Sign in to follow this  
Flogger23m

Takedown: Red Sabre

After playing the alpha the core gameplay left me with a Raven Shield feeling which I consider to be a good thing. How the final game ends up is still up for debate, but I am hoping for the best. As an SP player, the quality of the AI and command system will really be what makes or breaks the game for me. I hope today or tomorrow we will get more insight into how the SP, planning and AI/command system is.

I also really dislike the scope system (old ArmA 1/2 style) which is enough to make me not want to use scopes in Takedown just like I avoided them in ArmA 1/2. I really wanted RO2 style scopes, but would have been fine with ArmA 3/GRAW style scopes. I will be using Eotechs/iron sights exclusively unless I absolutely need a scope. :p

Here is another video I found on different forum:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l6nmnx/takedown--red-sabre-facility-map-first-look

Far better than the trailer. They need a video showing how the planning phase looks as that is a central feature of the genre. From what I understand it will be more like SWAT, with a 3D map (sort of like Raven Shield) but with no waypoint placing for AI.

I guess the answer is Ground Branch ;-)

I guess the answer is Ground Branch ;-)

Except isn't Ground Branch going to be MP-only -- at least at first? And going by the speed of development (that's not a dig or complaint), I don't imagine SP would happen for quite a while.

And while it resembles RS somehow I was expecting some more door stacking, breach'n'clear, go-codes and all that tacticool thing that made R6 so nice instead of tapping keys the expose little of your body and Takedown a clueless AI. I believe if you play with some like minded players it can be fun, but even CS can be tactical on those circumstances (and I mean it, go play some cs_office with friendly fire on, things get serious!). Anyway I'm not dropping this yet as the guy behind it has some pedigree.

Doors are openable if that is what you were asking. How the friendly AI works with it is unknown. Months back talk of "crack and frag" was thrown around, so lets hope that is in the final game.

A UDK screen shot of the map "facility":

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/9625225450_f06133af6a_b.jpg

I grabbed this off the Takedown forums:

it was mentioned in the last QA that the A.I. In Singleplayer primarily stay behind you and cover multiple angles and your back.

You can command them to Hold Position or Fall In/Regroup. The only other option you get in SP is to toggle the Rules of Engagement from Aggressive (A.I. will shoot any enemy it sees) or Defensive (A.I. will only shoot when they are fired upon).

Hmm, so how is AI supposed to perform, for example, something like "breach, bang and clear" from Swat 4? That was pretty cool...

Hmm, so how is AI supposed to perform, for example, something like "breach, bang and clear" from Swat 4? That was pretty cool...

They're not, I guess.

That's facesmack terrible. Seriously WTF. Hold/Fall In, Aggressive/Defensive...

AI is dead. Thanks BI for at least trying to advance them but I was really looking forward to a new generation of Swat4 level AI. This is why I hate MP -kills all incentive to better AI.

just goes to show no matter how much apparent demand there is, how much promise there is, and how much experience and dedigree there is. a much anticipated game can reveal itself to be dogturd just weeks before release. this may be the game that cures me of pre-ordering. seriously, can't trust any devs these days.

That's facesmack terrible. Seriously WTF. Hold/Fall In, Aggressive/Defensive...

AI is dead. Thanks BI for at least trying to advance them but I was really looking forward to a new generation of Swat4 level AI. This is why I hate MP -kills all incentive to better AI.

Have to agree with you.

It's all MP these days and with Adversarial MP (PvP) comes cheaters which is why I avoid it like the plague.

I would love to see another SWAT 4/R6 type game. Especially R6 up until RavenShield because the mission planner was awesome.

just goes to show no matter how much apparent demand there is, how much promise there is, and how much experience and pedigree there is. a much anticipated game can reveal itself to be dogturd just weeks before release. this may be the game that cures me of pre-ordering. seriously, can't trust any devs these days.

Preordering, Early access (the latest scam perpetrated by the gaming industry), no returns, no demos - these are all reasons to wait and see what the world says before buying.

I too have been guilty of preordering en masse but I rarely (if ever) do it anymore.

The gaming industry is full of nefarious types who are constantly finding new ways to part you from your money.

The early access scam (that Steam has been perpetuating) is something I absolutely will not support.

While I understand that it would probably be a good thing if human nature was a very different animal, as it stands, all you have to do is come up with 1/10th of a game and then you can sell it on Steam.

As far as I can tell, the developer is not obligated to release a finished product (someone can correct me if I am wrong about that) or at the very least, adhere to any kind of schedule.

Edited by BangTail

The AI is indeed a let down. The SP is not the focus of this game sadly, and instead the co-op is the focus. I intended on playing SP 95% or more of the time... I guess I will try co-op, but I much prefer AI to human players. I was really hoping for SWAT 4 or better friendly AI. If they sell enough copies there may be an addon or sequel that fleshes out the SP more. But for the time being, this is essentially a co-op title.

So if you liked playing co-op in R6/SWAT, then this should deliver.

The four pack bundle is up. Good for getting some friends to get into the game at a discount. Price is $45 for all four copies.

Some new videos:

Shows door breaching (although basic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zNUy...ature=youtu.be

Total Biscuit on Takedown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79C8...ature=youtu.be

Have to agree with you.

It's all MP these days and with Adversarial MP (PvP) comes cheaters which is why I avoid it like the plague.

I would love to see another SWAT 4/R6 type game. Especially R6 up until RavenShield because the mission planner was awesome.

Preordering, Early access (the latest scam perpetrated by the gaming industry), no returns, no demos - these are all reasons to wait and see what the world says before buying.

I too have been guilty of preordering en masse but I rarely (if ever) do it anymore.

The gaming industry is full of nefarious types who are constantly finding new ways to part you from your money.

The early access scam (that Steam has been perpetuating) is something I absolutely will not support.

While I understand that it would probably be a good thing if human nature was a very different animal, as it stands, all you have to do is come up with 1/10th of a game and then you can sell it on Steam.

As far as I can tell, the developer is not obligated to release a finished product (someone can correct me if I am wrong about that) or at the very least, adhere to any kind of schedule.

I detest the direction the game industry is going and at this point I will NOT pre-order,early access, digital deluxe....etc, buying part of a game and then being sold the rest in DLC is BS. I find it amazing that so many people buy into this which just devolves the quality and depth of a lot of future release if all they have to do is repackage the same old game and sell it to you again complete with bugs.

sadly i think that most of the people who buying into this are impressionable and naive kids who watch the over blown videos and hear all the hype and cant resist the next shiny thing that go's BOOM!

They're not, I guess.

:(

So I guess it's safe to say that SP portion of the game won't be terribly tactical.

The AI is indeed a let down. The SP is not the focus of this game sadly, and instead the co-op is the focus. I intended on playing SP 95% or more of the time... I guess I will try co-op, but I much prefer AI to human players. I was really hoping for SWAT 4 or better friendly AI. If they sell enough copies there may be an addon or sequel that fleshes out the SP more. But for the time being, this is essentially a co-op title.

So if you liked playing co-op in R6/SWAT, then this should deliver.

Since I loved playing co-op in R6/SWAT, here's hoping that co-op will meet my expectations (which are pretty low at the moment).

Regarding preordering, I guess the only other game I will preorder will be Ground branch.

*Sorry. Emoticon suitable for conveying the magnitude of this fail are unavailable at this time*

*Thank you!*

Yeah, I tried a bit of single player and then uninstalled the game for now. Pretty disappointing. Oh well, it's not like I don't have other games to play and other things to do. Plus, they got my $15 during the Kickstarter, so I lost that money a long time ago.

I have not played it yet, but it looks like the alpha build still. Very sad. I'll be sure to leave a detailed review here when I get the chance though I am positive it will not be a good one.

http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3019-read-before-posting-message-from-serellan-and-faqs/

This is also intentional design due to the realistic and hardcore nature of the game.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! Spectacular cop-out.

I've decided not to pay my taxes from now on. When the IRS arrives to audit me and asks why I didn't file, I'll just reply with - "It was intentional and due to the hardcore nature of myself".

TotalBiscuit on the release state of takedown.

Very Sad.

Even where he states the AI are 'good' and doing there job -that looks insanely boring. So you have an AI just standing around obscure areas and they shoot back -wow. Seriously did the guys that did R6/Swat Ai all those years ago just die out taking their knowledge with them? Do these AI do anything remotely interesting besides just standing around waiting for the player? If your going to build police style coop shooter -AI is paramount!!!!

Funny, I started digging into AI threads from old titles and theres quite a bit calling Swat 4 AI dumb or retarded -they didn't know how good they had it! Another absolute gem of a game I forgot about was No One Lives Forever http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-operative-no-one-lives-forever -awesome, hilarious game with really, really good AI

The artificial intelligence (AI) in NOLF was significantly advanced at the time of the game's release. Enemy AI can react to eleven different stimuli, including hearing the player's footsteps or weapon firing, seeing the player's footprints in the snow, or hearing an ally scream in pain. The AI can try and investigate the source of these stimuli, by following the footprints for example, and can sound alarms or call for backup. During combat, the AI finds cover positions, and, to some extent, can also use its environment for protection, such as flipping over a table and hiding behind it.[32] After advancing AI technology in their subsequent games, Monolith likened the way NOLF's AIs pop randomly in and out of cover to a shooting gallery.[32] Groups of AI guards make use of a group logic when investigating and combating the player. For example, one guard might start firing at the player, while another runs and calls for backup. The game's AI includes friendly and enemy humans, as well as dogs, sharks, and helicopters.

Just stellar- wheres the evolution?