Sign in to follow this  
hoak

Turning Speed

While ArmA 3 Alpha doesn't appear to have infinite turning speed, the speed to a 180° turn (or greater) still approaches arcade fantasy speeds for a armored and encumbered infantryman. Kinesiology as applied in Military Science to the study of tactical movement, weapon handling, stress, and marksmanship performance illustrates the disconnect here in ArmA 3 scale.

Generally the speed of movement in ARMA 3 feels about right for traversing a handgun, SMG, light carbine or assault rifle for about 40° (or less), at greater angles where the Operator is rotating his torso to the limit of extension, and still greater his hips and legs, and still greater to where he has to improve his stance by stepping -- turning speed should be progressively reduced.

It would also be a good measure against arcade movement and 'gaming the game' to have negative acceleration at certain limits to avoid 'snap turns' etc.. Fast head eye movement to improve peripheral view via the ArmA head movement is still available and a much more realistic approach to this -- though even it might be improved by adding dynamic FOV on head/eye axis movement to better model how we see...

Edited by Hoak

Aim Deadzone would be one way to help with this but currently it doesn't work properly (see sig)

It would be interesting to see how it would feel to have the mouse control weapon and torso only (like aim deadzone but gun still locked to centre) and make the legs follow more slowly. ie. you can turn about 90 degrees quickly with your upper body but going further would be slower as your legs have to move to turn you.

Doubt it will change though...

Edited by EDcase

I dont think they will fix it. It will stay CoD-like.

One of the main reasons why I dislike ArmA 3, but the twitch-shooter guys are the majority. They like it.

I'm pretty sure in the heat of the moment, with your life at risk... you would be able to turn around at a snap of a finger... even when wearing 40 pounds of gear.

Aim Deadzone would be one way to help with this but currently it doesn't work properly (see sig)
I've held a view ever since this was reported that to me, it appears that Arma 3 was just not made with aiming deadzone in mind (in the sense of "designed around aiming deadzone") and that it was just left in after someone decided that the devs would catch more flak for leaving it out altogether than for doing such an incomplete/"broken" implementation... that to me is the main impediment to any fix that involves aiming deadzone or "free aim".