Sign in to follow this  
Yairweinberg

SAM/Anti Missile systems question.

I've watched the livestream and it didnt tell me much but we did see some cool footage and got a small tutorial

Now I wanted to ask, What kind of SAM systems will we get to see? I suppose the regular AA flak guns but heres a wild suggestion... S-400 or S-300 systems... Also Patriot and Spyder for shorter range work.. the S-300 and S-400 can also intercept balistic missiles (Not nuclear... Nukes will ruin the game... Just tactical ones like the russian used in 2008 againest georgian bunkers) Also the Iron dome and davids sling by Israel... The Iron dome can be carried out to the desired location put down and protect them from Short/medium range rockets same with the davids sling... By "rockets" I mean those that come out of the Multiple rocket launchers... You have to admit it will add more tactics into the game making artillery hit the S-300/400 positions first than having jets fire missiles (fire and forget/long range Air to ground work) at the anti missile systems than having the Multiple rocket launchers bombard the enemy postions... I think it would be cool But this is 1 mans opinion

Maybe some british rapier missle systems - could be trnsportable for the transport trucks show.

This is not a strategic warfare game, it's based about conventional warfare between two military forces operating according to international law

Naval warfare, ballistic missiles and anti ballistic missiles wont be simulated in ArmA 3 because there's little gameplay behind it. ABM systems are mostly automated, launching ballistic missiles is point and click(or insert coordinates and click),

and medium range/long range ballistic missiles aren't used in the scale of ArmA 3(an island)

ArmA 2 has Mando missile which simulates some of those things but there isn't much gameplay behind it

S-300/S-400 and other strategic SAMs don't fit with ArmA 3 very well because its scale is also too small for their use, fixed wing operations aren't simulated in-depth and a single S400 launcher has a radius that covers pretty much most of Altis, which is quite overpowered,

However, having them for story purposes(such as the unfunctional scuds in OA) might work, S-400 battery editor objects, a static Hawk/Patriot launcher, radar, which would be nonfunctional(or very basic and overpowered)

We will probably get standard AA vehicles with miniguns and SAM missiles, although I would like to see tactical ABM launchers(trophy for the merkava, an iron dome/David's sling) that can protect a small radius from artillery or rocket fire.

your ideas don't fit into arma because it's not recreating warfare on a strategic scale - fyi the s400 has a claimed range of 400km. how would it even fit into gameplay?

your ideas don't fit into arma because it's not recreating warfare on a strategic scale - fyi the s400 has a claimed range of 400km. how would it even fit into gameplay?

I know what the S-400 range is but since a lot of things are changed in this I thought they can tweak this too and yeah I know it doesnt fit but to tell you the truth it would have brought a new strategic play into this game/sim and I am still for the Iron dome david sling and so on ideas because as it currently stands (Considering it will be like Arma 2) aircraft are not playing a major roll in the raids even though they have the most firepower they arent really in the strategies or if they are its more of a oh theres some tanks go kill them instead of destroying enemy positions before infantry gets there you know what I mean?

Long range SAM systems like the S-300 are completely out of the scope of ArmA 3.

One battery would be able to cover the entire of Altis.

Short range units like Stinger and Igla are expected for air defence.

As others have said, its very unlikely you will see strategic options like this in ArmA. Hopefully someone can make something similar to Mando but for ArmA 3, Mando was great for ArmA 2 but it has become very outdated and still had some performance problems last time I had used it, the ideas behind it were solid though. It'd be great to see some of the guided missile cams and stuff in mando on PIP MFD's in ArmA 3.

I've watched the livestream and it didnt tell me much but we did see some cool footage and got a small tutorial

Now I wanted to ask, What kind of SAM systems will we get to see? I suppose the regular AA flak guns but heres a wild suggestion... S-400 or S-300 systems... Also Patriot and Spyder for shorter range work.. the S-300 and S-400 can also intercept balistic missiles (Not nuclear... Nukes will ruin the game... Just tactical ones like the russian used in 2008 againest georgian bunkers) Also the Iron dome and davids sling by Israel... The Iron dome can be carried out to the desired location put down and protect them from Short/medium range rockets same with the davids sling... By "rockets" I mean those that come out of the Multiple rocket launchers... You have to admit it will add more tactics into the game making artillery hit the S-300/400 positions first than having jets fire missiles (fire and forget/long range Air to ground work) at the anti missile systems than having the Multiple rocket launchers bombard the enemy postions... I think it would be cool But this is 1 mans opinion

Why would nukes ruin the game? There would insanely awesome missions made with them.

Imagine flying and all of a sudden you get hit with the shockwave and start loosing control, or if your close enough seeing vehicles and infantry fly down city streets tumbling into everyone before you go light out.

Why would nukes ruin the game? There would insanely awesome missions made with them.

Imagine flying and all of a sudden you get hit with the shockwave and start loosing control, or if your close enough seeing vehicles and infantry fly down city streets tumbling into everyone before you go light out.

You won't see them flying, in fact you won't see anything at all. Won't be any map left at all after a nuke hits.