kroni

A Little Help With Some Clutter Troubleshooting

so it's sorted now? all working?

D

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

OK,

So Kroni, this is the shit, right here, that you need to know.. step by step:

step 1. Open L3DT I opened your terrain file

step 2. I clicked on the "Heightfield" tab (making it the active map layer)

step 3. File -> Export -> Export active map layer

step 4. In the "File format drop down select XYZ, click the [...] button next to the "File name" space and navigate to your desired location, type in your file name an click on "Save"

step 5. Check the box for Re-size for export and making sure the "Lock aspect ratio" box is checked, change the value to 2048 (it should change both for you now) then click [OK].

Step 6. Open up V3 and go to Project -> New to get your dialogue box "Project parameters" open

step 7. Terrain grid size (this has to be the same as the grid size in L3DT) so yin the drop down get 2048 x 2048 selected.

step 8. Terrain cell size (this is the size of each 'tile' of terrain in V3) you want the map to be 20480m square, so the cell size needs to be 10m (2048 tiles each one being 10m = 20480m) note the Terrain size box that is greyed out will show you how large your terrain is in meters now)

step 9. Satallite Grid (I'm not really sure about this but the suggested settings come up with 96, that will give you your 512px sq tiles that each overlap by 32px and it seems to work for me...) the satellite segment box at the very bottom should also say 96 and next to it, it should now say "(valid)" click OK

step 10. go to project -> Import terrain from XYZ and navigate your way to your saved XYZ file and click open.

now wait for a few moments, minutes, whatever, sometimes it freezes up, some times it just does the trick....

that should clear things up for you a little more, and show you how L3DT relates to V3 in terms of sizing and so on...

BEWARE the file I sent to you earlier has a grid of 1024 and a cell size of 20m, which is not ideal, so you might want to follow this through and do it the right way to have your 2048 grid with 10m cell sizes!

I hope this works for you! you should be able to simply apply all the sat and mask layers and shit to it with no hassel too, I would even suggest backing up your current working file and just importing the 2048 XYZ, i tried it earlier and it changed the settings for me, just re check them all by going to Tools -> Project parameters, and checking all the values are as they should be (see steps 7 to 9).

D

I applied all the sat maps to the file you sent me and it just inhertited the correct grid sizes and stuff which is awesome. But still L3DT is nothing like what bulldozer shows me. Still a completley flat terrain, im allmost certain there is a big problem here, and maybe i need to start again from scratch. Which is alot of time wasted.. but hey i am learning so i guess its probably for the better :/

Dude...

I just put your terrain into V3 and threw it up on Buldozer for a bit of a shufty, and it has depth, it's got hills and coasts and all sorts, i got a screenshot, there is no ground textures or anything, but you can see it works...

kroni-island_zps821c61f6.jpg

D

Yeah for mee i couldnt get any hills, it was comepletly flat... i just started a knew terrain (same size) In l3dt, becuase i couldnt figure out why everyone i sent the files too could see hills and i couldnt. Even have i had changed the settings, and evrything else you and milkman sugested. But Knew terrain is importing correctly, just as it shows on the map in l3dt here is a screen with a very robotic clutter placement for your enjoyment.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qdpwnt.jpg

I believe that may be because your base texture size is to small