Sign in to follow this  
hellR1de

Constant stutter during game

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has already been posted here, but has anyone who played the game recently come across this issue? I hadn't played for a while (been mostly on Heart of the Swarm and XCOM. The latter is so addictive! :-P ) but when I decided to get back to it today, I find it unplayable, as the keeps stuttering, every 1-2 seconds. Heck! Even the NVidia logo at the beginning does that! It sure didn't do that the last time I played.

My config hasn't change since last time, aside for two things : 1- NVidia drivers have been updated. Game was at 1.02 when I last played and now, it is at 1.05. So far, here is what I've tried :

* Stopped every non-essential services and background tasks.

* lowered game visual settings to minimum.

* reverted my GPU clock to its default speed.

Anyone who could provide me with some insights, I would greatly appreciate! I've been eager for the last few days to get back to this game but now, this is quite disappointing... Here are my current system specs :

- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

- Intel Q8400 Quad Core @3.44 GHz

- 8 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2

- EVGA GTX 580 SC, 1368 Gb GDDR5 (drivers : 320.18)

- 4x Seagate Barracuda 500Gb, 7200.12, mounted in RAID 5

- Creative Lab X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series

Thanks again in advance

Anybody? BI devs? Please, this has become unbearable...

Actually, I do get the occasional stutter, although not as bad as yours. Every ten or so seconds I get a short hiccup, which I am sure wasn't there in the last alpha release. It's nothing that makes the game unplayable but it can be annoying.

EDIT: You might want to try the dev build, I think that cured it for me.

Edited by Alwarren

Actually, I do get the occasional stutter, although not as bad as yours. Every ten or so seconds I get a short hiccup, which I am sure wasn't there in the last alpha release. It's nothing that makes the game unplayable but it can be annoying.

EDIT: You might want to try the dev build, I think that cured it for me.

Thanks Alwarren. Where can I get that build? What's strange is that among all those tests I made last night, at one time, and one only, the intro played flawlessly, but then something kicked in it seems, and started to stutter again.

EDIT: I have the Steam version by the way. IS it possible to revert to a specific version of the game, in order to test?

Edited by hellR1de

Me thinks Alwarren might have been talking about Arma3 alpha and it's dev build. I'm not using the steam version so I'm not sure if you can roll back with it.

Me thinks Alwarren might have been talking about Arma3 alpha and it's dev build. I'm not using the steam version so I'm not sure if you can roll back with it.

If it was indeed anout Arma 3, then it is of little help to me. :P However, without rolling back, is it at least possible to re-install the game from scratch, without patches applied to it? If I disable auto-update, for instance...

Not sure about CC on steam, but with Tomb Raider, thay made it so you could roll back to the previous version by making it a beta you had to opt into from your library.

I used to get stuttering any time the enemy carrier or the barque were approaching, but I haven't noticed that lately. I do still get little hiccups when a piece of dialogue loads, like "we found another firewall" or things like that.

Just saw your name in the 1.03 patch release notes, Species. Maybe you can help me. Regarding that shaders' cache problem, I remember Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142, where they recommended flushing the shaders' cache, whenever we updated our display drivers, as it could cause some odd graphical issues and/or performance. There were some hidden files you just had to delete. Is there a similar way to flush the shaders' cache for CCGM?

I have no idea how they did it, I only know that by going straight from the release cd to the latest update (at the time), the game would fail to launch. I found that by going through the updates one at a time, I managed to get it working. The devs didn't understand why this was working for me, the files being updated were supposed to be the same. Then they told me that they had found the problem and it was added to the next update.

Thanks. Are those patches supposed to be complete, or incremental? If Steam gives me too much trouble, I guess I'll just find one cheap physical copy on the web. I've gradually abandoned physical media during the last year and I was hoping to go completely digital, but if the patching process is not always very stable with this one, as I can read, I'll just get the boxed game That way at least, I'll have more control...

They are supposed to be complete, but I think there are things that may have been skipped. Currently there are some people who have a missing tech slider bar when starting a new strategy game and I suspect this is something that got missed with the last beta update.

Thanks. Are those patches supposed to be complete, or incremental? If Steam gives me too much trouble, I guess I'll just find one cheap physical copy on the web. I've gradually abandoned physical media during the last year and I was hoping to go completely digital, but if the patching process is not always very stable with this one, as I can read, I'll just get the boxed game That way at least, I'll have more control...

Please look at this post. Maybe its a help. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155793-1-05-released&p=2407902&viewfull=1#post2407902

Search in the steam community forum, about "playing offline". There should be something, I found it in the italian section, so I presume it is of no use for you. But you can play definitly offline the game. Which at that precise moment would be theoretically completly on your harddisc.

Edited by Antares

*** I'm overriding my original post below. I just remembered (and confirmed) what causes my game to stutter. The only time I see stuttering is when the enemy carrier is nearby. It does not matter if my sensors have detected it or not. It just has to be in the general area. So what I wrote below is moot. Sorry.

I'm currently playing a strategy game. I just finished the campaign a few days ago. I'm using version 1.04. I didn't get any stuttering during the campaign but the strategy game stutters constantly (at 1/2 second frequency). It's like the graphics are ticking and is very annoying especially when trying to aim at a moving target. I can see it in-game both in 1st person view and the map (icons moving across map plus the radar sweep). The intro is fluid. Until playing the current strategy game I never had any stutter. The only thing that has changed is upgrading my NVidia card.

Edited by scrapser

Is this happening at all times and on all islands? I have noticed sometimes when the enemy carrier or supply barque are approaching your location, this stuttering sometimes happens.

Is this happening at all times and on all islands? I have noticed sometimes when the enemy carrier or supply barque are approaching your location, this stuttering sometimes happens.

For me it always happens with the enemy carrier being somewhere nearby. I actually forgot about it when I first wrote my post above, then while playing the game afterwards (I had a saved game where the stuttering was happening) the carrier appeared...I fought it off and it left...and after a few minutes the stuttering stopped. I never get it with the barque and the island doesn't matter. In the game I'm currently playing I'm at Lingard.

Here are my system specs:

CM HAF 932 case

ASUS Sabertooth X79

Intel i7 3930K SB-E

16 GB Samsung RAM 1600

EVGA GTX 590

Silverstone Strider 1200W PSU

NEC 24" MultiSync 2490 WUXi monitor

Win7 Home Pro 64-bit

Edited by scrapser