Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Question about Steam - updating .Have limited useage.

My understanding is that ArmA3 is only going to be available through Steam. Fine for those with unlimited band width and constant download speeds > 400 MB/s. I don't.

I have VERY expensive Internet (Rogers HUB) and basically a 10G cap (flex plan but at 10G the cost would be about $120.00). In my rural area there is no alternative other than a $7,000 80' tower for wireless.

I have a lap top and a desk top.

Question: If I install Steam on my desk top to play , when it's time to download ArmA3 or any patches , can I copy the Steam folder onto the lap top and take it into the office (where I have access to unlimited ADSL) to perform the download functions then copy it back onto the desk top.

Also , if possible to do that , is there a way to simply copy over the updated files rather than the entire Steam folder?

Or, better still , will there be an alternative way to get the game instead of using Steam?

Txs

Yes you can download the files on one machine and copy the files into another, but you need to install Steam on PC#1 and after copying the files, validate them on PC#2.

If you figure out what files changed you could do that, but I would go for a safe bet and copy the whole thing.

No, only Steam.

Steam has a build in Backup function that should work fine. Just backup your version at home (Steam > Backup and restore) and put it on your laptop with the same menu.

Steam has a build in Backup function that should work fine. Just backup your version at home (Steam > Backup and restore) and put it on your laptop with the same menu.

True, but I don't know if it copy everything or you have to download something later. Never used it.

Anyway, isn't a big deal.

What Smurf said about copying, I'll post monitors on it tonight but it tends to involve copying the Arma 3 folder within the Common subfolder of the Steamapps folder.

Smurf's method has worked for me when transferring games between friends over LAN so only one person has to download the files. Basic steps that work for me (for a fresh install):

1) On the PC you want to install the game to - your "gaming PC" - go to the library.

2) Find the game in the list, right click and "Install Game"

3) As soon as it starts downloading click "Pause All Downloads". There should now be a folder wherever Steam is installed - for me this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

4) On the PC with Internet access - your "work PC" - download the game using steps 1-3 above.

5) Once it is done, replace the entire folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 on your gaming PC from the work PC.

6) Once copying is complete, click "resume downloads" on your gaming machine. It should quite rapidly go to 100% and you should be good to play.

It sounds like you know how to turn automatic updates off... i.e. right click on the game >> properties >> updates tab >> select "Do not automatically update this game".

To get the updates you should just be able to replace the folder on your gaming PC from your work PC as per step 5 above. As others have said you may need to verify the files by right clicking on the game in the library >> properties >> local files >> verify integrity of game cache, but I haven't tested so don't know if this is necessary.

I can also verify that this works and when I do fresh Windows installs on my computers I copy my steam common folder to an external HDD and copy it back. You don't need to follow @mecharius' steps above. Just copy the folders across when Steam is off then start it up and it should auto-detect.

Any problems, you just right click your game click Properties, Local Files tab, and Verify Integrity of Game Cache. It will check all your files and download only the ones that are busted. Shouldn't use much b/w.

Fortunately I have fast, unlimited internet - City woot

They said what I was going to say, haha. Here is an official Steam Support article on the general rule for moving Steam installations, though if you have two separate Steam installs -- one on each computer -- then you should be able to just move over the Arma 3 game folder (inside the Common subfolder of the SteamApps folder) and the appmanifest_107410.acf file (which goes inside the SteamApps folder).

Keep in mind what's said at the bottom, the Arma 3 folder in My Documents (the one with your non-PBO'd missions that can be loaded up in the Editor, your mission save files, your profile(s), your config file) is not automatically copied or moved to the other computer, so if you want to copy or move that folder you'd have to do so manually.