Sign in to follow this  
nuggetz

Will we ever see a map like Chernarus again?

I read every posting in this thread and no one typed the three words: AiA.............really crazy...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3

the "thirsk" maps from "raunhofer" are very nice done wooden maps....and you can port them to a3 with aia.

So is Podagorsk and the many, many others, now playable in A3 to varying degrees of success, even the old 'Ace' ones..

Aside from Chernarus, Fallujah is also a great, great map that works well with ArmA 3.

I've played it a lot. TheHunter.com is the most photo realistic 3D environment I've ever seen. Heck if you enjoy hiking it's fun to just explore the environment it is that good. 85% of the game's need for power goes straight into its environment rendering, 10% in animal AI and maybe 5% or less in the player, speculation on the numbers but I bet I'm close. ARMA or any FPS won't achieve this level of photo realism because there is so much other stuff the game needs power for, they have completely different goals.

Agreed, even if you don't like hunting, I recommend everyone download this freebie and spend a couple hours in it.

I've been playing the PC deer hunting sim called "The Hunter" which is free to play so I suggest you all check it out. Anyway, the terrain is full off nice foliage, trees, hills, etc. Very well done. Not sure who created it but they are freakin' brilliant. The landscape is so well done I'm amazed. Sun is obstructed by the clouds and the world lighting reflects that too. Amazing. Anyway, been debating on whether or not to try the Arma 3 alpha and I was thinking of Chernarus. Did BIS give up on maps like that because of performance reasons? Ever since Arma 2/OA I've missed the dense maps and was wondering if we'll ever see a map like that again.
Edited by Telkwa

I have to confess I felt a little bit bad when I first learned that the setting of ARMA III would have been Greek islands...

Then I saw how they rendered them and had a party in my pants of course.

Still I would really like to see something like Cherno on ARMA III in the future. It would give me a great feeling but would also help immersion in my opinion. However the modding community probably isn't just sitting around drinking beer. Once they have all the tools they need I belive that we will see old and new maps beign released like hell.