Sign in to follow this  
scorcher24

Please use the full spectrum of Steam

For me i am looking for ease of access, i am sick of telling friends how to install mods mostly they just give up, i dont want playwith six , mod launchers, changing command lines.

I want to be able to join a server and automatically install the mods used on the server, invite friends to play , browse for servers in steam and filter how i want them.

it seems most people that are serious about this game don't play random missions, with random players, on random servers. and if they do, I hope they expect their teammates might be going for kills over the 'objective'

Huh? Why would you pursue anything but the stated objective of a mission?

Huh? Why would you pursue anything but the stated objective of a mission?

I'm assuming that's the royal "you"

other than that, are you really asking why some people might pursue something other than the stated objective of a mission? there's no achievements ingame now, but never the less some people pursue something other than the stated objective of a mission. maybe they're noobs, stupid, bored... who knows. a question for multiplayer-game-philosophers perhaps...

how does that affect you?

How does it affect me if people are running around ruining missions? I have no idea.

I guess if DayZ is all you play achievements would only fit.

it seems most people that are serious about this game don't play random missions, with random players, on random servers. and if they do, I hope they expect their teammates might be going for kills over the 'objective'

No matter how serious people are - achievements will always bring out the worst in people. If achievements are enough to ruin some TF2 and even L4D2 games where stuff like teamwork exists mostly in people's imagination - they are enough to ruin 100% teamwork dependent game like ArmA

there's no achievements ingame now, but never the less some people pursue something other than the stated objective of a mission. maybe they're noobs, stupid, bored... who knows.

So let's encourage that behavior?

Edited by metalcraze

How does it affect me if people are running around ruining missions? I have no idea.

people will do that with or without 'achievements'

I guess if DayZ is all you play achievements would only fit.

not sure what you're saying, but I've been "daze23" since around 2000

people will do that with or without 'achievements'

See edit above.

like I said, a few games already just keep achievements out of multiplayer. I know a lot of you have zero interest in Arma as a single player game, but it exists

PLEASE DO NOT put achievements into ArmA. They are a cheap, disgusting gimmick that game makers put into games with little to no content to try to mask the fact that they have little to no content..

PLEASE DO NOT put achievements into ArmA. They are a cheap, disgusting gimmick that game makers put into games with little to no content to try to mask the fact that they have little to no content..

but what if they do have content?

there seems to be a lot of "achievements ruined my favorite game(s)" arguments being made. seems like a slippery slope fallacy

Well done achievments add to the game and are fun to do. It is a challenge though.

But whether you like it or not, they are a selling point. Deal with it.

That’s pretty much it.

If you want a good experience from this series you’ll need:

1/ Players you play with as a team/group/clan whatever, regularly (likeminded players), or indeed SP is great too, using your own missions.

2/ Private server.

3/ Your own missions/campaign style/type/story etc

That way you’ll get the max, I think, from the series.

Regards Steam, who really cares, if you have the above it makes Steam, just a tool to use..

If your using public servers, don't be surprised if they are filled with the public..

Couple cool and well considered achievements wouldn't be bad. They need to be something that isn't related too much in multiplayer so kids wouldn't just hunt those in public games.

I agree completely with that #2. Wouldn't do anything bad and only adds ease of use for newcomers. Also there was a poll while ago and I believe there were many that wanted something like this.

AC and Workshop have been discussed to death.

but what if they do have content?

there seems to be a lot of "achievements ruined my favorite game(s)" arguments being made. seems like a slippery slope fallacy

On the flip side, there are no compelling arguments for achievements.

Lots of people play SP only, btw.

I don't know why you guys discuss about achievements so much, it is not really that important. I was just a mentioning it.

I think 1,2 and 3 are far more important. Especially 2.

^ Agreed. Server browser right now sucks. (And it's related to "social" stuff as it is an extension of that)

Anchievments could be a nice way to "force" people to discovery some features or the game itself, not everything boils down to kill xthousand people with Y.

be creative with it.

On the flip side, there are no compelling arguments for achievements.

Lots of people play SP only, btw.

I mean, is there a 'compelling argument' for playing video games?

"some people like it" seems to be enough

Absolutely in favor of 2), the Steam server invite thingy. For other Steam games it just works. Period.

Anything that takes hassle away from setting up coop games is welcome. And it would be optional, so win-win

-OP

Then I personally won't bother with those mods.

Sounds harsh, but thats how it is. I won't install SixUpdater ever again. BI needs to ease up the mod installation and automate it and all is set.

And btw, people said this about Skyrim too, now look at the Workshop :).

I used to think that the Workshop is a good thing, but I can only say the same thing that others modders here said - with the current EULA forcing you to essentially give up your ownership rights, none of my addons will make it to the workshop ever.

@Achievements

If they are well done they can add to a game. That is all I say about it.

If they were well done, which they mostly aren't. They make "sense" for some games, but I have my doubts they make any sense for Arma, at least not for the style of gameplay that I prefer.

i'm totally in for nr.2, that would be a very BIG jump for the multiplayer side of arma, the current browser right now feels archaic

Didn't we already had the discussion about possible Steam features integrated in ArmA 3 a few months ago?

I think it ended with a Developer saying that they are considering it and that everything is still Work In Progress.

They game is still in Alpha stage, more Steam related features might be added trough the course of development. Just wait and see.....

Didn't we already had the discussion about possible Steam features integrated in ArmA 3 a few months ago?

I think it ended with a Developer saying that they are considering it and that everything is still Work In Progress.

They game is still in Alpha stage, more Steam related features might be added trough the course of development. Just wait and see.....

that's why we open threads/tickets about issues maybe?

The intent of a more or less public Alpha and Beta is to gain Feedback - so what am I doing wrong?

The intent of a more or less public Alpha and Beta is to gain Feedback - so what am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong, it's just that your points have already been discussed several times before.

Well then delete it if it annoys people when other people would like to voice their opinion.

This thread has been a lot about "achievements", and I myself like them.............as is, per mission!