Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy123

Hairline gaps in roads using Road Painter 2

I've been having a few slight issues with roadpainter, the biggest being small gaps in the roads. I referred back to bl's post (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?128340-Road-Painter-2&p=2295861&viewfull=1#post2295861) about setting the texture base to double, or quadruple the default value. Originally i had it set to quadruple but did not realize that this made the value invalid. Unfortunately i had already painted my roads in by this point, and that's when i noticed the gaps. I went back and set it to double, which was valid, but still have the gaps in game.

Would this mean I need to redo the roads again on a map that has the double base texture? Or is this perhaps another issue?

here are some pics to show what i mean ingame

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/andrew_voorhees32/ArmA2OA2013-06-0412-48-52-35_zps4fcecfdb.png (1170 kB)

Are all the roads this way? One thing I noticed is that as things get closer to the upper right corner of the terrain the less accurately you can place them due to visitor only saving a certain number of places in the coordinates (ex. you can have 1.99292 but not 10.99392 because it will round it. It only saves 6 or 7 digit places). I'm not sure if that is what is happening here though.

most of the roads are this way, and it appears in about of a third of the road sections i would say. I'm going to redo a few roads tonight and see if anything changes now that i changed texture base value to a valid number. I think it also might be due to be editing hills and valleys and then reimporting the roads into visitor, but i guess i'll have to wait and see

I noticed a while back that the large triangulated gaps problem people were having with Homers RP2 was actually due to the Base Texture layer thing - the hairline gaps, on the other hand, I suspect may be something to do with the fact that in RP2, each road is essentially a free-floating object - they're not actually "snapped" together as such - unlike the more traditional "roadnet" approach - where each road is an entity in itself, with a beginning and end, and can be moved around, edited and copied 'n pasted all you like...

With RP2 and the "string of loose objects" style the individual road sections are much more prone to disturbance via heightmap editing, for example... I've heard these microgaps blamed on the road smoothing process too...

Until A3 and we're all obsessed with shapefiles, I generally prefer to stick to the more traditional "road networks"

That doesn't mean you need to go back to using the built-in and occasionally handy section-by-section tool - Homers previous RoadPainter 1 isn't nearly as elegant or configurable as RP2, though it uses the same laying roads in-game style as the new version, but it's big difference is, it outputs legitimate roadnet import files...

You can grab a copy of all the versions of the original RoadPainter 1 from my website (Resources & Tutorials section) where you'll also find a link to the original RoadPainter 1 thread - a Must Read!

I use the "Camtest Beta" version...

In general, it's a bit more fuss than the new RP2, but once you have your roads down and in - you're done - you can run the "smooth roads" script on them in the traditional and usually reasonably effective manner...

B

excellent summary of the issues bl. If you think that the slight gaps are due to heightmap editing, and i think they may be, i may just finalize my height map and repaint a few roads and see if that solves the problem. If not, rp 1 sounds like the next step.

I redid one road on the map, without touching the heightmap at all. However, there was still the ocasional hairline gap, though there seemed to be fewer of them. Hopefully roadpainter 1 is the solution to this problem