Sign in to follow this  
Yogi

Helicopter spins hard at low velocities ... bug, feature or did I forget anything?

Heya,

so far I had my fair share of fun with ToH flying mostly the light helicopter at Veteran difficulty.

However when I switched to the Medium helicopter I am having a very hard time controlling it at low velocities. I need to instantly put the tail rotor rudders almost to almost 75% in order to avoid an uncontrollable spin to the right. The spinning doesn't stop until I reach forward velocities of about 60 to 70.

I encountered the same problem with the Hind, however there the spin is just the other way round to the left.

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and the have rudder mapped to the grip axes on the throttle (the stick rudder axis is unmapped) and it is properly calibrated and a TrackIR3 for head movements.

So ... am I missing something here? I was actually asking myself if I had accidently disabled some auto trimming of the rudder, but the spin is way too strong. Or is it simply a feature of those two helicopters? It does not happen on the light helicopter and I haven't tried it out on the heavy one yet.

Thanks in advance ...

This is caused by changes in main rotor torque. It is a feature. The reason the hind pulls the opposite direction is its main rotor rotates in the opposite direction. You might have noticed that there are all kinds of crazy force imbalances at different power settings / airspeeds. You can set the helicopter for a particular flight condition using the force trim.

OIC, thanks. Using force trim? Is that in the difficulty settings or something I can set in the helicopter itself?

It's a control you can set. When you press the button for force trim, it 'recentres' your controls so you don't have to keep holding the joystick over.

Okay, I'll check that out again, many thanks!

I know this is an old thread but the issue is not. I just wanted to say thanks to both of you. I just spent the last 30 mins thinking my new CH pedals were knackered and it wasn't till I added a massive dead zone and it was still happening I started to think maybe it was the actual helicopter. Didn't realize the choppers in Arma3 had gotten that advanced tbh. Thanks for the reassurance.