Sign in to follow this  
nuggetz

Will we ever see a map like Chernarus again?

I've been playing the PC deer hunting sim called "The Hunter" which is free to play so I suggest you all check it out. Anyway, the terrain is full off nice foliage, trees, hills, etc. Very well done. Not sure who created it but they are freakin' brilliant. The landscape is so well done I'm amazed. Sun is obstructed by the clouds and the world lighting reflects that too. Amazing. Anyway, been debating on whether or not to try the Arma 3 alpha and I was thinking of Chernarus. Did BIS give up on maps like that because of performance reasons? Ever since Arma 2/OA I've missed the dense maps and was wondering if we'll ever see a map like that again.

Well, It could always be in a post release DLC/standalone expansion. Even if they don't add it, there have already been Chernarus conversion mods and such.

I've been playing the PC deer hunting sim called "The Hunter" which is free to play so I suggest you all check it out. Anyway, the terrain is full off nice foliage, trees, hills, etc. Very well done. Not sure who created it but they are freakin' brilliant. The landscape is so well done I'm amazed. Sun is obstructed by the clouds and the world lighting reflects that too. Amazing. Anyway, been debating on whether or not to try the Arma 3 alpha and I was thinking of Chernarus. Did BIS give up on maps like that because of performance reasons? Ever since Arma 2/OA I've missed the dense maps and was wondering if we'll ever see a map like that again.

I'm pretty sure Altis will have dense areas through out the map.

Ever since Arma 2/OA I've missed the dense maps and was wondering if we'll ever see a map like that again.

Well since OA was the last full Arma release I wouldnt say they "abandoned" the east european style, for now they just try something else. Also in one of the DLCs they even released chernarus +.

Chernarus may be converted at some point but Altis is bigger and will have varied areas from arid to forested and flat to mountainous. More villages and towns which will be bigger than any on Cherno. Also almost all the buildings will be enterable unlike Cherno.

I think we may forget about Chernarus once Altis comes along...

I'm pretty sure Altis will have dense areas through out the map.

The greece Islands dont have any vegetation like "Chernarus" with its dense woods. The current Arma 3 alpha Island called Stratis is actually quiete typical and very close to the main Island "Lemnos/Limnos" which will be the main Island in Arma 3.

Many Landscape images on Flickr about Lemnus/Limnus/Altis:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=limnos%20landscape

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lemnos%20island

Edited by oxmox

The greece Islands dont have any vegetation like "Chernarus" with its dense woods...

In some early info BiS said they would change things a bit from the real island to make it more diverse. I don't think there will be huge forests but there should be some woods...

You can get a general (lowres) view here: http://www.arma3.com/features/terrain

(Stratis is about the size of the bottom bit attached by thin strip of land)

Edited by EDcase

The woods that we see on Stratis already are a million miles ahead of what we saw in Chernarus.

I suggest people to wait for finished Chernarus+ in DayZ. Then Bohemia they can remove bloodstains and the garbage from the street and release it in Arma 3 :) Let's hope they do so.

I doubt that BIS abandoned forest/woodland areas, they're just diversifying the maps. ArmA 2 was an east russian woodland map with some cities and factories, and OA was a middle eastern deset map,

and the ArmA 3 maps are Mediterranean.

Stratis has a lot of dense woods and from what BIS said, Altis will be pretty diverse so it will probably have forests too.

And modders will surely create woodland maps, AiA mod allows you to port ArmA 2 content and maps to A3 so you can have Chernarus with A3 lightning and underwater.

I guess the TO wants to point out the level of detail of vegatation and forests from "The Hunter" in comparison to Arma.

Greece vegetation is varied too but I like Cherno more,not sure what is it but those pine forests,plains and mountains(well more like big hills) brings out the mountaineer in me.

I think there is a really good array of terrain types, mostly all community made though.

BIS have done a pretty good job with varying their terrains, but are restricted, they are so time consuming to make.

But I’m pretty certain we will see some great new terrains made, over the next 3-4yrs.

Oh, and yes its most likely we will see Chernarus style terrains again, but only community made ones, I should think..:)

I think we need to wait until we get our hands on Altis. I hope they have based it on Sahrani, now that was a cool map!

I wanna see middle east for the next map. Some intense sand storm blowing should be included.

Is anyone interested in dense tropical south pacific island terrain? Just curious ;)

Is anyone interested in dense tropical south pacific island terrain? Just curious ;)

Yes, why, have you got one..:D

I know there are a few similar type terrains for A2, I use. They can be a little heavy, but not beyond a settings reconfig..

I think this is what ArmA has been missing,

An area with something like 50 islands, a lot of water play and would make divers actually make sense.

If you want it, Chernarus is great in Arma 3 already. Looks way better with the new lighting. Most stuff does, really. I got clafghan mostly working except two major issues, and it looks (and runs!) amazing in the A3 renderer. Especially with the new fog system letting me put fog down at the bottoms of all the valleys.

And from that Pre-E3 stream where they showed off Altis, there was a lot of variety in the terrain. It's a big ass place, so I expect there will be plenty of forest terrain if that's what you want :)

People had lag with Chernarus vegetation. Probably not gonna happen.

Considering how much better Clafghan runs in ArmA 3 than Arma 2, with at least as much vegetation in view as Chernarus, I think they can pull it off. If they can add better CPU support by launch , that shouldn't be anywhere near the issue it was in A2. I can also play with very high visibility on Chernarus just fine in Arma 2. Better than maps like Clafghan or Sangin. Chernarus actually runs really solid for me, especially on the ground. All they have to do is work on optimization.

An area with something like 50 islands, a lot of water play and would make divers actually make sense.

That would be pretty awesome. I recently played with "Nam" for ArmA 2, and man I bet that'd be a kick ass island to play with the enhancements to ArmA 3, especially the new fog :D It was already cool in ArmA 2, but with ArmA 3 being smoother and seemingly better at handling more on screen, and having that sweet, sweet fog, I bet that map would be awesome in ArmA 3. A similar map with more water and a bunch of islands would be awesome as well. Not sure I've seen a lot of islands that are a bunch of smaller islands in ArmA 2.

Hell, maybe someone will reskin the map with old Cherno assets for the vegetation and make it a bit greener.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

Yes!!!!! I wanna sneak around in swamps and dense jungles ;D

Not just diving, but swimming in general. Swimming on Arma 2 is just atrocious.

Hello there

I doubt we will see DAYZ's Chernarus+ released for A3 users any time soon. It could happen but IMHO doesn't seem likely.

Regardless, we have a wealth of groovy A2 maps that with mods such as .kju's AiA will hopefully seamlessly "port" over with his wrapper.

Anyone tried Lingor in A3 yet?, it seems to me it would be a splendid map to play in A3 as the environment is soggy and suits the new fog system. Plus, most of its buildings are enterable.

Rgds

LoK

I hope so, but if not, somebody can hopefully port it over (same for the other maps/islands). Chernarus still looks amazingly good on max settings, even four years later! :)

Edited by Laqueesha

I hope so, but if not, somebody can hopefully port it over (same for the other maps/islands). Chernarus still looks amazingly good on max settings, even four years later! :)

I agree. Chernarus is probably the greates game map ever. The only things I would say about it is that all buildings need to be enterable. If that were changed and ported to A3 as a DLC it would sell for definite :)

So yeah - if the altered Chernarus from DayZ Standalone were cleaned up (i.e. blood textures & wreckage removed etc) and ported, would be a great deal.

yeah i understand Bohemia they wanted something different they made those Russian style maps since Operation Flashpoint , but i also hope after main game release they will make DLC or expansion with new map something like Pripyat would be nice