Sign in to follow this  
joschaap

[MP] [COOP/DM] GoT Wasteland v2 (Enhanced-edition)

well arma3 runs and i can update steam again.

all my hardware gets detected and i have a start button again :D

ss (over 100k): http://i.imgur.com/HWy8zmQ.jpg

just all the small software things that need some time to find and re-configure :)

Edited by JoSchaap
added info

So shall we be expecting any updates in the near future to this wasteland?

well i got everything setup and am working on getting all the errors out :)

you can follow progress on the github page (issue lists)

a testbuild is running on the Daytime server (DEVBRANCH)

So basically what normally happens in Wasteland these days is that you spend 10 minutes travelling just to find some equipments, than you may die after a few minutes, or spend half an hour ambushing just for some players to show up, and this procedure is somewhat annoying. Let's discuss how to improve player experience.

General setting:

(1)It would be a good idea to place two permanent faction bases on opposing sides of the map with equal distance to areas like Air Field or Old Transmission Station. Note that I'm talking about bases with walls, gates, sentry towers, houses, bunkers, stores, weapon crates(empty) and light vehicles, so that players could really feel attached to them. The base can not be taken by enemies players and there would be alarm if enemies enter a location within 500ms to the base. The base also serves as an essential spawn location for players, and encourages players to stop killing teammates, which drives them into Independent. You can resupply all the basic infantry equipments, rifles, ammo, scopes, in the base without risking getting killed before even becoming combat effective and this will help save the wasted time mentioned earlier.

(2)Natural zones with small seizable bases should be placed in the area between the two opposing bases. Once occupied, it will alert players if enemies approach the area, giving friendly players an idea where to find enemies, and enemy players where to harass you. It would be ideal if the bases are set up on high grounds to provide overwatch for nearby territory. Also note that Independents cannot occupy any area. To further encourage players to fight in natural zones, most missions are to be placed in or near them.

(3)Stores selling high end equipments like APCs or explosives should be placed in the natural zones. Independent players spawn near the natural zones so that they can either ambush factioned players when they try to get some decent firepower, or take advantage when two factions are fighting each other.

(4)Vehicles with thermal vision are vary OP in the game right now, they can spot hidden enemies from 1000m in seconds and eliminate them in even less time. So it is advisable that such vehicles are to be removed from Wasteland until the official game provide us with non-thermal versions of the vehicles. As a result, APCs need to be accompanied by infantries.

(5)Weathers: Currently there's no rainy weather in Wasteland. A lighting storm can cover up weapon firing sound, therefore providing cover for players.

(6)Spawning conditions: All basic gears including helmet, backpack, carrier, NV goggle, rifle and holo sight.

I agree. Until there is the large map which will be a survival. This battle ready wasteland sounds really fun. :)

Yashamaru, that's a good idea! that would definitely make it more attractive Wasteland and prepare more joy to players.. ;-)

Thx! A combat ready wasteland would really make the fight more interesting! I normally play on a server in which you are given backpack and NV upon spawning, so players would not have to spend too long preparing, and last time our team got a big base, two helis patrolling, two tanks ramming everybody in sight, that was just fantastic!!!

Loving this mod! I don't know if this has already been asked, but I'm curious; has anyone started developing a save style database (much like the "host your own dayz server's) to run this with so that any objects you have already placed down aren't lost upon server restarts? I ask because I am planning on playing this with a bunch of friends on a server I want to host and would like thinks to still be there for the next time we play?

@danet there is optional base saving in the mission all you need is a server running the @inidb mod and enable basesaving in the GoT_Settings.sqf file

Thanks I shall give that a look! Is there a way to stop certain vehicles de-spawning? I built a base with some vehicles in, went halfway across the map to find some other things and when I can back the vehicles had de-spawned? I know on dayz mod (obviously because of the saving database) you have the save vehicle option, I'm assuming this is something that's not quite planned?

Also, I am running this server from my pc, so obviously it shuts down when I come off the game, does inidb still work with that? Or is it only on a persistent server?

Edited by danet88

abandonned and/or destroyed vehicles are respawned after a while, this is to make sure everyone has a proper chance on finding a vehicle if you stay near it, it wont despawn.

I never test using a self-hosted game, i gues inidb would work, but it will only save locked baseparts that have been locked for atleast 10 minutes and they will respawn in unlocked state. (you'd have to lock them again to make sure it will survive another restart) :)

Ahh I see, thanks for the info! Not sure if I've managed to get it set up correctly (absolutely useless at this stuff). I'll pop over to the thread and have a look and see if I can work it out. Cheers for the help!

Looks good Jo man. I like that a bunch of developers are coming together for Altis. Can't wait to see what you guys churn out!

Just want to know if we would have 1st person only Wasteland server in the coming future? It would really be a game changer!

well, that's really up the the server admins :)

the dificulty settings are to be set by the server-admin, this also includes markers, waypoints, AI dificulty, crosshairs and third person view

Thx! Right now there are so many empty servers running yet none seems to be 1st person only, on the other hand there are some servers filled with players that the fps is pathetic. This is totally a waste of resources and I just hope that I could have access to at least one 1st person server.

Most people will scoff at this question but would you be able to add a revive system in say for example you have 20s to revive some one or they will die and possibly a cool down to how often a person can revive, I think this would make some fire fights last longer and be a little more intense. leave these as configurable options so that server admins that are not fond of the idea don't have to enable it.

Cheers,

DarkJesus

I would like to edit the amount of money that is available to new spawns but I can not find the place to do it. can someone help me with how to do that. Is there a way to allow for players in a group to spawn on the group leader? I have seen player saves on other servers and have had no luck finding out how to enable this.

thanks for the help.

@ everyone - since GoT Wasteland is on hiatus due to us (KoS, TPG, GoT, 404) combining forces it's abit quiet here..

some news/info and teasers from the a3wasteland front can be found here: http://forums.a3wasteland.com/index.php?topic=3.msg8#msg8

@jamie - i've added it to our idea bucket! (as a optional feature admins can enable though)

@epso - we have to move it due to players respawning that dropped all their money on the debug island. its now here: https://github.com/JoSchaap/GoT_Wasteland_V2.Stratis/blob/master/client/functions/spawnAction.sqf#L11

@JoSchaap - Thanks for the quick reply. Is there and word on the Squad spawns and Player Saves or how to get them to work?

imho player saves only lead to combat logging and other issues, also inidb is txt base so in the end you'll end up with a server loading a txtfile that will grow enourmously slowing things down.

its ok-ish for basesaving but not for huge ammounts of data. altis is straining the server too much as it is allready.

Spawn on squadleader might be a nice idea, but we do have working spawn beacons now (see the video's in the link i posted above), which the entire team/group can use, which i think is a more balanced sollution :)

Just to make it clear, all of the current GoT Wasteland missions running on ALTIS are NOT made by me or Team-Wasteland, even 'if' named GoT / JoSchaap.

We cannot warrant a good game/performance in there, please await the release of the new Altis Wasteland (by Team-Wasteland) mission since Altis requires quite some recoding!

I understand it's taking some time but that's because of the conversion to a base misison with API functionality for serveradmins/mission modders, as-well as recoding most functions due to poor performance on altis

More info and some teasers can be found on our new website/forums

http://a3wasteland.com

Edited by JoSchaap

Thank you that was the answer I was looking for. I feel on occasions close quarters combat can get stale as it can be over instantly for certain players this will make people want to push harder or fortify better. This will also lower the chance that a random sniper can ruin your day quite so much. Possibly lower the irritation of starting all over form stupid mistakes.

It will also as a side product push the point in creating bases as it would be a secure place to fight from and when downed give cover for reviving.

Optional feature is the way to go as its not to every ones taste.

That being said I could quite easily see this becoming the norm as it would get rid of a lot of irritation from playing waste land that turns a lot of new players off.

Cheers,

DarkJesus