Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

Headgear

Quick thought I had last night: What if NV Goggles become an eyewear (just like other goggles, shades...) and thus create (or re-arrange) a new space for things like balaclavas, mask and so on?

Because right now to do something like this you have to sacrifice something or make combos, which kind of defeat the purpose of this whole customization thing. It would also, kind of, solve my gripe with ants armies and is it more realistic all around, because I don't think you can use (effectively) NV with other types of goggles. Yes, nipticking.

a. is doable?

b. is doable in this stage of development?

c. whort it?

Sounds good to me.

Should'nt be that hard to change?

Don't know, that is what I'm asking.

And would leave an open door for modders to do their thing.

I actually thought about something similar, but instead of making NVGs an eyewear I thought about making balaclavas a "face choice" instead of a peace of equipment (like in excellent Kiory's mod) - so if you want to use balaclava you would have to select it in your profile options. The only (obvious) flaw of this method is that you'd be unable to take it off in the middle of a mission.

I actually thought about something similar, but instead of making NVGs an eyewear I thought about making balaclavas a "face choice" instead of a peace of equipment (like in excellent Kiory's mod) - so if you want to use balaclava you would have to select it in your profile options. The only (obvious) flaw of this method is that you'd be unable to take it off in the middle of a mission.

It's actually pretty "simple", currently the head is a proxy if I remember correctly, we just need a slot that's able to change the head proxy itself. As with glasses, you could select it in your profile and it would be equipped by default at the start of the mission and you could take it off. Config defined face wear would override your profile choice.

Balaclavas and similar head items could be modeled as new heads that could inherit the "personality" texture of your profile face, so you could have one balaclava model that would still represent your face behind such facewear. Having nothing in the slot would default to your default head model. Something in line how the uniforms work now and would avoid clipping issues with different head models.

The only issue here is that some heads are shaped differently so the headwear that shows a large part of a face could potentially end up looking slightly odd, for example your default face has a model that represents a guy with a thick nose and the guy who modeled the balaclava that shows the nose too has modeled it in a way that the face has a thin nose, it would incur a bit of a visual oddity when you put on the balaclava and the nose suddenly becomes thin and the texture gets mapped a bit different, but I believe the trade-off would be acceptable.

Any face mask should be classified as eye wear so that it may be removed. NVG's should also be without a doubt as eye wear. And I do wish that they do differentiate the NVG's too. The same manufacture should not be supplying the two opposing forces with NVG's.

Last but not least, why not for the love of this game, we can not get a action order for helicopters to LAND. Land now! I want the helicopter to land when it is hovering above me and I want to get in it.