understand this is exactly how broshooters do it. Arma can do it too for what its worth. You would have to delete the player's shot bullet btw. You don't really need to touch the config, you could just make it a script or mission. You could even turn it on and off ingame if you wanted to.