Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

VTS Ballistic

Hi,

This server side mod, make the wind affecting infantry projectiles.

Clients doesn't need to run it (only if they want to use it in singleplayer).

We were bored for the wind to be yet fully implemented in A3 :o , so as an appetizer I made this. All client joining the server with this addons will have to handle the wind on their projectiles. Because engaging enemies above 500 meters is not a good habit to be used to.

Why the wind is so important ? Because the wind is a game changer.

While bringing a new depth to the firefight it also bring balance to the game, it makes tracers bullets useful, increase the weather impact on a mission, and makes terrain usage more crucial and stop the high mighty power of players over AIs on long range.

AI projectiles are not affected by wind (for obvious balance reason, with the current state of A3).

The motion formula is not 100% accurate but the result are no so far from the the real life physic. Its still open for improvements and future updates, but keep in mind that this mod is more for waiting till BIS implemented the promised wind simulation on A3.

It requires CBA for Arma 3.

Installation :

-Extract @VTS_ballistic folder into your Arma 3 server installation

-Launch arma server with the shortcut -mod=@CBA_A3;@VTS_ballistic

(-Optional you can use the vts_ballistic_test mp mission to try it out with different wind forces)

Here a quick preview with different calibers and the debug mode activated to see projectiles trajectories (the green path are debug) with a cross path wind of ~20 km/h. (The mission is available for testing in the package)

Release 01:

-Initial release

Available Release 01 here

Edited by L etranger

The video is very impressive. Hopefully, BIS will get this in the game soon, but until then, I'll be using this. :)

pffffff this is going on our dedicated asap. good job man, keep the VTS stuff coming ;)

Here's a small suggestion on how to balance AI with this mod active

The bigger the wind - the higher the AI dispersion. Obviously you need to balance max dispersion limit at max wind but it's a good start.

Very nice, GREAT work, will test right away!

Yay!

Nice one!

I am only wondering why the LAW works as it is shown.

Greetings

Oh and regarding rpgs - I read some time ago that rpgs behave different than bullets. For example they dont get pushed away from wind but "turn into the wind". Therefore they turn into the wind rather then the opposite.

Just wanted you to know that with the latest development build (that has full Beta content) your Mod does not work anymore... I have no real way to test it, but I noticed the little pop up disclaimer that came up when it was active doesn't show anymore when I load a mission, so I guess the Mod is not working...

There's so much to do in the Beta, so don't worry if you can or want not to fix this anytime soon! :D

Yay!

Can't wait to try this. One question though - is there a simple wind indicator (queryable by keypress) like in ACE?

Only when you are using weapon resting mod together with this one. But weapon resting isn't working after today's update either.

Do you get any error message ?
No, both your mods simply do not work anoymore...

Yay!

Maybe it's just an CBA issue then. Because if CBA is broken the mod will not work. I'll try to take look this weekend to see if the issue is to CBA or the addons

You are probably right, since it seems that CBA gathered quite a few bugs with the new Beta content update...

Yay!

Nice one!

I am only wondering why the LAW works as it is shown.

Greetings

Oh and regarding rpgs - I read some time ago that rpgs behave different than bullets. For example they dont get pushed away from wind but "turn into the wind". Therefore they turn into the wind rather then the opposite.

Regarding the law, I think it's cable guided?

Re: RPGs, any rocket with a tail fin will be deflected IN to the wind direction, any rocket with no fin will go WITH the wind direction, and any rocket with a fin at the front will go WITH the wind direction at great haste! This is because the fins change the orientation of the rocket whilst the effect of the wind on a finless rocket will be purely on the direction of the rocket (with a negligible effect on orientation).

@L etranger: Outlawled, the author of the Mag Repack Mod, found that the issue is with CBA not loading the scripts: here is the original post he made

I think the problem might be CBA.

I tested my mod, which uses CBA's Extended Post-Init EventHandlers to run the Mag Repack scripts initially, and it didn't work, so I tested my scripts by themselves, calling them from a mission script, and they worked fine.

Guess we will just have to wait for CBA autors to fix their Mod for Beta content...

Yay!

Re: RPGs, any rocket with a tail fin will be deflected IN to the wind direction, any rocket with no fin will go WITH the wind direction, and any rocket with a fin at the front will go WITH the wind direction at great haste! This is because the fins change the orientation of the rocket whilst the effect of the wind on a finless rocket will be purely on the direction of the rocket (with a negligible effect on orientation).

It's even a bit more difficult - it depends on whether the projectile has a rocket motor that ignites only after exiting the launcher (e.g. RPG-7 AFAIK?), or if it burns out completely inside the launcher (e.g. RPG-29 and some western designs, AFAIK). IIRC the RPG-7 designs have motors that ignite after the launch (with initial momentum impaired by a small powder charge), so they are even more suspectible to crosswinds (as the projectile is still under its own power when it's affected by the wind). However how is that (burnout time, acceleration profile, etc) simulated in Armaverse I honestly don't have a clue :)

Anyway, desperately waiting for your addon to work again (or CBA for that matter, since it seems all sorts of essential mods like yours, STHUD,etc are broken now).

My guess is that as soon as CBA gets fixed all Mods will start working as before...

Yay!

Haven't tested it yet but I can already see this is great stuff, thanks for making and sharing!

/KC

Regarding the law, I think it's cable guided?

In real life NLAW uses Predicted Line of Sight (PLOS) guidance which means the missile constantly adjusts its trajectory to match a programmed flight-path.

The operator tracks the target for three seconds using an optical sight, and during this time a series of motion-sensors in the launcher measure the rate at which the operator is changing the azimuth and elevation of his Line of Sight in order to keep the sight reticle aligned on the target. This information is used to calculated the trajectory of the target vehicle, and a computer generates a flight profile for the missile that will intercept the target's trajectory at any distance in the interval 20m to 600m from the launch position.

Once launched, the missile turns itself to maintain the calculated flight profile at all times without any input from the operator, and AFAIK this involves the missile self-correcting for any lateral acceleration due to wind. It'll either explode when impacting on the target (direct mode) or when the target sets off the missile's proximity fuze (overfly top-attack mode). Not exactly sure what type of proximity-fuze it uses to detect when it is overflying a target vehicle - think it's probably similar to the dual-mode optical and magnetic proximity sensors on the BILL 2 missile.

Obviously though, this isn't how the NLAW works ingame ;)

Once beta is out and CBA_A3 updated the addons will work fine :)

ok seeing as im getting no where asking in my own thread how do you eneable the bullet degbug mode shown in your demo video?

Ok I give up. I've installed the mod and tried to play the test mission and keep getting item missing. I have installed latest cba and it does not work.