Sign in to follow this  
Drongo69

Drongo's Toolkit (command engine, artillery, AI, objectives, more)

Drongo thanks for the mod.

I have a request if your taking them,is there any way to disable smoke throwing? I cant afford to spare the fps and already have it disabled in bcombat but your mod over rules those particular settings.Its a matter of 15 or so frames for me in common urban encounters.

Any chance you might consider it?

@redarmy

Yeah, it's kind of a legacy feature for when DT was for OFP. With all the superior AI mods around it isn't really necessary. I'll probably make it require a module to activate for the next release, but off by default.

@redarmy

Yeah, it's kind of a legacy feature for when DT was for OFP. With all the superior AI mods around it isn't really necessary. I'll probably make it require a module to activate for the next release, but off by default.

Much appreciated Drongo.

Great to have a mod like this and excellent to see such good and frequent updates for it.

I might add,on the smoke subject,when ordering an AI group to throw smoke,all members from group throw smoke together.Not sure if thats intentional just wanted to point out.

Do you think it would be possible to not have the character stop moving when we open the Command menu?

It this the only gripe I have that keep me from using this mod extensively because I'd like to be able to keep moving while giving my squadmates orders.

Thanks!

Hi Drongo,in the toolkit,is there a way to click and scroll as to select multiple ai groups at once in the map?

Sorry for the late reply, I got burned out on Arma modding.

@Silverwave

I think that is default Arma behaviour, I don't know how to disable it.

@redarmy

There is no way to do that. It would be a very useful feature, but I don't know how to go about coding it. Also, everyone throwing smoke together is how I intended it to work.

No worries Drongo,

and without even modding,i know that burnt out feeling by simply trying to create scenarios.Armas greatness is what kees us coming back i guess.

In shay gman and spirits MCC,its possible to do that.But i imagine its totally different framework in which mcc enables it to work.

I disabled shadows to offset the smoke in high infantry count envoirments and i was suprised to find that arma3 visuals are easier to take in and spot things with shadows off.

Continue a well earned break man.

Hi Drongo,

First of all, thanks for the toolkit, its a fantastic addon. I've really enjoyed playing around with some of the possibilities it brings over the last few nights. It adds some functionality that wasn't brilliantly executed in the BIS High Command system and has been missing since the CoC system in the good old days.

I appreciate it looks like you're taking a well deserved break, but thought I'd mention something in the hope that you continue to develop the command system at some point in the future: The squad selection panel seems to lag quite badly for me (single player), especially with a larger number of units. In the scenario I've been putting together recently I had 6 x infantry groups, 6 x IFV's, 4 x MBT's, a command group (player) and 4 x mortars. This gave a total of roughly 16 groups on the panel. It would appear the list refreshes automatically after every action undertaken (possibly when the group status changes i.e. a casualty, as well)? The menu is quite laggy, especially as the mission progresses and activity increases, and got almost unplayable. The use of the BIS Set Callsign Group modifier seems to make the issue even worse (and appends the custom callsigns with 'B' on the command display panel for some reason). I've run the mission with no other addons or scripts with no discernible improvement. Is this something others have experienced? Is there an upper limit that was envisaged for the number of groups? I wondered if it would be possible to refresh the unit selection panel less often, perhaps at times intervals, or only when the refresh button is hit to try and resolve this?

The reporting functionality you have bought in, is absolutely fantastic and something I've wanted for ages. Whilst my units report casualties and sightings I don't believe they give 'contact' reports however? Sometimes the first time I know a unit is in a contact is when casualties occur. Within the scope of the project would contact reports be possible i.e. units report as soon as they are getting shot at?

Finally I've also been using Grumpy Old Man's Fire Support System of late. He's done some very impressive work in terms of unit reporting enemy sightings by type number and location for instance: "Enemy in Platoon strength with vehicle in the treeline". First time I saw them I couldn't believe they were dynamically scripted! I thought it might be something worth looking at to enhance what is an already awesome feature.

Thanks once again for the Toolkit (and for the Artillery system...by FAR the best out there at the moment).

Cheers.

@ JoeAnorak

Glad you are enjoying it, I've put a lot of time into developing it. I am aware of the lagginess issues and I have spent time and effort in the past trying to optimize this. I am not exactly sure why it happens, the actual code for each refresh isn't all that heavy. Perhaps it is because I am using execVM instead of call? I'll try switching.

There is not hard-coded limit, though I personally think the system is probably unwieldy at anything above company level. I would also like to add some stuff like the High Command clickable markers and icons, but haven't looked into the scripting to do so yet.

I have not tried Grumpy Old Man's FSS, though that sounds very impressive. Most of my concepts come from my OFP versions, so I often find myself saying "There's a command for that?!" in Arma. I'll look into it. Regarding "contact" reports, does that mean taking fire but no casualties yet?

Drongo,

Company level is what I've been looking at. I could use less groups but don't really like having infantry grouped with vehicles so I can maintain some finesse in controlling them. Unfortunately I can't offer any scripting know-how as my knowledge is extremely limited. If you are looking at High Command related stuff you might also be interested in Domz High Command Extensions and some of the stuff James McKenzie-Smith did. There was also a fantastic demo for expanded High Command function but I can't for the life of me find where I got the mission and unfortunately none of the scripts are signed. I'm 99.9% sure it was Mr_Centipede's work, who put together the Hybrid Commanding System. The mission folder was [bAF]_HC_Pltn_Template.Chernarus, I don't think it was widely released but I could provide a copy. All are for ARMA 2 and bought different things to the table, I think I even mashed together elements of High Command Extensions and Mr Centipedes stuff at one point. Unfortunately they were all command menu based which wasn't very ergonomic, but some of the functionality via your dialogue would be awesome. I'm sure at the very least there is some inspiration there and hopefully something which saves you considerable work in building from scratch!

By contact reports I did mean a unit basically reporting when they first get fired at. In the British Army this would be a simple 'Contact. Wait Out' over the radio net. I know there are a number of scripts that do fire detection, mostly for suppression purposes (bCombat being the most prominent). I would assume the difficulty is getting units to only report the initial shots rather than spamming messages with every bullet, and getting things to reset between different fire fights.

Cheers

same as above, also a bug when loading a game after exiting arma you cant open the toolkit menu anymore

request: make heal others command auto heal companions or self without having to choose which person has to do it

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

cant seem to edit my post it was a copy and paste from my armaholic post

even i change the key ""dtKey = 0xDB;"" with another one still work the left windows button!

same as above, also a bug when loading a game after exiting arma you cant open the toolkit menu anymore

request: make heal others command auto heal companions or self without having to choose which person has to do it

@ JoeAnorak

I'll bear all that in mind when I have some serious time to look at DT in detail. I have also been reading up on script optimization, I'm guessing my reliance on execVM may be part of the reason for menu lag. I'm going to try to use call instead. Any coding wizzes are welcome to chip in with advice.

even i change the key ""dtKey = 0xDB;"" with another one still work the left windows button!

I think this is a bug I left in when developing as pure script instead of an addon. I'll fix this in the next release. I'm not sure about the exiting Arma -> can't access DT bug, I'll have to do some testing.

moduload fixed it, i guess it lacks a reinitialition code when loading a saved game

this was from my log

Error Zero divisor

File DrongosToolkit\Scripts\Start.sqf, line 113

Error in expression <_ln","_i"];

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

Error Missing ;

File DrongosToolkit\Scripts\Core\Functions\KRON_Strings.sqf, line 182

Error in expression <_ln","_i"];

File DrongosToolkit\Scripts\Core\UnderFire.sqf, line 16

Error: Failed to open file a3\sounds_f\weapons\hits\sscrack2.wav

I'm currently doing a total overhaul of this system and will probably release it as a new mod under a different name. The original "toolkit" name is because it started as a mission-building framework for OFP. The Arma 3 version has been whittled down to basically command functions, the next release will focus exclusively on squad control and platoon/company command. The command dialog will be intended as a supplement to BIS's high command, not an alternative.

I have also switched from execVM to call wherever possible. In my limited testing this has made a huge improvement to dialog speeds, the squad member list fills up near-instantly now. The other thing I want to improve is reporting enemy units, under fire, casualties, etc.

I'm currently doing a total overhaul of this system and will probably release it as a new mod under a different name. The original "toolkit" name is because it started as a mission-building framework for OFP. The Arma 3 version has been whittled down to basically command functions, the next release will focus exclusively on squad control and platoon/company command. The command dialog will be intended as a supplement to BIS's high command, not an alternative.

I have also switched from execVM to call wherever possible. In my limited testing this has made a huge improvement to dialog speeds, the squad member list fills up near-instantly now. The other thing I want to improve is reporting enemy units, under fire, casualties, etc.

Sounds really good drongo,will all the same fundimental features of the current tool kit transfer over?In its current state its already fully functional in my opinion.

One thing however i asked you before hope you can still add it,is the feature to disable squads throwing smoke grenades when loosing enough men.

Arma particles on the cpu are bad enough for most;)

ive been waiting for this mods resurrection :yay:

im using your mod together with WW AI MENU, most of its functions are dead but i only kept it because of the unstuck unit command which i can use anywhere and not just a module or script for some mission

if 'unstuck unit' comman is together with your mod + an auto medic heal friendly units within 50 meters of me

then by zues this is the best squad command mod there will ever be

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

oh and if possible a 'force AT squadmate to kill that AT infront of him comman' AIs are sometimes messed up i get pinned down or get killed by ATs from time to time

Only the squad menu and command menu functions will remain (mostly unchanged). General purpose scripts, random weather etc will all be cut out. I'll probably remove smoke throwing and leave it up to the player to select their own AI mod.

@xrook

What exactly does the unstuck do? How does it work? The medic idea is possible, I'll look at it once everything else is done.

The squad menu is working 99%, now I am working on the command menu.

Only the squad menu and command menu functions will remain (mostly unchanged). General purpose scripts, random weather etc will all be cut out. I'll probably remove smoke throwing and leave it up to the player to select their own AI mod.

@xrook

What exactly does the unstuck do? How does it work? The medic idea is possible, I'll look at it once everything else is done.

The squad menu is working 99%, now I am working on the command menu.

Cheers drongo.

I also use wwai menu.

The unstuck xrook is referring to is a feature to reset a units postion incase unit gets stuck in camo net,water,rock etc.Quite useful as if youve ever played a singleplayer scenario and an ai squadmate got stuck in position....ie couple ton tank on a 2meter high flimsy wall,and couldnt drive anywhere,this will reset position. Makes said unit vanish and reapear instantly staning up and slighty out of original position....ie,out of that cammo net he got entangled in

OK, an unstuck command should be very easy to do with just getPos and setPos.

The command system is now mostly integrated with High Command. You can use the HC menus or the old DT system to assign waypoints etc. It works pretty well.