Sign in to follow this  
WCG

Standard mission names

After a search of the forum, I've found similar posts about Arma and Arma 2, but nothing here yet. And even as a newbie, this is starting to drive me nuts.

I've been downloading a lot of co-op games, but it's getting harder and harder to find what I want when I'm playing, because there are no naming conventions. Many use some version of "COOP 06" or "CO_06" - or something like that - at the start, which helps (although, note that those two versions sort differently), but others aren't even close.

I've been renaming the files I download (in my case, I've been putting "CO_06," etc., at the start of the file name), so at least they sort alphabetically in the MPMissions folder. But unfortunately, that's not how they show up in the game. Normally, I want to find missions for a particular number of players, so it would really help if they sorted in-game like that.

Those other posts on naming conventions get much more complicated than that - and, of course, not all missions are co-op missions - but it doesn't have to be complicated. But without a strict naming convention, these missions won't sort conveniently - and even in alpha, even when I'm just beginning to accumulate missions, I can see what a pain this will be.

Of course, I don't know what to do about it. :)

Bill

The text you see in the game lobby is from the mission.sqm file (it's the Name: field in the editor where you set weather, time of day, etc).

What you can do is download your missions, rename the .pbo files to your co_24_ACE_MissionName_v2.pbo or whatever your favorite convention is (the great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from :p). De-pbo the mission, open the mission.sqm file and right near the top under the addons list you should find the mission 'name' which you can then change to reflect your naming convention.

Save, re-pack, voila. Yes it's a PITA :p

After a search of the forum, I've found similar posts about Arma and Arma 2, but nothing here yet.

Unless someone is willing to put in the time to sort out a naming convention like those you've linked to there probably won't be one. The biggest problem with a community wide naming convention is getting people to follow it. The Arma 2 version was once a sticky in the A2 & OA User Missions board, after a while it was no longer stickied and when asked why the author (I think it was the author) posted that it was no longer a sticky as no one was using it.

Your best bet currently is to follow SavageCDN's advice and rename the missions yourself. :)

...open the mission.sqm file and right near the top under the addons list you should find the mission 'name' which you can then change to reflect your naming convention.

Thank-you. That will work.

Bill