Sign in to follow this  
old_painless

Shockingly bad AI

Thread should be titled "Shockingly Bad AI Reaction to Being Shot at While on Quad without Waypoint" ;)

Sound obscure? Well that's because it IS obscure!!! C'mon now guys, refining autonomous behavior for an AI on a Quadrunner in a military game just isn't that high on the priority list -or at least, it shouldn't be. Like stated above -theres a lot to consider on when it would prudent to jump off the quad and go defensive and when to just haul a$$ outta there. I certainly don't want my AI jumping out of every vehicle to engage everytime a shot flies near and almost all of this is configurable via scripting. We have a Combat Get In module -perhaps Combat Get Out is incoming. Also the AI wouldn't use the quad as cover as they don't use dynamic vehicles for cover at all -something I still hold out for....

Good sir you are not getting the whole picture. Tis no movie.

First you have to decelerate to a safe speed, preferably stop. = easier target = shot

Assuming you make it.

You are now sitting behind a piss poor and able to be easily flanked object. That they can now easily disable since you have stopped moving.

On a fast moving, evasive acting quad 2 things can drop you. A lucky shot and volume of fire.

I would agree if you were to say urban environment as you can turn a corner or pull into an alleyway to break contact to safely disembark, but you said in an open field.

You are SOL in both, but stopping and making yourself a easier target is SuperSOL and tactically unsound. "the only ground that is ever 'owned' by an infantry unit is the ground they are currently on, and even that can be contested."

Why unsound? "you should make your own cover and get behind it quick." You are driving through an open field, you hear the sonic cracks of bullets fling past your head. You stop and you make your own cover and get behind it. Pray tell how do "you" where behind is? In an open field 360 is behind.

http://frank.redpin.com/~urbex/convoy_handbook_2.pdf Read up on it.

Well, that's right. If you're already moving. If you're not moving I wouldn't take my time to start up and gain momentum though.

Lying down next to a quadbike you'll get at least 180 degree cover so the chance is 50% of dropping on the right side even if you have no idea where the shooter is -- which you will probably(?) hear.

In a situation like that I'd pretty much accept that I'm done for but if you're prone with some cover and can locate the shooter I'd say you have a chance unless they're in even better cover.

If I were shot a while moving I'd keep going and zig zag if I thought it would do any good. I'd also search for any small hill for cover and try to get off so I could return fire though.

I'd rather be a shooting duck than a driving duck.

It seems as if ChrisB is the only player who is satisfied with the (heavily modified) AI. All other players just can't understand that. Also, a game can reach a limit where it becomes too complicated. Many customers expect it to work "out of the box".

It should be the other way around: The AI in ArmA3 must function as described by ChrisB, and if the player finds this too heavy, it should be regulated down by the difficulty in the options.

I did a retest when the OPFOR quadbiker had a Move waypoint that ran down the runway, right past me. He did drive away from me, once he saw me standing in his path. So some sort of basic evasion is going on. (I know, gotta make the feedback track item)

I just find him very not hostile. I mean, we are supposed to be deadly enemies. Once he reached his new waypoint, he did not dismount and try to take me out. He just remained in his seat, happy that he got to where he was going.

He should be in a kill-or-be-killed state. Any OPFOR infantry that you put face-to-face with your player will engage you as soon as they detect you. You don't have to spoonfeed them their basic state-of-mind.

The quad driver is just too glued to his seat as I see it.

I did a retest when the OPFOR quadbiker had a Move waypoint that ran down the runway, right past me. He did drive away from me, once he saw me standing in his path. So some sort of basic evasion is going on. (I know, gotta make the feedback track item)

I just find him very not hostile. I mean, we are supposed to be deadly enemies. Once he reached his new waypoint, he did not dismount and try to take me out. He just remained in his seat, happy that he got to where he was going.

He should be in a kill-or-be-killed state. Any OPFOR infantry that you put face-to-face with your player will engage you as soon as they detect you. You don't have to spoonfeed them their basic state-of-mind.

The quad driver is just too glued to his seat as I see it.

i dont know about that. His state is what I tell him to be. From a mission maker perspective. As for the kill or be killed. Most soldiers are not savage beasts who rip their shirts off at the idea of getting to ill the enemy.

Now as for not doing default behaviour then yes that seems bugged"based on what you claim". As default combat state should be Open Fire and default behaviour should be Aware.

Edited by Masharra

i dont know about that. His state is what I tell him to be. From a mission maker perspective.

Quite true, but I would be very surprised if default behaviour would be to wander peacefully around enemies. Again, on default behaviour two opposing infantrymen would try their best to take each other out right away.

I think rather that the vehicle linkage is screwing with the poor guy. I mean, just rewatch the video in the first post. That is wrong on so many levels

Edited by Old_Painless